R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 11:14am
Originally posted by David and Danette

We recieved our letter in the mail about two weeks back. We took it to Camping World about five days later to have it looked at. They ordered the recall kit that day. Friday they called and said the recall package arrived and we have a appointment tommorow to have the work done. They said it would take a few hours. And since I had already added lights to the fenders they said that Forest River asked that they take pictures of the fenders showing that they were in compliance with the law. So they will just be adding the light bar on top of the Rpod.   David 
   Arrived at  Camping World yesterday for the instalation of the recall kit. After a while of waiting they told me they were unable to get started because the instuctions that were included with the kit were for a different trailer. They contacted Forest River and are now waiting for a reply for the correct instructions for instalation. Hopefully today the instalation will be completed.
Its finally completed! recived a call this morning the camper was ready to be picked up. The work they did was good and the lights add to the apperance of the Rpod. We hope it adds to the gas mileage, I'm thinking positive that it will help. We will not know for sure because we have changed our tow vehicle and have not been camping since.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 3:43pm

We recieved our letter in the mail about two weeks back. We took it to Camping World about five days later to have it looked at. They ordered the recall kit that day. Friday they called and said the recall package arrived and we have a appointment tommorow to have the work done. They said it would take a few hours. And since I had already added lights to the fenders they said that Forest River asked that they take pictures of the fenders showing that they were in compliance with the law. So they will just be adding the light bar on top of the Rpod.   David 
   Arrived at  Camping World yesterday for the instalation of the recall kit. After a while of waiting they told me they were unable to get started because the instuctions that were included with the kit were for a different trailer. They contacted Forest River and are now waiting for a reply for the correct instructions for instalation. Hopefully today the instalation will be completed.
Its finally completed! recived a call this morning the camper was ready to be picked up. The work they did was good and the lights add to the apperance of the Rpod. We hope it adds to the gas mileage, I'm thinking positive that it will help. We will not know for sure because we have changed our tow vehicle and have not been camping since.

Good! Glad they got it sorted out.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Podsible Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 7:14pm
Hi y'all. Check out the threads on the nation forum about this topic. It makes interesting reading. And it addresses some of the points you folks have brought up. Note that until now FR has been acting proactively.

Glad to see that the NTSB has finally approved the recall, though. Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 10:35pm
     I did go over to the Rpodnation forum. It sounds like the begining of a movie. That could happen if someone were to get seriously hurt or killed from a accident because of the result of poor lighting on the Rpods. By what I understand Forest River is still not willing to admit the older Rpods have improper lighting. Since I put the lights on the fenders my self for safety, we have felt much safer. The Rpods with out fender lights are unsafe or else the law would not require them. Would like to add besides the problem with the lights we are thankful for Forest River building the quality Rpod that it is. They are a succesful company, my mother has a Chevy Cruze in less than two years she has had about five recalls. Sometimes companies not intentionally overlook technical things. I would think that if Forest River knew the lights were not according to the law thay would of made sure they were when they built the Rpods.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 7:27am
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Ray- Have you thought about contacting Susan at Forest River to see if 1) were parts shipped out for your unit and 2) can you take it to another place that is willing to work with Forest River for payment.?  At first I was thinking it may be a different part as you have a 15X camper but they are as wide as the 17X Campers so should be the same part.  I know some units have been repaired at other places from the research I have been doing on this. 

After sending another email to my dealer, I got an email from them yesterday saying that FR will be shipping the kit to them tomorrow, meaning today.  I find it interesting that after 3-weeks since being told it would be taken care of that, magically the dealer is blaming FR and saying they will now ship the kit.  I guess I should contact Susan to report the dealer, if nothing else.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
g4royce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote g4royce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 2:06pm
Just got our 'pod back from the dealer yesterday and they seemed to have done a good job.  We have a 152 so its up there with the a/c....

Our dealer also told us that they had to install the fender lights exactly where they did (4" in from the sides) bc of DOT regulations and that moving it further out was not negotiable.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 4:45pm

Since your bar is higher than the placement for the 17x and 18x I'll be interested to see if you do in fact notice a change in your MPG.  Yours might be high enough to actually affect the turbulence in the wake.

A shame they have to put the lights so far in.  IMO that negates half of the reason for the recall - to put marker lights on the widest part of the trailer.  At four inches in they might as well have left them off.  I'll have to talk to my dealer about that before they do the work.  Maybe I'll see if they can just run the wires to the fenders and leave them taped there then I'll install the lights myself.  On the outer edge.

Looks like you are starting to get the infamous decal peeling like I did. 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
g4royce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote g4royce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 5:20pm
We were a bit surprised at how high the bar was and also a bit concerned that it was so close to the a/c.  Our dealer said that DOT says it has to be level with the highest part of the body of the vehicle.

In regards to mpg, we have seen 13.5-14 (if our car's readout is to be trusted) over flat terrain on the highway a few times when towing ever so slightly nose-up by moving the weight to the back compartment. Our average speed was 55-60 Unhappy  You know, those times when everyone on the HW is passing you and you secretly refer to the thing you're towing behind your car as the "snail-pod" Embarrassed. However we usually average 11-12mpg on most trips.

The lights are actually just simple screws, screwed into the fender, so it's easy to move them, but there will be holes where it was originally installed.

The front decals were already curling when we got our 'pod in fall of 2010, but this year we were surprised to see the back decals start to peel.  We haven't decided what to do about it yet, though I've threatened to have it wrapped into a mouse, a tomato, pumpkin or even a Pokemon when Greg is out of town LOL

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by g4royce

We were a bit surprised at how high the bar was and also a bit concerned that it was so close to the a/c.  Our dealer said that DOT says it has to be level with the highest part of the body of the vehicle.

Light bar doesn't really have to be at extreme top of vehicle.   The standard, per FMVSS 108 is:
"On the rear—3 lamps as close as practicable to the top of the vehicle at the same height, as close as practicable to the vertical centerline, with lamp centers spaced not less than 6 inches or more than 12 inches apart"  
This is to allow for wierd shape trailers where putting at extreme top of vehicle would mean mounting of clearance indicators in a position that would no longer be at the back of the vehicle.

Per the engineering drawings submitted to the NHTSA it looks like the dealer installed it much higher up than it needed to be.   Should be lower and more like it was above the front of the Window.  (maybe 8-10 inches closer to the back)    From a safety standpoint it should serve its purpose the way it is.
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 7:11pm
I would also like to add that the side clearance lights, per CFR 571.108 Table ll, should be mounted "to indicate the overall width of the vehicle"

That, to me means install them as far to the outside as possible to meet the intended purpose of indicating the extreme width of the vehicle.  I plan to tell my dealer where I want them installed and have a copy of the spec when I take the Pod in for the recall work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>