R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 7:15am
Another thing is:

1.  Why would they NOT know the regulations?  It isn't like they have never made trailers.

2.  If they DID  know, why did they pull a stunt like this?  Trying to get away with cutting corners for more profit?

They may get away with this because of the low number of customers that will make a comment on this issue.  If that is the case we will either have to go without the lights and pay that cost if something happens.  Or, at our own cost add the necessary lights.  I could do the fenders with no problem but I'm not so sure about the clearance marker lights.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 2:49pm
There are still some comments that have not yet posted to the site.  I know of at least 2 others that are waiting.  Todays the last day to post comments so ifd you are sitting on the fence about posting something need to do it now.  Thanks for all who have posted!
harleyguy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote harleyguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:12pm
My comments have been successfully sent.  Thanks to all who led the way on this important issue for all Podders.
Marshal
2011 R-177
Longview, Tx
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 2:17pm
Good luck to you all!  Hopefully the right thing will be done.

Do you remember this conversation?????

Mostly for cosmetics????Ying Yang

On the prior page in the above link (scroll back) cane2 "nailed it" early on.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 5:18pm
Good catches, David.  Well, now we know what the spoiler is really for.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tidalwave4455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 11:08pm
My neighbor's trailers (not R-Pods) have the required triple lights in the center but also two other lights at the rear far left and right.   From the photos displayed by several forum members of their newly installed rear spoilers, it appears that the spoiler does not have the outer lights.  Are the outer lights also required by NHTSA regs?
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Tidalwave4455

My neighbor's trailers (not R-Pods) have the required triple lights in the center but also two other lights at the rear far left and right.   From the photos displayed by several forum members of their newly installed rear spoilers, it appears that the spoiler does not have the outer lights.  Are the outer lights also required by NHTSA regs?

According to the engineer I talked to with DOT they don't need outer lights on spoiler on R-Pod.    Requirement is indicator lights to front and rear need to be at widest/highest point of trailer.   Widest points on R-POD is the fenders.  Which is why the retrofit kit puts yellow/orange lights facing forward on the fender and red lights facing backward's on the fenders.   In DOT view is is important for the outer lights to be on widest points, and 3 indicator lights to be up as high as practical.
sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 12:09am
I posted tonight.
sjf
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 9:23am
If their request is granted and I have to make this change myself, I'll find generic orange LED-based marker lights and glue them in place.  There are several directions I could go with the wire, but ultimately its going to have to run behind the soft molding that runs along both sides of the trailer (which is removeable), to the front of the pod where I can then tap into the wires coming from the Bargman connector.  I'm camping this weekend so I'll take a minute to eyeball the situation.  Heck, I might even cheat and add the lights to the rear of the A/C housing.  Then I won't have wires (or wire channels) visible anywhere!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 9:29am
Not a bad idea there Doug!  Besides up on the AC housing would be a better location than what FR is doing.
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>