R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote secretbard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:59pm
This is great news.  So, for the layman, what does this actually mean?  What exactly are they obligated to fix?  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill-GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:06pm
So how does a pod owner who bought his pod from a private owner in GA get the work done? Hmmmmmm.... Is there a FR factory /authorized rep near Atlanta, Ga?  Should I call them and register as an owner? Do I need to take it to them?  Lots of questions ...
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:09pm
Forest River isn't a publically owned company.   Its a company owned by Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet).    But that is largely irrelevant.

Long before lawyers and NHTSA was involved the people at the company failed to react, recognize and remidy the problem.    I forgot how many times I heard the line "we couldn't have sold it, if it wasn't safe"....lol   While I agree there are good people at the company.    I believe the company failed me as a consumer.   As a culture within a company that doesn't treat every safety concern seriously is a danger to the company and the consumer.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:21pm
All Owners would need to wait for a letter to come to them from Forest River.  Someone who bought used should still be contacted as your DMV would have records of the transfer. 

I am glad someone took this thing by the bull horns and reasearched and then filed the complaint.  Thank you!
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Bill-GA

So how does a pod owner who bought his pod from a private owner in GA get the work done? Hmmmmmm.... Is there a FR factory /authorized rep near Atlanta, Ga?  Should I call them and register as an owner? Do I need to take it to them?  Lots of questions ...

They will pull records from vehicle registrations (by VIN Number) for the trailer.  And per NHTSA procedure are then required to send out recall notices to those who have the trailers registered and licenced.

But before that happens, they have to submit a remidiation time table to the NHTSA to illustrate a plan for remidiation of the problem and a timetable by which the plan will be completed.   There is a statute on how long FR has to complete the establishment of the plan, and by when they have to communicate to the consumer.   (But don't have that information at hand.)

In theory though (if FR decided to) they could start fixing the trailers immediatly, as they already have a retrofit kit manufacturered to fix the problem from the canadian recall and already have instructions they can send to dealers.

The work should be able to be done by any Forest River registered dealer, and shouldn't have to be done by a Forest River dealer who carries RPod's.

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:33pm
"But before that happens, they have to submit a remidiation time table to the NHTSA to illustrate a plan for remidiation of the problem and a timetable by which the plan will be completed. There is a statute on how long FR has to complete the establishment of the plan, and by when they have to communicate to the consumer. (But don't have that information at hand.)"

From my research this is a few weeks and they will be working with the Recall Department of NHTSA so we still have a bit of time possibly before action is started to fix the lighting. 

As a temp measure I have a set of lights I clamp on the fenders as I have a few trips planned pulling at night.
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:33pm
Actually the fact that Berkshire Hathaway owns FR makes it a public company.  FR by itself may be wholly owned by Berkshire, that company is public with all of its shareholders interests coming before the ultimate customer.  Bean counters, and attorneys having to justify their positions is the key.  Of course, profits and dividends paid by Berkshire Hathaway to its shareholders is the justification they use.  Anyone of us could buy some of Berkshire Hathaway stock and then be a shareholder in FR.  You could then attend the annual meeting and comment.  Any takers?
b
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:37pm
If they haven't changed the retrofit kit from last year, and are stil using the same kit.   Retrofit of U.S. trailer should look something like this.

Front Fender Light
Front Fender

Back Fender Light
Back

Top Light bar

Wire under fender that blocks track (I fixed it after picture)

Closer picture of back left where bar is glued to trailer
left joint
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 2:13pm

I hope they mount the fender lights closer to the outer edge.  Doesn't make much sense to add a marker light there when there is another 4" of camper beyond it.  I'll make sure I ask my dealer to mount them farther out.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:17pm
Info posted from the FR Facebook RPod page via FR themselves.

US clearance light recall information will be posted within the next 24 hrs and will include timeline information, who the recall affects and what to expect with this recall. Please do not call the plant or your dealer in regards to the recall - until AFTER you have reviewed the information that will be posted. Your dealer can not do anything at this point - and until we (r.pod) follow the guidelines & government regulations on how to conduct a recall - neither can we.
All questions will be adressed right here on Facebook.
Thank you ~ & ~ Happy Podding !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>