R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreasing the Grooves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greasing the Grooves
    Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:09pm
The mod I'm thinking of is probably a little more involved than either of you would like.  You might want to think of something like this:
I should offer this caveat - I have not used this product and can't offer personal experience with it.

I like the option one of the product reviewers wrote about - being able to run it off of 12 volts. 

The fridge vent is, well, vented to the outside.  Plus it (the fridge) is generating it's own heat.  Combine these two and, when hot/humid, it is going to operate less efficiently.  For what it is worth, I found much the same with mine and typically ran it at the highest setting.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:23pm
Thanks David.  I might just consider that little doo-hickey.  Both the reviews attested that it worked.  I just have to figure out if I want it bad enough to spend nearly $90. 

I've had my RPod fridge cooling all day and I am making sure all items have been chilled in my household fridge before I put them into the Pod fridge when I leave tomorrow.  I plan on traveling with the 12 volt option on.  I would prefer to use the propane, but I'm too afraid of what would happen in a collision if the propane was lit.  And I know in some states it is illegal to travel with the propane lit.  Don't know if that applies to Georgia and North Carolina though.

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:59pm

Keep in mind that the 'pod fridge already has 2 12 volt fans, thermostatically controlled, in the rear compartment.  I had to add a 12 volt fan to my popup, I was happy to see - and hear - those fans already in place when I bought it.  While my popup fridge barely stayed cold enough (we always carried a compressor-style dorm fridge for sensitive foods like dairy and meats), the one in the 'pod stays very cold even when its in the 90's outside.  You may need to get the "stack" cleaned out.

We always had "tacky lights" with our popup, but only put them up a few times with the 'pod.  This trip we tried something new we both like a lot.  Its called "electro luminescent wire", usually called "EL wire" online.  Very cool stuff, easy to put up and has a neat glow to it.  This will give you an idea of what it is, but we didn't buy from this place (we got ours on closeout from IKEA a while ago).

http://www.elbestbuy.com/

Hodge - don't worry about using the propane, it isn't illegal in any state, just in some tunnels where it is clearly marked.  Most big rigs only have 2 way fridges with no 12 volt option and can only use propane on the road.  The tanks have several safety features which prevent accidents - I've seen videos of them on Mythbusters where even sitting in a fire the worst they do is vent.  No explosion.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 3:41am
I bought a little fridge fan that curcleates the are inside the fridge. Went from slitly cool to cold. Well worn the $15.
Ready to pod around!
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:21am
ClapWhat is and how small is the fridge fan? Very little room in there, but I run on coldest setting all the time and start the fridge 2 days before I drive out and insert already cold and frozen stuff when I fill it.
I am going to check in on what some of the suggestions are, but so far I am not displeased with the results of doing the above. And I never drive with the propane on, state law or not, just gives me the creeps to think of possibles.

As I stated, I saw the little lights, used on the ground and looking like runway lights! Sudtle. I am not shy of having the twinky ones, kind of like the festive. Just have to have something to string them on. Getting thereLOL I figured by the end of this season I will have it the way I want finally, then on to some new thing that will take a while to put into effect.  Like most things, using and practice makes one more efficent and I wonder if we ever set back and say DONE, I am content. Too hot to get in an uproar, I need to quite tinkering ......
Putting snap beans into the freezer and corn off the cob for creamed corn this Winter. Hit the ground running, time a' wasting to get tomatoes canned too. Have a month before I go out again, so should get it all down and still be standing.Star
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 7:29am
Originally posted by techntrek

Hodge - don't worry about using the propane, it isn't illegal in any state, just in some tunnels where it is clearly marked.  Most big rigs only have 2 way fridges with no 12 volt option and can only use propane on the road.  The tanks have several safety features which prevent accidents - I've seen videos of them on Mythbusters where even sitting in a fire the worst they do is vent.  No explosion.

Tech, thanks for the safety info regarding propane (I just LOVE Mythbusters - but missed that particular show), and as I'm not going through any tunnels as I travel today, I am going to use the propane after all.  It just seems more efficient to me than the 12 volt, and I won't have to worry about draining the battery when I stop.

Pawpod, I used one of those little fans my last trip out.   It does help keep the temperature at a more acceptable level.  My fridge fan has no on/off switch though, so I had to remove the battery to turn it off when not camping.

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Pawpod

I bought a little fridge fan that curcleates the are inside the fridge. Went from slitly cool to cold. Well worn the $15.

We also run a small fan in our fridge.  It changes the temperature quite a bit.  For example without the fan you can leave a soda in the fridge overnight, opened because we take drinks if we wake up during the night.

That same soda with the fan inside running turns it into complete slush by morning.

Our is a small 5 inch battery fan.  Runs on high off two D batteries for almost 3 days.  I soon decided to buy the AC adapter for it though and just shut the fridge on the cord carefully and plug it in near the bed.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:58am

Keep in mind that the 'pod fridge already has 2 12 volt fans, thermostatically controlled, in the rear compartment.  I had to add a 12 volt fan to my popup, I was happy to see - and hear - those fans already in place when I bought it.  

About these fans. Our Pod has them as well and at first I thought they ran all the time and was concerned.  At the recent ERU I asked one of the engineers and Susan from Forest River about it and yes as you say, they told me they are thermostatically controlled to kick on when needed.

I've just never heard them I guess, and since I've never seen them spin at random times that I've taken the fridge side panels off I wonder if they are in fact working.

When do you notice yours kicking on?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:17am
When its hot out I'll hear them on, you can't miss them, they sound like a plane taking off.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
FISHTAIL View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:28am

<snip>

We always had "tacky lights" with our popup, but only put them up a few times with the 'pod.  This trip we tried something new we both like a lot.  Its called "electro luminescent wire", usually called "EL wire" online.  Very cool stuff, easy to put up and has a neat glow to it.  This will give you an idea of what it is, but we didn't buy from this place (we got ours on closeout from IKEA a while ago).

http://www.elbestbuy.com/

<snip>

Those are cool.  Any pictures of them in use?  How long do you find the batteries last typically?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>