R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBike rack for R-Pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike rack for R-Pod
    Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 5:14pm
I am looking into getting a bike rack for my r-pod.  I know the spare tire hitch is only rated for 150 pounds, but I was thinking that should be plenty to hold a bike rack and two bikes.  Has anyone purchased a bike rack for your r-pod?  I was looking at getting the swagman XP 3.

Thanks!
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 8:28pm
ive got a thule 2 bike rack on my pod,although just haul one bike,works great weight is a non issue even with two.thules are a little spendy but i have thule racks on my truck to haul a canoe and you can key every thule product the same
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 8:38pm
I have a swagman that I use. I have not had any problems. You need to make sure it is rated for a travel trailer. Some bike racks are not. I got mine at Camping World.
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 9:50pm
You need to be careful with the receiver in the back of the 'pod.  Some of them were installed poorly, with someone reporting cracks - in the welds I believe.  They had it reinforced.  Others here may remember the details better.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 10:22pm
One of the problems with a rear-mounted bike rack is, what do you do with the spare tire?  Something like TopPopRails, which mount over the tongue, above the propane tank, is much more appealing to me.

But, I'm the only one in the family who's even remotely interested in bicycling, so I came up with a slightly different approach to carry a single bike: I modified a roof-rack carrier to fit on our RPOD's tongue.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 1:01am
Forest river does sell a bike rack for the RPod. I emailed them and received this reply

I have attached the product information on the bike rack.  This is the only one that is approved to install on your r.pod and you cannot carry the tire with the rack.  You will need to order directly through Forest River or your selling dealer.

From another person who had the hitch fall off causing sever damage and finding out that the bike rack they used voided their warranty coverage for the damage, I figure I'll get it from them through my dealer. Crossing the border they tacked on about $75 which they say they would bring it in with their next trailer order. Another brand rack would only
save me about $50 or so . The PDF they sent me was the highlander sports wing. I found etrailer sell it but under a different part number RPod bike rack not sure if it's an exsact match or if forest river will cover you buying it from some else.
Ready to pod around!
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Pawpod

Forest river does sell a bike rack for the RPod. I emailed them and received this reply

I have attached the product information on the bike rack.  This is the only one that is approved to install on your r.pod and you cannot carry the tire with the rack.  You will need to order directly through Forest River or your selling dealer.

From another person who had the hitch fall off causing sever damage and finding out that the bike rack they used voided their warranty coverage for the damage, I figure I'll get it from them through my dealer. Crossing the border they tacked on about $75 which they say they would bring it in with their next trailer order. Another brand rack would only
save me about $50 or so . The PDF they sent me was the highlander sports wing. I found etrailer sell it but under a different part number RPod bike rack not sure if it's an exsact match or if forest river will cover you buying it from some else.

thats pretty slick
yalilminx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 10:53am
We received the highlander bike rack and only tried to use it this weekend. How does anybody fit 2 bikes on it being so close to the rear of the pod? Even with different sized bikes we couldn't get it! Pictures anyone?
2015 rpod 176t
ronahue View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 11:20am
I had no problem placing 2 bikes (one women's and one men's) on the Highlander Sportwing however I did have to lower the seat on the men's bike. Sorry no pictures.
Ron & Sharon
2015 R-Pod 179
2022 Nissan Frontier

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a billion electrons were really agitated
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 11:29am
Originally posted by yalilminx

We received the highlander bike rack and only tried to use it this weekend. How does anybody fit 2 bikes on it being so close to the rear of the pod? Even with different sized bikes we couldn't get it! Pictures anyone?

Face them opposite directions.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>