R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone using their 'pod as a shelter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone using their 'pod as a shelter?
    Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 1:55pm
Before Irene hit, I filled up my water tank and made sure my battery was fully charged.  I figured we could at least get a good shower for a few days if the power went out and our generator failed.  Luckily the power didn't go out  (don't know how, see the link below for an outage map of our area).  I'm curious if anyone is now using theirs, either for A/C with a genset or for showers, etc.  If you are, what recommendations would you make for the future if others have to do this?  Store more water?  Stock the shelves ahead of time?

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 3:02am
I was preparing to use mine as a shelter, if for nothing more than the ability for a hot shower and the gas cooktop to make breakfast and dinner.  There are many in my area who encountered very bad flooding... just look at the pictures of route 287 with half the highway washed away as well as numerous other floodings encountered in north jersey.  You guys on the shore seemed to have escaped much of the damage this time by comparison.  A lot of roads around me were flooded over and the wind gusts were over 45mph.  

As far as recommendations:

If you have a genny, make sure you have the gas to operate it.  I had to run to the gas station the day before it hit and had to wait in a line of 30 cars to fill up my five gallon cans.

As far as food, we always have something in the cubbard at home, even if it's just canned food and PB&J.      
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
FISHTAIL View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 10:02am
We stocked ours up to be used as a shelter, cooled the fridge down and moved some of the more important stuff from the house fridge over to the pod. 

We did end up loosing power, and while we were sitting in the pod eating breakfast I heard the sump pump kick back on, so we didn't bother hanging out there long enough to shower.  I just cleaned up, went back inside and continued life as normal.

Thankfully we only lost power for about 7 hours, but I'm still bitter.  I was in OBX when we got evacuated...2nd year in a row.  First Earl, now Irene.  Stupid hurricanes.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 1:42pm
I have a 8K watt genset on wheels, ramps for the Jeep and a small winch mounted inside to pull the genset up the ramp.  It was filled with gas and 10 gallons of gas for it.  We also have a hurricane package ready every year.  Lots of food, water and cat food and litter.  The Pod was in my driveway ready to fill up in a flash.  My evacuation route is planned and is on all back roads up to I-10.  From that point I can go north, east or west as needed.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 10:35pm
The R-Pod...

Better than a Bug-out bag.  Smile
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 10:00am
Unless a tree falls on it first.  Pinch
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 8:03pm
yes just last night here in central pa wenhad rivers flooding we were given about an hour to get out as the water was rising both homes we have have been flooded to some degree so we will be living in the pod till we vcan see what we need to do
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 8:35pm

Very sorry to hear that.  I hope the damage isn't too bad.  Its amazing how the damage from this storm is so much worse for the mid-Atlantic than it was for the hurricane.

One can see in the link below there is lots of pink and purple (10 and 12 inches) on this rainfall total map, over the general Lancaster area.  Just be happy you aren't in Virginia where there is lots of white (15 inches).

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=lwx&product=NTP&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 10:08am
In central NJ we had 8.25" of rain from Irene, some wind but not too bad. My rain gauge had 19.88" for August, so we were 5 times average for the month. We had filled the pod's water tank and kept it plugged in so the batteries were charged. Fortunately no power loss, but the town water pumping station and sewage plant were flooded. The water station had to replace all their electrical equipment and the surrounding town let us use here water. We were under a boil only order for a couple of days. We had enough bottled water that we didn't need to use the pod water by the time the order was lifted.
I left for this trip to Lithuania before Lee hit, so I don't really know what is happening except the family says it has been raining alot.
Haven't seen any R-Pods over here yet. They do have a lot of small trailers though, similar to the one that David has.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 1:05pm
Definitely need a picture if you spot a pod over there!  Have a safe trip.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>