R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery draining with cut off switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery draining with cut off switch
    Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 5:56pm
I dunno how or why but our battery is dying with our battery cut off switch turned off?

Weird right?  Any thoughts?  I mean I don't understand how it can totally 100% discharge with the key not even in the switch.

Also it seems to be draining very quickly.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 9:19pm
Its possible the cutoff switch is broken.  With only the battery connected (no shore power or Bargeman connector connected to your vehicle), can you turn on the lights in the 'pod with the cutoff switch on and off?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TheDogHouse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 10:52pm
I'm having the exact same problem, and I added a cut off switch as well. Mind if I ask what battery you have? Mine's an Interstate - Green on top and white bottom. I took it to the local Interstate Warranty dealer to have him check it and he said it is fine and took a charge. I too can get it to take a charge, it just won't keep it. I can't help but think the battery is the issue. Would love to hear some other folks experiences with their batteries if any.
Steve and Rosa
11' 173T
09' Silverado Extended Cab
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Its possible the cutoff switch is broken.  With only the battery connected (no shore power or Bargeman connector connected to your vehicle), can you turn on the lights in the 'pod with the cutoff switch on and off?

Right now the battery is totally drained, with the switch in on or off positions it doesn't work.  But before when the battery had a charge I was able to use lights when it was in the on position.

It's just strange that within 3 days the battery went from a full charge to completely dead with the switch removed.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by TheDogHouse

I'm having the exact same problem, and I added a cut off switch as well. Mind if I ask what battery you have? Mine's an Interstate - Green on top and white bottom. I took it to the local Interstate Warranty dealer to have him check it and he said it is fine and took a charge. I too can get it to take a charge, it just won't keep it. I can't help but think the battery is the issue. Would love to hear some other folks experiences with their batteries if any.

Mine is the same brand battery.  I'm thinking of removing the switch tomorrow and trying to see if I can charge the battery and then see if it will hold the charge without the switch.

Dunno what else to even try besides take the switch out of the equation.
TheDogHouse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 11:35pm
When I brought the battery back from the Interstate Warrany dealer in my area I decided to leave it sit on the work bench in my garage for a little over a week. The battery dropped from 12.8 volts to 9.7 in 5 days and then fell to 6 volts two days later. The Warranty dealer is holding his ground that it "Takes a charge", Couch's RV is telling me that it isn't their problem, I'm not sure what to do from here other than spend more money. I will not buy another Interstate battery, that is for sure.
Steve and Rosa
11' 173T
09' Silverado Extended Cab
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 4:03am
Contact Interstate Battery about the problem.  They "might" do something.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 6:41am
I don't know if this will help any, but:

I interprit the material to say any Interstate dealer can/could provide warranty service (this would include the person who sold you the battery).

IMHO, accepting a charge and holding a charge are 2 entirely different animals.  The problem seems to lie in finding someone willing to do the right thing (replace the battery).  Good luck.
harleyguy1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 7:31am
David is correct, taking a charge and holding a charge are totally different.  Interstate Batteries, or any other seller of batteries , have equipment called a 'Load Tester' to properly test the condition of the battery.  The battery should be put on charge  prior to taking it to the battery dealer. 
Marshal
2011 R-177
Longview, Tx
HerbL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 8:46am
This probably won't help, but I found that the cable on my battery came loose twice, It has thumb screws for tightening, not bolts like on a car. I had to re-tighten with a pair of pliers. Good luck. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>