R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Service Optional?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Service Optional?
    Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:35am
furpod, that's not normal.  I routinely have my cars warrenty work done at dealerships other than the one I purchased from.  In fact, I'd have to do some reading, but I think they are required to perform the work whether they want to or not.  

I'd say your experience was some kind of odd isolated incident, because with cars, that's generally not the case.  I'm not even sure what they did to you is legal actually, but you'd have to do some research to determine that.  At the very least, I'd think they could get in trouble with the manufacturer for not honoring your warranty.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 5:38pm
I agree, the car industry is different and the manufacturers require all dealerships to service all models, warranty work or not.  You should report that to VW.  Heck, in this economic climate I've heard local dealerships advertise that they'll service any make/model even if it isn't one they sell!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 12:53pm
I was reading in the local newspaper about the Mercedes A(Smart)-car...the little two-door car.
Mercedes has pulled all warranty repair for the A-car out of Minnesota...if you own one in MN...the car has to be repaired in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  Hundreds of miles and hours away.  Mercedes will haul your car from MN to Milwaukee...but after it is repaired the owner has to go to Milwaukee and drive the vehicle back to MN without compensation (since the car is now working correctly).
This is why it is important to check on warranty work for any expensive item you are looking to purchase (what's covered and who is willing to do the warranty repairs)!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 9:42am
Originally posted by FISHTAIL

furpod, that's not normal.  I routinely have my cars warrenty work done at dealerships other than the one I purchased from.  In fact, I'd have to do some reading, but I think they are required to perform the work whether they want to or not.  

I'd say your experience was some kind of odd isolated incident, because with cars, that's generally not the case.  I'm not even sure what they did to you is legal actually, but you'd have to do some research to determine that.  At the very least, I'd think they could get in trouble with the manufacturer for not honoring your warranty.

While it may be illegal, I know from experience it has always been a problem around Army posts. Not just with VW either.

We don't normally own "new" cars, but this was bought because my wife was running back and forth to Chicago a lot for work, and we figured rather than drive a 175k mile Explorer.. (which NEVER left us stranded) we would get a brand new car.. the rest as they say, is history.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 10:25am
It seems to me that one of the best ways to "educate" a dealer that will not honor a warranty from a rpod bought at another dealer is to expose them on this website.  Let them know that you will be informing other potential buyers that they will not honor the rpod warranty unless you buy from them.  I don't believe many dealers will welcome that kind of exposure.  Your certainly within your rights to post their names if that is their stated policy.  Might want to first chat with the dealer owner to verify that policy before posting.  We're all consumers and need to inform ourselves on all policies of dealers that is not in our best interest.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 10:27am
If the dealer was getting paid a fair hourly rate to do the warranty repairs you would think he or she would welcome you. If it was out of warranty and you were a cash paying customer would they turn the work down? Stinkin Thinking if you ask me !
sjf
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 10:37am
I agree with you.  However, since most dealers are aware of what other dealers are charging to purchase an rpod they are trying to make a case for buying from them.  No purchase from them, no service.  In these trying economic times, most buyers should do their homework before making a major purchase.  Exposing shoddy warranty practices will make dealers think twice about restricting their warranty work to just customers who bought from their dealership.  My local dealer, upon questioning the salesman assured me that they would honor the warranty even if I didn't purchase from them.  Will want a little stronger assurance before I order mine from whomever I purchase mine from.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 4:14pm
I think the dealer should look at service and sales as two seperate items. If the selling dealer isnt competetive and you go elsewhere to purchase and the customer returns and you wow them with your great service I would think next time you are going to make a purchase you might try even harder to purchase from your servicing dealer. To me great service is King!!
sjf
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by furpod

While it may be illegal, I know from experience it has always been a problem around Army posts. Not just with VW either.

We don't normally own "new" cars, but this was bought because my wife was running back and forth to Chicago a lot for work, and we figured rather than drive a 175k mile Explorer.. (which NEVER left us stranded) we would get a brand new car.. the rest as they say, is history.

Well, it's an easy problem to solve.  Call VW.  I'm sure they have a customer service division, and tell them the local dealership is refusing to honor your warranty.  They'll come around in a big hurry.  I have to say, not only did I work in the auto repair industry through college (I was both a service writer and a mechanic), I'm pretty much neck deep in the auto enthusiast scene. 

While I hear about people getting warrenties denied due to modifications pretty frequently, I can't remember reading about anyone running into a dealership that refused to perform warranty repairs other than your post.

If I were you, I'd be going way out of my way to cause some serious trouble for that dealership.  VW has a massive online community, report it to them.  Call VW and complain.  Don't believe it won't make a difference...it does.  I had an issue with my local dealership when we bought two new cars from them earlier this year, I reported it to ford, and I know they heard about it because I got phone calls and letters from the dealership afterwards.  If your problems are legit, VW will get your back.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by FISHTAIL

Originally posted by furpod

Well, it's an easy problem to solve.  Call VW.  I'm sure they have a customer service division, and tell them the local dealership is refusing to honor your warranty.  They'll come around in a big hurry.  I have to say, not only did I work in the auto repair industry through college (I was both a service writer and a mechanic), I'm pretty much neck deep in the auto enthusiast scene. 

While I hear about people getting warrenties denied due to modifications pretty frequently, I can't remember reading about anyone running into a dealership that refused to perform warranty repairs other than your post.

If I were you, I'd be going way out of my way to cause some serious trouble for that dealership.  VW has a massive online community, report it to them.  Call VW and complain.  Don't believe it won't make a difference...it does.  I had an issue with my local dealership when we bought two new cars from them earlier this year, I reported it to ford, and I know they heard about it because I got phone calls and letters from the dealership afterwards.  If your problems are legit, VW will get your back.

While that all sounds good, and it would seem that is how it would work, it wasn't and it didn't. I was active on several forums, both local and national. Most everybody had the same thoughts, but in the end, VW told me since the warranty work WAS done by "a local dealership", all was good in their opinion.

And as I said, after the whole fiasco, I SOLD the GTI 3 years ago. We liked it, good car when running, and fun  to drive. But in 26k miles, it had to be flat bedded to VW 4 times. Even had we had perfect service every time, (and we did from Orland Park VW in Chicago, but a 6 hour drive is to far to go for a good relationship with a car dealer) Regardless, I still would have gotten rid of it after the 4th ride to the dealership.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12