R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 10:34am
I dont like towing at night so thats not the issue for me but if the light bar worked as a brake light I think that would dramatically improve the overall safety of towing.
sjf
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 11:19am
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 11:47am
Here is a tail/brake light bar that is 18" (17.88") long.  Use some black paint to make it appear to be 3 lights.  Then you would have a center clearance light/brake light:  http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=TRUCK&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Fblb-r9.htm  Mount this on the AC unit.

Terry 
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 1:20pm
So here is where it stands on the "what if o-meter" based on what I have found out through experts and legal council over the last year while working the issue with NHTSA/DOT etc:

"If" Forest River does get a waiver from NHTSA and no recall is issued:
- It doesn't necessarily make trailer legal to drive/license in your state.   State laws and requirements take precedent over what NHTSA says.
- It doesn't necessarily exempt the dealer who sold you the trailer or FR from legal liability in your state. (in some states it illegal for a dealer to sell you a non-compliant trailer, even if they didn't know it wasn't compliant at the time) 
- It doesn't clear FR from being on the losing end of a class action lawsuit regardless of waiver
- Individuals are also free to take FR or their dealer to civil court over misrepresentation of product, loss of use of trailer, as well as loss of trailer value due to "defect"
- Your trailer might not be legal for sale in your state, depending on state laws.   If a dealer buys your trailer used, THEY will have to fix it before they could resell it.  Which could mean no trade in value on R-Pod's with out lights.

Should you try to retrofit the trailer youself:
- I was advised by legal council to not attempt it.   Why?  Right now if you are in an accident and insufficient illumination is to blame, then ultimately FR and even your RV dealer would end up with financial responsibility.    If you attempt a retrofit yourself (due to difficulty in getting things right) you may not get it done correclty and then could assume legal liability if illumination is found to be fault of an accident.
- 3 top lights must have illumination parallel to the ground, which is extremely difficult to do without building a custom piece.  Which is going to be beyond most everyones technical expertise to get it right and attached to the trailer.

Considering how little feedback I think FR "thought" they would get on their waiver petition, I bet they are not happy with what has been submitted.   Personally I think FR legal department has a screw loose, as they have to know that retrofiting the trailers would cost them significant less than fighting individual civil cases, class action cases, as well as other legal costs associated with their actions.   But then again, it could be like everything else.....they could be blissfully ignorant of the facts and ignorant of fact that the NHTSA case isn't just one "crazy" (me) owner who filled a formal complaint.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 4:05am
I think there were only 34 comments made.  Now we just have to wait for the decision I guess.  If it goes against Forest River I hope we can get the recall work done at any Forest River dealer.  I really don't want to drive back to Ohio for the work to be done.

Terry
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 9:28pm
I will have pictures up tommorrow, as storm is coming through and need to get computer equipment around here turned off.  

The retrofit "light bar" up top attaches to aluminum rails that are on each side of trailer and is glued onto the trailer with some kind of adhesive.   The wires are run over to the passanger side rail and is run in rail down the ouside of the trailer.  (there is a white rubber cover thing that covers rail)   Wire goes down to right opposite of the right side rear indicator light.   They then drill a small hole through the rail so the whole intersects cavity where rear right side light is installed, then wire is attached to that indicator light.   They then then caulk up that hole so it doesn't leak.

So the light bar retrofit doesn't require the removal of any panels, disabling the trailer shell, or anything major like that.  Only place were they have to "compromise" the integrity of the shel is a 3/8 inch hole drilled inside the aluminum channel.

I have pictures of the fender lights, but haven't crawled up under trailer to see exactly where its wired in.   But I think they just ran wires up to the junction box that is up under my 172 about midway down the trailer body.

I also talked to my R-POD dealer, as I found a spot on the retrofit were they screwed up (you will see in pictures I will post tommorrow).   And told them that forest river says they are paying them $100 a hour for the retrofit.   The guy laughed out loud and said due to fact forest river is reimbursing them at warranty service rates, that they weren't even making a third of that an hour.   When I pushed him on exactly how much he billed FR for the retrofit, he kind of realized he might be putting himself in the middle of something and declined to answer.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 5:41pm
I like the idea of adding a highly-placed brake light at the same time - not much extra work.  The existing 2 brake lights are rather low.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 4:08pm
Ok I just got off the phone with NHTSA in regards to this.  They are still working on this and have not thrown it away.  I need to learn to sit patiently as we wait to hear what the ruling will be.  I did speak with a person very knowledgeable on this document as he handles the inconsequentialty Petitions.  (I just love call Washington DC)
HerbL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HerbL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 5:47pm
Thanks for the info. Rpodcamper.  We do a lot of long distance traveling with our Pod and wold feel safer with the REQUIRED lighting (the regulations are very clear on this).
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Ok I just got off the phone with NHTSA in regards to this.  They are still working on this and have not thrown it away.  I need to learn to sit patiently as we wait to hear what the ruling will be.  I did speak with a person very knowledgeable on this document as he handles the inconsequentialty Petitions.  (I just love call Washington DC)

I had nothing better to do at work as I watched Windows Updating on 3 machines so I called Washing DC Again.  Update is that it is still under review and they are "hopefull" to have the outcome out soon.  And I thought Maple syrup moved slow.  I'm going to wait to install the lights on the fender but get a clamp on set to use a temp measure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>