Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaybe a new owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maybe a new owner
    Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 7:46am
It's hard to find something tall enough for him .. If only we could buy a fithwheel Wink lol

He can stand in the rpod but not try the toilet space.  It's not an important part for him  .. it's much for me . Me, going to the public toilets every 15 minutes  and in the night .. it bugs me ..

So much things to think  .. the weight we can pull .. the price we can pay .. the space we can fit .. Wacko

so .. continue to give us advices ... it's precious to know before
profmagickb View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 8:14am
Good luck with your choice. 

Have you looked at any T models? with the T models bed length is no issue at all, but then you have a tent to set up, take down, and possibly dry out.  None of these things bother me though, but something to keep in mind. You can still use the camper without the tent set up too. And you have a nice Tent with big windows off the back, this to me is awesome. especially when I'm backed up to a beautiful view.

The pod has a tall ceiling compared to others in its class, my brother is 6'5" and really likes my camper for the head space. He has used my toilet, so it can be done. My bathroom is mainly used by the girls anyway. 

I embrace the teardrop shape of the pod and with that comes some sacrifice, but I smile everytime I see her.
I can't even begin to describe it.... you would just have to see for yourself....
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 10:05am
I agree with the above about the T model.  that would solve your bed issues, although not the cramped shower.  However, if you will only be using the shower for emergencies, then being cramped once in a while is probably not a big deal.  Besides, you could sit on the toilet lid and wash off, you don't have to be standing up.

Another camper to look at is the Trailmanor..they have a hard sided camper line (the elkridge?) that are lightweight, and feature walk around queen beds.  The downside is that they are considerably more expensive than a pod.  
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 10:14am
I also would agree with looking at the T models.  I'm 6'2", and I've learned how to sleep on the table/bed.  It's not for people who can't learn how to sleep slightly contorted.  However, with the T model, your husband should be able to sleep fine.

I've learned how to deal with the bathroom as well as taking a shower.  The plus with the shower is that your hair will be dried by the time you get done with the exhaust fan right above you.  LOL

The best piece of advice is what people have already given you--go into the R-Pod without the salesperson there and try everything out and see how it will work out for the two of you.  Sleep on the bed or make the table into a bed.  If it's a T model, pop out the back and lay on it to see how if that will work better.  Get in that bathroom, shut the door, and wrap that shower curtain around and see if you feel claustrophobic or not.  I would hate to find that you have buyer's remorse after the fact.

Good luck!

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Bigbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 11:39am
Originally posted by FISHTAIL

Another camper to look at is the Trailmanor..they have a hard sided camper line (the elkridge?) that are lightweight, and feature walk around queen beds.  The downside is that they are considerably more expensive than a pod.

I have a 2010 Trailmanor Elkmont and I love it - it's what I traded my R-Pod 175 for. But you're right, it is expensive. Also, if you do go that route, stay away from the 2009 models. That was the first year of Elkmont production, and there were many reports of problems, including roof leaks, bent tongues, and beds detaching from walls. My 2010 has (so far, knock wood) given us very few, very minor problems.
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Bigbit

Originally posted by FISHTAIL

I have a 2010 Trailmanor Elkmont and I love it - it's what I traded my R-Pod 175 for. But you're right, it is expensive. Also, if you do go that route, stay away from the 2009 models. That was the first year of Elkmont production, and there were many reports of problems, including roof leaks, bent tongues, and beds detaching from walls. My 2010 has (so far, knock wood) given us very few, very minor problems.

That's good to know.  My parent's are in the market, and they really wanted a walk around queen, but are limited by tow weight.  I just found the Trailmanor Elkmont line the other night while poking around online, and sent them the info on it.  I'd have been upset I didn't see them earlier if not for the cost...since the rpod is our first camper, keeping cost down (in case the wife decides she hates it) was a priority.  However, we might upgrade in the future if the family really starts to enjoy camping.  Personally, I LOVE camping, so the untested waters are those bound to me...lol.

OP, the elkmont's are lighter than the Visa's, albeit more expensive.  I'd narrow your search to 3 if you are in a hurry.  T model Rpods, Visa, and the Elkmont.  You should be able to decide between the 3 pretty quickly.
Bigbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 5:19pm
Here are a couple of handy links for those interested in the Trailmanor line:

Company website: http://www.trailmanor.com/

Trailmanor users forum: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/index.php

Both sites have sections on the Elkmont uprights.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 8:17pm
It is a good thing to ask a lot of questions beforehand.  The more you know, the better.  All of the above are good suggestions and there are very many campers from which to choose.  This is what I bought, after owning my R-Pod:

It is a 2010 Coleman CT187QB.  It is a few inches longer than the Pod and at 7' (84") a bit wider.  It weighed 3018lbs from the factory.  I have had it since March of 2010 and am pleased with it thus far.

Here is the floor plan:

While it does have a "regular" queen bed (60" X 80"), it can't be walked around.  However, you both should find it long enough.  The dinette can be made into a bed that might work for one large child or 2 small children.  It's about 30" wide, but I'm not sure how long.

I think they may have only made this particular model in 2010, with the 2011's all being 8' wide with slide outs.

Do plenty of shopping around.  I'm sure you'll find something just right for you.
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 9:00pm
Just to add to the confusion.  If you do buy a trailer with a small bathroom, this is a mod that we did to ours to allow slightly more room for showering.  I have used this for the last weekend that we camped and it made a little difference in the cramped shower feeling.  We are not as tall as you guys (5'2" and 5'10") so height hasn't been a problem.

Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 10:31pm
  Wow, Brin, I really like that idea.  Less thumping of elbows and knees with one less hard wall.  How is it attached so it can be removed?  
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>