Topic ClosedGuarantee RV in Calgary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guarantee RV in Calgary
    Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 1:11am
This is a long overdue tribute to a really great dealer: Guarantee RV in Calgary. After we took delivery of the 171 there were a number of things to be fixed, they fixed them all without argument or attitude. Before we left on our X-Canada tour in August of 2010 they tried to fix a  brake problem and the brakes were OK in regular driving but when we got into heavy city traffic in Toronto and the drums heated up a bit the unit became almost untowable.

Long story short: got an appointment with Campkins RV in Whitby, they checked things out and informed me that both drums were defective and needed to be replaced. They had none in stock and I was not willing to wait 10 days to get new ones from Forest River so I authorized them to turn them down as far as they needed to. While there Campkins fixed the fridge as well. ( It had stopped working on 12 volts.) Campkins did the whole thing under warranty, not a penny changed hands, another A1 dealer.

A few month later after we had been home from our East Coast trip for a while an invoice arrived from Campkins for the full amount of the service call (I don't have the exact amount handy but about $480.00) because Forest River had denied the warranty claim. I paid Campkins, after all they had done the work and were owed that money.

I submitted that invoice to the selling dealer, Guarantee RV in Calgary and they in turn submitted it to Forest River and again the claim was denied. The reason seems to be that there is no warranty on turned drums, that the drums were turned in the first place to rectify a defect  seems to have escaped every one.

After that Guarantee RV handed me a cheque for the full amount that I had paid to Campkins RV. It was unexpected but very much appreciated.

After our return from our trip (before all this happened) we had traded the 171 for a 2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M. Even so that Prime Time RV is part of the Forest River family their attitude towards warranty service is totally different, they bend over backwards to keep the customer happy. If something is wrong and you rather fix it yourself, they'll send you the parts. I had complained that the fresh water tank capacity was only 19 gallon when the brochure said that it should be 38 gallon. Guess what, they send me a 40 gallon tank and told me were it could be installed. Can't beat that.

Take care,

Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 8:59am
Thanks for the review(s).  Feel free to post a review of your new camper, too.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 1:23am
Originally posted by techntrek

Thanks Doug and I might do that. Hopefully I won't get stoned here on the "Pod forum" SmileBig smile

Take care,
Heinrich and Elly
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 5:21am
Originally posted by photog

Thanks Doug and I might do that. Hopefully I won't get stoned here on the "Pod forum" SmileBig smile

Take care,

It won't happen here (being stoned).  The preferred methods of torture with this group are flogging and/or being doused in boiling vitriol. LOL

If you look below, you'll notice that I don't even own a FR product now.  They haven't thrown me off here, yet.  I believe you'll find 99.99% are just fine and very accepting.  They are crazy about their Pods, but like to see other campers too.  I think we all enjoy the fellowship of others campers and your great pictures!
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 9:27am
As far as getting "stoned" (ANOTHER English word with multiple meanings!) on the forum, most of us aren't violent Tongue  (tongue in cheek) .  And I really appreciated your thorough review.  Hope you get much enjoyment out of your new camper, the Tracer.  It's a shame there were so many issues with the 171.
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by photog

Take care,

In the meantime it is October and where has the summer gone? I had sort of promised to do a review on our new unit but that has become redundened, it has been discontinued after only one model year.

I will say though that we are extremely pleased with it, like all new units it had a few minor issues but they were addressed without hassle. Prime Time deals with warrenty issues totally different from Forest River, even so they are under the FR umbrella.

We made no long trips this season but stayed in Alberta, it's not like there is nothing to see or do here. LOL

If anyone is interested this years pictures are here: http://www.pbase.com/hlohmann/alberta2011
but be warned, there are many. Smile
Heinrich and Elly
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 5:57pm
Thanks for the post & pictures, Photog!  I glad you are getting and enjoying your Prime Time and that it is working out well for you.  I hope to have the opportunity to visit some of the places in your pictures, someday.  They look fantastic.  Many more happy adventures!
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by David

Thanks for the post & pictures, Photog!  I glad you are getting and enjoying your Prime Time and that it is working out well for you.  I hope to have the opportunity to visit some of the places in your pictures, someday.  They look fantastic.  Many more happy adventures!

You are welcome David, glad that you enjoyed them. It's not that far away from you, all you need is lots of time. (and CG reservations Smile ) Our unit is parked for the winter until the end of May, it's going to be a lonnnng winter.

Take care,
Heinrich and Elly
rid415 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 7:28pm
re Guarantee RV in Calgary they are nice 
  they are nice folk there just got my 177hre there and a few things were missing  i told them and the next day they were in my hands i live in edmonton ab
Bred Flink View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:31am
Unfortunately Guarantee RV no longer sells PRods. We tire kicked there months before buying. When buying time arrived, at the 2014 RV show in Calgary, we discovered that Rangeland RV an established Forest River dealer had taken over the RPod line.
Our buying experience was negative. We felt deceived and had to get assistance from the Alberta RV Dealer Association in order to obtain the items listed on our agreement. We live in Calgary, and if we were to buy another RPod, we'd drive to another city. If you want details I can give you names, dates and verifiable facts. Love the RPod, bitterly disappointed in the dealer.
Sailing and camping Western Canada and US-NW
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>