Topic ClosedHonda EU2000i generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honda EU2000i generator
    Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 4:50pm

Do you need a backup generator for your house?  If you have a freezer full of food it could pay for itself in 1 or 2 long outages.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 5:08pm
That is the other element that I'm considering. I did have to mop up my home office twice this week from storm related outages. When the sump pump doesn't run my office gets wet. My wife's answer is to get a bigger mop. Are there comparable but less expensive options other that the Honda?
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 10:03pm
You can get a cheap but very noisy "contractor grade" generator.  Not something you would ever want to camp with, but the quiet ones get noisy too when they are at full throttle (necessary to run the AC).
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Chuck

I'm questioning the wisdom and practicality of spending that much money on a generator that I'm not sure I'll get much use out of.

Well... my view on generators has evolved over time:

I've got a Hyundai HY2000si, which, like the Honda, is very quiet in operation.  My Hyundai produces a bit more power tho (2200 watts peak, 2000 watts sustained) vs the Honda (2000 watts peak, 1600 watts sustained).  With the generator running the A/C, my Hyundai is only 59 db.

In my driveway, with normal city background noise, 59db is perfectly acceptable - quiet, almost.  However, in the quiet of the wilderness, I find it way too loud for sustained use.  Running the generator for an hour in the afternoon to recharge the battery is one thing; and without the A/C, its only 54db.  But letting the generator run to power the A/C for 4 or 5 hours through dinner and into the evening is another thing altogether.  It really starts to grate on my nerves and I'm sure it annoys the neighbours.

I've gotten to the point where I don't even want to use the generator for A/C, and I'm considering purchasing the smaller, lighter Hyundai HY1000si for battery-recharging only purposes.  For those times when its so hot and humid that A/C is necessary, we'll be heading to a campground equipped with electricity.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12