R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpodmod: Shoe Storage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: podmod: Shoe Storage
    Posted: 26 May 2011 at 5:57pm
Shoes.  When we camp, we tend to bring several pairs of shoes: running shoes, sandals, hiking shoes.  There was always a pile of shoes just inside the door of our 2009 RP-171.

So, I did a quick mod to add shoe storage.  Using a Dremel tool, I cut out a square in the side of the dinette seat closest to the door and finished it with plastic panel trim.  I could only find white panel trim, so I gave it a couple of coats of chocolate brown Krylon Fusion paint before installing it.

I had to relocate the fire extinguisher slightly to better take advantage of the space.  I also added a rectangular rubber car mat (designed for the cargo area of a minivan) to catch any dirt.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 8:38pm
Damn good idea!  We have the same pile of shoes in front of the door every night, too.  My solution was going to be a large Tupperware container that would slide under the 'pod - rainproof and out of the way.  Now I have to decide...
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 4:29am
Good job!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 10:30am
On our first trip out we used the netted cargo area under the refrigerator (in a 177) as a shoe place but yesterday I found a shoe storage bag with lots of pockets which we installed under the switches on the left hand wall by the door. This way we don't have to go in to change shoes. Plus point is I have pockets as well for the insect repellant, sunscreen and rain ponchos conveniently located by the door. Above the switches we hung a rack for hats and jackets.
Now my netted area can be used for a plastic box for food when I find a box just the right size.Smile
I have been finding space for food storage difficult although the refrigerator is proving to be quite big enough for our needs.
Outbound, I like your attention to detail in painting your moulding brown. It turned out really nicely.
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Snowbound

. . . but yesterday I found a shoe storage bag with lots of pockets which we installed under the switches on the left hand wall by the door. This way we don't have to go in to change shoes. Plus point is I have pockets as well for the insect repellant, sunscreen and rain ponchos conveniently located by the door. Above the switches we hung a rack for hats and jackets.

Bette, I did exactly the same as you.  I hung a shoe pocket bag with 3M hooks in that empty wall space under the switches (and beside the door on the 177) and hung a 3-hook coat rack above all the switches.  I preferred to do that instead of taking up my bench storage - although I thought the idea was really great!
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:06am
Yes, my bench storage is pretty full already and I would hate to give any of it up. Only thing I am a little worried about is how clean those shoe pockets are going to stay. Outbound's car mat is more washable.
We originally put up two command hooks for hats high above the switches then I (in a sudden and rare flash of inspiration!) realized I could hang my 6 hook coat rack on the two command hooks.. Tom was still a bit nervous about drilling into the wall at that point although  he has since gotten over itLOL
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

I preferred to do that instead of taking up my bench storage
Originally posted by Snowbound

Yes, my bench storage is pretty full already and I would hate to give any of it up.

Ah... what I failed to mention was that, during travel, our BBQ occupies most of that space; a couple pairs of shoes will squeeze in at the end, but thats about it.  Once we settle into camp, however, there's a lot of available space for tossing in shoes.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 1:25pm
Good double-use of the area.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply