R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGot the POD home safe and sound!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got the POD home safe and sound!
    Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 11:11am
Got the POD  177 home safe and sound from the dealer yesterday evening.  I believe it was something of a miracle, and I'm not kidding.  I drove the 50 miles home in high gusty winds due to the storm front that had passed through here in the southeast.  The POD didn't sway due to the sway bar, but I sure could feel the wind resistance.

When I pulled up in the driveway and my husband saw the POD his face turned absolutely white.  There was no cotter pin holding the big pin in place -- you know, the big pin that attaches the ball hitch to the car.  My husband recently had a trailer come loose (but was able to stop safely) when he got in too big of a hurry and failed to put in the cotter pin, so you can imagine what he thought when he saw my ball hitch.  He said, "Someone was looking after you today."  And I think he was a little mortified that no one at the dealership realized it, and I felt quite sick to my stomach when I realized what could have happened.  

It had taken the dealership longer to get me ready to go than we anticipated -- other issues I won't go into now because it wasn't the dealer's fault -- it was issues with Mercedes and the brake controller -- but let me just say that several of them missed their lunch to get me going, and they all had worked very hard.  Anyway, Hodge-PODge is all set up and at the moment we are driveway camping!  I suppose all's well that ends well . . . . .

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 12:22pm
Glade that all worked out with the help of someone watching over you to get you home safe.
    This will make for a good campfire story in a few years.     Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 1:08pm
Thanks, Goose!  But when I think of what COULD have happened . . . . well, I'm just thankful it didn't!
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 2:50pm

You'll get in the habit of doing a full walk-around before you start moving, including at home, gas stops and rest stops.  One thing I always check is that cotter pin because it would be so easy for some kid to pull it out thinking they are being funny.  I also make sure nothing is hanging down on the 'pod including stabilizer jacks, steps, covers/caps.  I'm very glad nothing happened to you this time.

Take a look at my recent post in the camping adventures forum, I battled that wind all day yesterday, probably the worst towing experience in 24 years of pulling trailers.  I feel your pain!

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 3:48pm
I looked at your! post in the adventures forum.  You got out of my old stomping grounds in N.C. (I was born and raised near Wilmington) just in the knick of time!  Looks like someone was watching out for you and your tribe, too.

As for myself, I survived my maiden voyage, and learned an important lesson from it.  Thanks for advising me about doing a walk-around before I pull out.  VERY good idea!  I won't forget it.

2011 Mercedes ML350

Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 4:03pm
I've always used keyed-alike brass padlocks through both the receiver pin and the hitch hasp.  A padlock won't walk off and it won't jiggle loose and fall out.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 1:27pm
I don't use cotter pins, I use hitch pins in the receiver and trailer hitch. The ring on the hitch pin snaps back against the pin so that it can not slide out. On the trailer hitch I use a hitch pin for a tractor PTO, it can be found at any farm supply store.
 I have thought about investing in locks like Outbound but just have not gone that route yet.
      Goose 
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 1:55pm
Oubound and Goose,
Thanks for the ideas about pins and padlocks!  It will make for safer podding for us all. Smile
2011 Mercedes ML350

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 6:54pm
What the heck.....I'll throw in my $.02.

Like Outbound, I use a keyed alike set - one one the hitch bar and one for the camper tongue.  There ain't no way the hitch bar is going to come off.  I don't worry much about the hitch bar being stolen in the campground, but it would be very easy for someone to take when parked elsewhere.

I'm very glad nothing bad happened on your way home!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 7:08pm
Okay, Outbound and David . . . I like the idea you guys have of using a padlock instead of a pin -- but what size padlock are you talking about?  And how did you get your set of padlocks all "keyed alike?"  Do you buy them that way?
2011 Mercedes ML350

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>