This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGround Clearance??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ground Clearance??
    Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 6:34pm
We are the proud owners of a new 177. So far I love everything about the trailer, with the exception of the ground clearance. On my first attempt at towing, with my Mazda CX9, I was unable to even pull into my alley without scraping the tongue jack. And my alley has very little elevation change! The types of places we will want to camp here in Montana will be impossible given these conditions. I have read about the axel risers on this forum and I do think that is my answer but I still wonder why in the world they built the Rpod so low??
Farmers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 6:47pm
No idea why it was built so low. First thing I did was order axel risers directly from Forest River. I ordered the 4" risers, but I think they are closer to 3". It helps. I too have a 177.
"The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark."
— John Muir
RP-177, towed by Dodge 2500 2wd
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 6:49pm
Welcome to the forum! We have a 177 also and love it. As to why the pods are built so low to the deck, I don't know. We have not put risers on ours as we plan never to go off road and camp only on paved pads. I have towed it on city streets with speed humps and they are not a problem if taken slow. Lots of podders have risers on theirs and I am sure they will help you with that aspect. A search will turn up tons of info .
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 7:24pm
Hi and welcome. We have a 177 too and are very cautious going over any kind of bumps. I actually like the fact that the step is low as it is easier for me to get in and out.
We have never had paved pads to camp on but find the pod manages normal provincial park and national park campsites just fine.  I think I would try it for a bit without the axle risers.

Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
harleyguy1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 7:50pm
Hello All, I also have a 177 and after my first outing I came back and added the axle risers.  Some parks have tall speed bumps and also some driveways to stores along the way have steep dips going in and out.
I was very uncomfortable with how low the plumbing was to these hazards I mentioned above. Additionally, emptying your tanks will be easier with the additional height in some situations!.
I feel much more comfortable with the additional height at a small price.
Marshal
2011 R-177
Longview, Tx
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 9:58pm
Welcome.  I went 1 1/2 camping seasons w/o the risers and I'm very glad to have them now.  I've found the steps are easier with the risers because it makes each step the same height (the first step up was lower before).  Its easier to dump the tanks as harleyguy said, and I can now move it around my driveway and yard w/o scraping the steps like I used to.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 7:02am
I'm sure if you talked to a design person about the aesthetics of the lovely R-Pod there would be a rational explanation for the lower deckbheight. It would probably involve the appearance bas on the width to height ratio, the weight to track width, the wheel and tire size (why put 17"wheels on a 2000 lb trailer?),not to mention the lovely curvature of the exterior and all the stuff set on the roof.
I agree with everyone here. Those risers make a great difference in drivability and, to my eye, into appearance as it sits on the ground, as well as using the entry stairs.
Enjoy your new Pod!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Riverdog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 10:43am
Thanks for the great replys! I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my thinking. We are taking her out to a national forest campsite tonight and we'll see how it goes. I am going to order the risers, though.
Another question: Do most folks have a wheel for their tongue jack? I'm thinking my hulking teenage boys and I could manhandle it if it did.
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 11:04am
I have a swing down wheel jack mounted on the side of the tongue. I got it at harbor freight for $20. Easy to mount and with a little effort you can push it around. Although I don't much because of the sloped drivewayOuch.

On the topic of risers, I look forward to getting a pair and installing them. The biggest issue is, as stated above, the sloped driveway. If I don't pull in and out slowly and carefully and at just the right angle I grind the stabilizers on the driveway.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 11:12am
I have a long gravel driveway with humps and bumps (read not the kind you back into). I splurged and got a two wheel dolly. It's a little bigger than a wheeled jack, but has 10" balloon tires and is easy to maneuver. My wife and I can move the pod around easily on the gravel.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>