Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst trip with new tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First trip with new tow vehicle
    Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 11:38pm
We finally got to take our first trip towing the pod with my new-to-me Dakota Thumbs Up  It's been 4 LONG weeks since I traded my V6 Ranger for the V8 Dakota.  I'm thrilled with my new ride.  We did not use my Equalizer hitch.  I've not taken the time to re-adjust it for the new truck.  I want to add axle risers to the pod as soon as I can get the extra money and I don't want to have to play with the Equalizer twice.  I used the drawbar that I used with the Ranger and the tongue was way to high.  Luckily I had another drawbar which was lower and it put the pod right where it should be.  We pulled out Friday morning for Kings Mountain State Park.  The ride was great.  I was able to pull the hills just fine.  Sway was not an issue.  We ate supper and were sitting by the campfire when the breeze picked up a bit and heard thunder in the distance. We covered or moved anything we did not want to get wet and were enjoying the evening until we saw our first flash of lightning.  Into the pod we went Ouch  We were cozy and dry.  Saturday and Sunday were beautiful.  But the weather forecast said we were in for possible storms tonight and probable heavy rains tomorrow so we decided to pack up and come home tonight.  It's no fun breaking camp in the rain Unhappy  Now that I know I have a truck that will take us where we want to go, we will start frequenting other campgrounds more.  Below are photos of the pod with the new truck.  My new graphics for the truck should be here next week and I'm excited about getting them on.  Will post more photos when it's done.

Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 8:20am
Looks good. I don't think the Pods are quite as "light pulling" as they look, a V-8 is a good call. Looking forward to seeing the truck graphics..

We had the same sort of weekend.. Down in middle Tennessee, by Sunday morning they were predicting a inch + of rain/thunderstorms overnight with "steady" rain Monday morning, so we packed up and eased home Sunday evening..
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 4:44pm
Come guys, just put on your swimming trunks and break camp in the rain!LOL  I have had to do it in the rain and it is NO fun!  BTW, that is a good looking setup!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 5:18pm
But you get a shower at the same time !
Ready to pod around!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by TerryM

Come guys, just put on your swimming trunks and break camp in the rain!LOL  I have had to do it in the rain and it is NO fun!  BTW, that is a good looking setup!

Terry

20 years camping in Uncle Sam's biggest, heaviest, most dangerous "RV". All kinds of weather, all kinds of terrain. I have been in rain so heavy we had to run the bilge pump continuously, so cold my sleeping bag froze to the top of the tank.. with me in it. So hot we "cooked" our MRE's by just laying them on the back deck... I didn't mind. In fact, tanks are fun. I would of stayed longer if they would of still let me play with them...

But the MRS.. well, lets just say she doesn't see it that way. We have ridden 60+ miles in a day on a bicycle in the rain, never a complaint. But if it's raining at the start of a ride, and we don't HAVE to ride.. she doesn't. Which means, we don't. So "if" it's raining, OK. But if she knows it's GOING to be raining..

She has been watching the radar for down there in Tenn. all day.. saying.. look, still all green..
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 6:32pm
Looking good, Serrie! The rig has a long lean look to it... You are making me wish for a V8...
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 9:03pm
Definitely good looking together!  Of course I gotta ask... what was your mpg? Wink
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 4:56pm
Great looking setup!  Glad it is working out well for you.  Thumbs Up
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:35pm
Pod looks nice with the new TV!!

We spent most of our weekend in the rain as well, I was miserable breaking camp today.  The radar was green for miles all around.  Confused
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 10:57pm
Thanks for all the comments.  I've not checked the mileage pulling the pod yet.  I'm getting about 18.5 mpg during daily driving without the pod.  The campground we usually go to is only 30 minutes away and this weekend I just didn't want to go top off the tank just to check my mileage.  We are planning to go a bit further on our next trip, 1.25 hours one way.  I plan to do a mpg check during that trip and will let you know.

BTW: my new graphics for the truck arrived today and I plan to apply them this weekend.  Will post pictures after the job is complete.
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>