R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtraveling w/water question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: traveling w/water question
    Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 8:07pm
Maiden voyage is planned for later this week. My question is, how much water do you carry in your fresh water tank while on the road? 
I'll have hook ups when I get to my destination, but just thinking having water for potty stops is a good thing. I'm thinking filling it up only to 1/4.
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Iteach5th

Maiden voyage is planned for later this week. My question is, how much water do you carry in your fresh water tank while on the road? 
I'll have hook ups when I get to my destination, but just thinking having water for potty stops is a good thing. I'm thinking filling it up only to 1/4.

i towed mine from long beach ca to south texas about a quarter full with no problem.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Iteach5th

how much water do you carry in your fresh water tank while on the road?

We usually carry 5-10 gallons in the fresh tank, plus the ~6 gallons in the water heater and lines.  As you say, water to flush the toilet is handy.  Plus, we'll use water for washing dishes after a lunch break and occasionally for a quick shower after stopping at a beach (need a bit more water for that, tho).
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 12:58am
We have towed with anywhere from a 1/4 to 1/2 tank. Last weekend we took a full tank of water on, but only went about 50 miles. I have also noticed on our Pod, when the light comes on for, say a 1/4 tank of water, you are nowhere near 1/4 tank, you need to get the 1/2 level light to just start to flicker before you have a 1/4 tank. Unless I messed up somewhere, this seems to be how our Pod is.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 5:47am
[QUOTE=Iteach5th] just thinking having water for potty stops is a good thing. I'm thinking filling it up only to 1/4.
************************************************************************************

This is what I do; for the reason you state and to give Dixie some water along the way, as needed.

As mentioned, the tank indicator lights are not terribly accurate.  I have found the fresh tank to be transluscent enough that I can see the water level in it.  It is the "white" tank, most near the front of the Pod.  A full tank would add nearly 300lbs. of weight (8lbs. per gallon X 36 gallons) in front of the axle
on the Pod.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 3:06pm
I usually put 5-10 gallons in for rest stops, but for our current trip to FL I took 1/2 tank.  Partly due to many more rest stops but I also wanted to get a shower the morning of day 2.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
SweetPeaPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 12:40am
I usually start out with about 1/4 full on the water...mostly for rinsing dishes and the potty flush.  I even reduce that amount for other small water needs..plants, small wash jobs, I get the litter in the jug  which is several gallons, refill it with water and use it for those miscellaneous things..even washing small puppies.   or soaking your feet after a hard days climbing Mt Everest. 
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:23am
Originally posted by SweetPeaPod

I usually start out with about 1/4 full on the water...mostly for rinsing dishes and the potty flush.  I even reduce that amount for other small water needs..plants, small wash jobs, I get the litter in the jug  which is several gallons, refill it with water and use it for those miscellaneous things..even washing small puppies.   or soaking your feet after a hard days climbing Mt Everest. 

I know what you mean about the sore feet after climbing Mt. Everest!LOLLOLLOL

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 9:34pm
Nothing like coming back to the 'pod after a long day on K2.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply