Topic ClosedNeed advice from RPodders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice from RPodders
    Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 6:39pm
nascar, as always we welcome all comments positive or negative.  If you posted that on the other forum it would have been deleted, but not here.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
FISHTAIL View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 9:43pm
Given some time I could probably tell you more about how a Rav4 tows.  My parents have a 2006 Rav4 V6 with a tow package, and are considering an R-Pod 177 to go camping with us.  I personally tow with a 2011 Ford Explorer, and it does fine.  My gas mileage seems to hover around 11-12 driving along at 60-65mph. 

The build quality of mine seems fine so far.  I haven't found any issues yet, which isn't to say I won't come across something later.  I did have some cleanup to do when I got it (sawdust and knockouts) but that's about it.  I just took mine out for it's first shakedown night Friday, and the only problems I had were things I forgot (butter, the dogs bed, etc).

tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 10:42am
Overall we love ¡Podtástic! even though we're discovering some minor issues that are being covered by warranty.  The weather stripping started coming off as we were driving a few weeks ago, so we stopped at a gas station to cut it off with a knife.  The other problem that developed the same weekend was that we were laying in bed when we heard a boom from the water tank.  Nothing seemed to come from it until yesterday when I noticed that my clothes from the day before I had left by the bed on the floor were saturated with water.  We then noticed the leak.

While the weather stripping needed to be caulked better, the water heater seemed to be more a fluke than anything.  For the price we paid for it, we are happy, and we talk up the Pod whenever people come by to look at it.  

Whatever you buy make sure that it's the right fit for you.  Stay inside the camper without the pressures of the salesperson and ask yourself realistically if it is something that I can stay inside if the weather was nasty outside without feeling claustrophobic as well as it is something that I can sleep in comfortably.  Also, you want to get in the bathroom and wrap that shower curtain around you and see if it is something that you can shower or do your business in.  At the end, it has to be something that fits for you and whoever else will be in the trailer with you.  

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 10:55am
Dropped ours off today for some warranty work.  Even with that I still find it a very amazing quality product and love it.

I have nothing but good things to say though, it tows well, suits all of our needs and then some.  And most of all it has amazing character.

I'd buy another one this very second if I had it to do all over again.
JD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 11:16am
Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions about the Rpod. Based on your feedback and other research I've done my conclusion is that we cannot tow an RP saftely and efficiently with our RAV4. 10 to 12 miles per gallon and a questionable wheelbase make the decion obvious, not easy as we do like the RPs.
Thanks so much for your candid input.
 Have a good summer camping.
JD
JD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 2:02pm
Sorry to hear, if you have further questions let us know.  BTW, I just looked at the wheelbase for the RAV4 and more recent models may not be an issue at approximately 105 inches.  Older models were far shorter.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 7:28pm
You're making the right choice.  I know what it feels like with my Tacoma pulling my RP-151.  I'd not want to try your potential configuration.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 8:33pm
I am quite satisfied with the quality of our 2011 177, and pull it with a 2010 F-150.  I get about 15 MPG with the pod behind, and about 16.5 without it.  So far have had no sway problems.  No doubt the F-150 is a larger truck than a Rav 4.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12