R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery draining with cut off switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery draining with cut off switch
    Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 4:15pm
It looks like if you just lifted the battery out of the box and rotated it 180 degrees, when the lid is installed with the vent channels/wire channels nearest the Pod, the switch lugs/terminals would be well away from either of the battery terminals.  But again, I don't see anything in the picture that would indicate anything foul was going on.

If you haven't already done so, and while you are messsing about with your battery, it helps to drill a few drain holes in the bottom of the black box (NOT the battery)......they will eventually fill with water, otherwise.  I always drill about 4   3/8" holes for drainage. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 4:05pm
My best diagnosis from 200 +or- miles away is you just got a bad battery and it should be replaced under warranty.

kymooses View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 3:58pm
Yup, I don't see any signs of heat damage or arcing or melted wires or anything.

Someone else mentioned the proximity of the wires to the positive terminal so I put some electrical tape over the bottom inside of the switch in case some arcing was occuring that might possibly be discharging my battery.

So if it seems I'm wired right I don't see how the battery can discharge completely in 3 days time when the key isn't even inserted.  I guess we're looking at replacing the battery completely now?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by kymooses

Well first off here is my wiring for the switch, does this look right to everyone?

If that looks right I think I might just remove the switch and see if the switch is bad or not?  Dunno, but again the battery is completely dead and the switch was turned off the whole time.

The wiring looks OK to me - negative straight to the trailer, positive to the switch, then to the trailer.
The only potential concern MIGHT be in how you orient your box lid over the battery.  With the exposed positive switch lugs, your lid could be installed in such a way as to come in contact or very close to the negative post of the battery.  However, if this were happening, I would expect to see arching and/or heat damage around the terminals/wires.  I don't see that in the picture.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 11:45am

Definitely sounds like a battery problem.  A fully charged lead-acid battery should only loose about 2% per day during warm weather, and half of that in the middle of winter.  Worse, a battery's voltage should never, ever drop below 11.75 volts at rest (30% state of charge).  Even fully discharged it shouldn't be below 10.5.  

6 volts means a completely dead and permanently damaged battery, ready for a recycling center.  It needs to be replaced under warranty!

Everything you ever wanted to know about lead acid batteries:  http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 11:32am
Well first off here is my wiring for the switch, does this look right to everyone?

If that looks right I think I might just remove the switch and see if the switch is bad or not?  Dunno, but again the battery is completely dead and the switch was turned off the whole time.
HerbL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 8:46am
This probably won't help, but I found that the cable on my battery came loose twice, It has thumb screws for tightening, not bolts like on a car. I had to re-tighten with a pair of pliers. Good luck. 
harleyguy1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 7:31am
David is correct, taking a charge and holding a charge are totally different.  Interstate Batteries, or any other seller of batteries , have equipment called a 'Load Tester' to properly test the condition of the battery.  The battery should be put on charge  prior to taking it to the battery dealer. 
Marshal
2011 R-177
Longview, Tx
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 6:41am
I don't know if this will help any, but:

I interprit the material to say any Interstate dealer can/could provide warranty service (this would include the person who sold you the battery).

IMHO, accepting a charge and holding a charge are 2 entirely different animals.  The problem seems to lie in finding someone willing to do the right thing (replace the battery).  Good luck.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 4:03am
Contact Interstate Battery about the problem.  They "might" do something.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>