R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreasing the Grooves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greasing the Grooves
    Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 9:06pm
Both of you, very professional-looking jobs.  I like the look of that awning up on the 'pod.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 9:13pm
As I have said several times, mm, I really find your determination, abilities, and good humor to be an inspiration. I am blessed with a spouse that enjoys our life together and always has encouraged and shared in enjoyment of the outdoors, and the efforts it takes to make our adventures possible. I understand your position, though, and empathize.
Basically, I think you rock!!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 7:23am
SmileI know what it is like to have a partner that enjoys the same things. I think I have to qualify this a bit for the sake of the husband. For 17 years we camped in a tent with children(he had camped as a child, I had not) , then had a time period not camping, but traveling the world before the young adults left home and mixing in taking jaunts to many bed and breakfast inns in one of our little 2 seater sports cars(another passion we share). When we got back into camping it was into motorhomes to see the country, still having a half packed suitcase ready if he was going to someplace I wanted to go.
He was/is smart enough to know when to retire the motorcoaches(driving ability). Then we started a period of cruises, wow , that was different. The rub was that I still wanted to camp and went out and suited myself back up in tent, etc. Did that for almost 5 years, enough time for him to SEE that I was serious, so he was the one to suggest something else, which ended up being a Pod.  He does visit when his time allows, but it is just not his thing anymore. Add to that his age(which is some older than I am and that is ancientStar) So the caring part of him wants me in something more solid than a tent even when he is at home and hoping that I can handle something that I have never done before.  I know there are other women out there that are doing the same thing, so I am not so unsual, just only a year old when it comes to pulling anything and doing the hooking up. I DO have a sense of accomplishment and Wonder that my determination  still holds forth, had to do things for children and household many times while he was on the other side of the planet.
One question I get, which suprises me each time, is am I not Afraid to be out there by myself! With normal common sense, I have had to do it as a lot of single women/parent have done. And being around other camping people is a pretty safe place, the family values are in place or the very young couples are building those values. 

Now, I feel better that I don't let the husband take "heat" .  I am kind of ornary about working out a problem when I run into it and I was pretty determined to have that awning work and workable by myself. I was raised by an engineer, married an engineer(when he was not in some cockpit or the other) and raised 2 engineers. I, myself, did not finish college, I am the "arty" one in the family, but running into a snag like this gives me great pleasure to figure out without that engineering degreeTongueJust kind of still use the KISS principle for myself.

I like the design with the strengthing pole, have not yet used my awning, in fact today is first day this year I have had TIME to take the Pod out to camp.

This is a great site for ideas and since it is a POD site everything kind of helps someone sometime.

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 7:32am
PS. Our frig in the house just breathed its last breath this morning. Since the freezer is on a different system, it is still doing. So, while I go out camping, the husband will have the repairman in tomorrow and be dealing with the decision of getting a new one, which takes 2 weeks to get in AND is a built in, limited space requirments and hard to find. Lucky we have an old frig in the basement plus a small chest freezer.
If he was not at home, if I did not know how to do the Pod, I would have to cancel my first trip out this year. Dang hard to even get away, it seems!
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 4:03pm
Don't let that dead frig put a cooler on your camping!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:19am
"Dead" frig not quite dead, limping along waiting for parts, hopefully soon.
Well, after "greasing the grooves" , redoing the awning with cord, etc. ......campground did not have ground where tent stakes could be drivenStar. All the other worked Before that however.  I was the only one, except for tents in another part of camp, that had the need of stakes. When I go back I have picked a spot that has more shade trees and not as much need. Was too HOT to sit out much anyway, but would have been nice to see what it all looked like complete with lights.
Will be camping in another area that Has ground, so will use.
Have any of you that have Domes had the problem of not being able to use because "tents" were not allowed? I have the screen house, no bottom, so I was able to use it, but on the concrete pad that had the picnic table, which was plenty large and table moveable. Early morning and late evening was only time to use this however, at least for me, since I felt I was sitting in a large, wet, cottonballLOL
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:28am
Mountain Mist,

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry!  All that work getting the awning ready. . . oh my . . . and a wet cottonball!

Speaking of the fridge -- I know you were talking about your fridge at home -- but I'm not really pleased with the one in the RPod.  I have mine on the highest setting but it doesn't get as cold as any fridge I've had before.  I put in a fridge thermometer and the temp is barely in the acceptable zone.  So I put in a battery operated recirculating fridge fan from Camping World but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  Does anyone out there have a suggestion for improving the cooling performance of the fridge?

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:07am
We haven't camped in 20 years so we noticed some new ideas when we spent our week camping this summer. The big boys, 5th wheels and rv's that are as long as a city block, carried small refrigerators that they kept under there awnings outside. Most had beer or soft drinks in them, it did keep them from hunting for ice every couple of days. But it kind of offended my sense of ultra light camping. Am I totally out of touch and you are all going to tell me that you all carry dorm sized refrigerators ?
Oh yes and the rope lights on the groud, what is that all about? Clark
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:27am
Well, so far I haven't broke down and put a fridge outside.  If I did it would be ANOTHER thing to haul around and I want to camp lighter than I did when I had a 5th wheel. 

As for the lights -- I know a lot of others use them, but I don't feel like I need them on the pod.  I used those kind of lights when I tent-camped for years, and then when I camped in my pop-up I put them on the awning.  I will be using my R-dome for the first time this camping trip -- I wonder if I will change my mind. 

I haven't noticed anyone using rope lights on the ground, but I can see that it would be a good idea at night.  It would keep you from tripping over things don't you think?

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Tri-Pod

We haven't camped in 20 years so we noticed some new ideas when we spent our week camping this summer. The big boys, 5th wheels and rv's that are as long as a city block, carried small refrigerators that they kept under there awnings outside. Most had beer or soft drinks in them, it did keep them from hunting for ice every couple of days. But it kind of offended my sense of ultra light camping. Am I totally out of touch and you are all going to tell me that you all carry dorm sized refrigerators ?
Oh yes and the rope lights on the groud, what is that all about? Clark

We used to carry a dorm size fridge when we tent camped!  LOL

But just over the 4th of July weekend I was looking at all the Popups around the campground and many of those had dorm fridges outside instead of coolers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>