R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLippert Axle Grease?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lippert Axle Grease?
    Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 12:00pm
Question:
Why is it necessary to "recommend[s] an annual bearing removal/cleaning/repacking of the axle bearings" for a trailer that in essence travels probably less than 5000 miles every year on dry, not salty or sandy roads, with a single axle that allows differential individual movement of the wheels and bearings (that is, there is no side to side or angular torque on the bearings when going around a corner) and that weighs less than the tow vehicle that tows it?
The same recommendation is on my 10 year old 5x8 foot utility trailer and was on a 14 foot boat trailer I had. Both never have had new or repacked bearings.
Besides the trailers, I have owned more than 15 vehicles in my life, many with life spans of over 100,000 miles and I think I replaced one wheel bearing and never repacked any of them.
Is this recommendation a question of manufacturing quality differences between cars,trucks and trailer components or is it like changing engine oil every 3000 miles, self protection and collusion?
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 12:23pm
Trailer bearings are not the sealed bearings you find in automobiles - they're much simpler and much less expensive and this means that they require some maintenance.  The issue with trailer bearings isn't so much the distance travelled, but instead its the great lengths of time that the trailer sits idle.  The grease migrates down with gravity, leaving the top of the bearing dry.  Regular inspection is necessary.

I've also owned about a dozen trailers in my life, and I have experienced bearing failure due to neglect (when I was young and thought that I was invincible).  I've also experienced dry rot from within on tires.  Neither is very much fun - even if you're only 20 miles from home when it happens.

If you choose to ignore the manufacturer's recommendation for bearing maintenance, that's your decision.  For safety's sake, I do hope that you regularly touch your hubs while travelling to determine if there is unusual heat build-up, which would indicate imminent bearing failure.

Personally, I endorse following the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and actively encourage others to do the same.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 12:55pm
Thanks for the explanation, Outbound. I do indeed check the hubs on the trailers at a stop. I will follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the RPod greasing and repacking, and, while I have greasy hands, do my utility trailer at the same time, from now on.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 3:22pm
I wish that someone would invent a sealed trailer bearing, perhaps packed with a bit more liquidy grease that would spread around more quickly and thoroughly after the trailer had been sitting idle for a few months... they wouldn't even have to pay me for the idea, just ship me a couple of the completed product. Wink
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 12:28am

Originally posted by Outbound

I wish that someone would invent a sealed trailer bearing, perhaps packed with a bit more liquidy grease that would spread around more quickly and thoroughly after the trailer had been sitting idle for a few months... they wouldn't even have to pay me for the idea, just ship me a couple of the completed product. Wink

+1!

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 7:14am
    Sealed bearings sounds great ! hopefully in time the trailer industry will catch up with better technology. I would rather spend my time camping or sailing Smile, than having to repack wheel bearings with grease.    
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

gdfaini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 1:39pm
How do you check bearing temp during a trip?  Do you have to remove the cap?
Glenn
Hyundai Santa Fe <-> RP 173

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 10:21pm
Most people just feel the caps when they first get out at a rest stop.
gdfaini View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 10:33pm
I'll have to remember to do that from now on.  I put about 4,000 miles on my pod last year.  Greased the hubs, but didn't clean/repack them.  How difficult is that?  I have the Lippert super hubs.  That sounds like something I'd have the dealer do.
Glenn
Hyundai Santa Fe <-> RP 173

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011 at 11:13am
Its a relatively easy job, less than an hour, but it is obviously very messy on the hands.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>