R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is your favorite - Event Date: 24 Apr 2011 - 24 May 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: What is your favorite type of camping and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.94%]
7 [20.59%]
11 [32.35%]
15 [44.12%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: What is your favorite
    Posted: 01 May 2011 at 7:00am
Thanks, Leaflin!  You even included a "bear sighting" Smile.  The campsite pictured looks just fine with me.  You'd be hard pressed to do that good at Loft Mountain, IMHO. 

Loft Mountain is OK.  There is a camp store, pay showers and laundry on site.  Also, there is a small restaurant/fuel station right at the entrance, on Skyline Drive.  I had intended to visit Shenandoah last fall after leaving the Smokys.  However, this would have kept me in a strong storm front so, I decided to just stay put at the Smokys.

Back in 2007, I camped at the Smokys and then drove the entire Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.  I would recommend this trip heartily to all...it's a beautiful drive.  Give yourself at least 3 days to take it in and fuel up when you can; opportunities are not abundant.  The speed limit is 35mph...LOL...maybe you could do that in a Ferrari!  However, you won't want to.  This is one of those times where the trip is probably as much fun as the destination.
Farmers View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:00pm
Ok, I'll be the 1st no hook-ups undeveloped fool LOL. Technically I still haven't camped in a camper, never mind an R-POD. But that is soon to change and I'm looking forward to it. We will eventually be camping at camp grounds, but putting our pod on our property in Vt. would be considered primative I think. though we will have running water, so maybe that's not really primative Smile. I think each level from primative to commercial has their own merits. I look forward to trying them all!
"The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark."
— John Muir
RP-177, towed by Dodge 2500 2wd
Leaflin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Brin

We will be there from 5/31 until 6/5 (leaving in am) at site F198.

Hey Brin, I just booked site E189 from 5/31 until 6/3. I'm not 100 percent sure we will make it but it is looking good.
I also reserved a place for my husband and I on the Rapidan Camp tour for Wednesday 6/1 at 1:30.  I have always wanted to see the camp but haven't been up to hiking, so this is perfect for us.

"Travel by bus 30 minutes to President Hoover's summer retreat. Visit the refurnished Presidents cabin. 3 hours. 12 person limit. Reserve by phone (540-999-3500, ext 3283) or in person at Byrd Visitor Center. Meet at Byrd Visitor Center."

Hope to see you there!
Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
http://www.leaflin.net
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 11:46pm
That is great.  We will be there from 5/31 until 6/5.  We won't arrive until late on Tuesday night as I work until  7pm.  We should try to get together for a dinner or something while we are there.  I like the Hoover camp hike down to the river and I am sure you will enjoy the tour.  As we will have a dog with us, we won't be able to take the bus down.  If you get a chance to walk upstream a little from the camp, the river has some nice pools to cool off in.   Have you ever had a chance to have dinner in the bar in the basement of the lodge?   They have had some interesting local entertainment in the past. 

Wow, I guess it is time for me to start planning what hikes we are going on.   We will be at F198.  I suspect that somehow we will be able to pick each other's campsite out. LOL
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 1:29pm

If you didn't exchange site numbers it would be Murphy's law that there would 3 other 'pods in each of those loops.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 1:57pm
Big smile
Originally posted by techntrek

If you didn't exchange site numbers it would be Murphy's law that there would 3 other 'pods in each of those loops.

Yeah, and then we could call it a roundup.   Big smile
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123