Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNuesto Pod at Adoph Thomae Jr County Park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nuesto Pod at Adoph Thomae Jr County Park
    Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 12:15pm

We went out again this past weekend to one of our close by camping spots, Adolph Thomae Jr. County Park.  Being close by, we left after work on Fri. to make the 40 min drive.  We got all set up with one minor incident, while pounding in stakes for the R-Dome I missed the stake and, you guessed it, hit one of my fingers instead.  So after a short bit of getting the bleeding to stop and wrapping it, we continued to finish setting up. The weather was great it cooled down nicely and we sat in the dome with my iPod playing through the entertainment system.  While sitting there, we thought we heard a rustling in the bushes on the unoccupied site next to us; a short while later we saw about 5-6 wild pigs at the faucet for the site next to us which had a constant drip trying to get a drink.  (According to the park guy, it’s been so dry they are looking for fresh water anywhere).  Not really wanting them around we went out of the dome and they scattered.  I would guess they came back later once we went inside. 

Saturday we spent reading, watching the birds, Orioles, warblers, cardinals and others drinking from the dripping water faucet and taking a drive to “deer town” Port Mansfield.  Port Mansfield is primarily a hot spot for fishing, but also is the home of several small herds of deer who roam freely about the town residences. Early Sat. evening an older Saturn coupe with a couple, he appeared to be somewhat older than she, pulled into the site next to us, the one with the dripping faucet.  He asked if the electricity worked. I said I would guess it does. He then got a 19” flat screen tv out of the car and plugged it in.  Apparently, it wouldn’t work like he wanted and unplugged it.  He then sat down and appeared to read the manual. Once he completed that he plugged it in, using an adapter in the car.  They had their cooler of beer and a couple of chairs and sat and watched some Mexican variety show.  While they were watching the wild pigs made another appearance but again were chased away.  Even though it was dark we could see the couple picking up some rocks as ammunition against the invaders.  We stayed out in the dome until 11 or so to see if they would leave. We gave up and went inside to bed.  Much to our surprise, in the morning the car was still there with a blanket in the window facing the sun.  Finally, about 9:30 am we saw him get out of the car take the trash over to the trash barrel get in the car and leave with the blanket still in the window. It was probably one of the strangest things I have seen while camping. We still wonder what went one once we went to bed Sat. night.

Sunday was another relaxing day of reading and watching the activity.  Unfortunately, since I still work, about 4:00 we broke camp and made the short drive home.  It was another great weekend podding with Nuestro Pod.  Next trip in 2 wks to I.B. Magee Beach Park in Port Aransas, TX.

Site 27 Nice Shade

One of the resident lizards

Deer at Port Mansfield

Not sure what they were talking about

Curved bill Curlew

Sunset over the Arroyo Colorado

Another shot of the sunset

Happy Podding

2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 2:15pm
For better or for worse they may have been homeless and freeloading for the night.  I think its become a problem for places like Wal-Mart, too.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 4:32pm
Thanks for the cool post and pics! Smile
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 7:28pm
Yeah, PMJ - you always write such a good journal/diary type of thing!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 12:00pm
Wonderful read as always,but why didn't Nuestro Pod write this latest entry? Was he feeling under the weather??  Unhappy
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 9:13am
He only feel that certain adventures are worth his effort.  So I have to fill in.

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by pmjensen

He only feel that certain adventures are worth his effort.  So I have to fill in.

Happy Podding
Ah yes, writers................LOL
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
 Post Reply Post Reply