R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHey guys, just bought an RP-172..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey guys, just bought an RP-172..
    Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 2:09pm
I've been reading and thanks to all of you, your information and insight has allowed me to buy wisely and know what I need to prepare towing this baby.  I'll be towing this baby with a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer LT with tow package.  Thanks to you guys, I've also added a trans oil cooler to the truck.  I've also had the dealership install the anti-sway bar.  As far as towing it goes, I've never towed a trailer before.  Shocked  That said, I have to admit to feeling a bit of trepidation in regard to doing so.  I am a bit scared of what this would mean for my turning radius, highway driving, and backing up.  Questions for those who might have a similar set-up to my own:  How different will it be to tow?  I plan on traveling all over the country between finishing my Masters and going off for my PhD, so I'd like to know if towing this Rpod will be a relaxing experience for me.  Thanks for the great advice guys and the forum of like minds to share these questions.

Gary

Smile  
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 2:10pm
2010 RP-172 that is.  
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 2:25pm
Welcome Gary
Ready to pod around!
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 2:33pm
Welcome to the forum.  I sure you will find almost any information regarding R-Pods and modifications to them here.

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 2:58pm
Welcome.  The numbers I found for your vehicle say 275 horsepower, 274 ft/pounds of torque, and 5300 pounds towing capacity.  All very good numbers for towing a 'pod, so you won't have any problems going up hills.  Most likely you don't need a weight distribution hitch so your sway bar will be enough. 

As you tow keep in mind that you now have 10 points in space to worry about and not 4 as you make turns, back up, and squeeze through tight spots.  Front truck corners, rear truck corners, front 'pod corners, 'pod wheels since they stick out, and rear 'pod corners.  At first you will be "white knuckles" going down the road but eventually you'll realize you relaxed some.  Eventually it will feel no different than driving the truck w/o a trailer.  Just make sure to leave lots of extra room in front of you.

Best way to learn how to back your rig up is to go to a local school parking lot on the weekend and practice getting it into a parking spot.  Go slow and remember to turn your steering wheel the opposite of how you back your truck w/o a trailer.

You should also get an inertia-based brake controller like the Tekonsha Prodigy, that will make your breaking much better than the cheap ones newbies usually get sold.  We have just started a comprehensive R-pod tutorial/instruction manual here which will be useful to you.  Take a look at the first thread in the Maintenance forum to see the work-in-progress.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 3:46pm
Welsome to the group!  I hope you have many happy travels in your new Pod. Smile

I can't add much to what Techntrek wrote - he covered it well. 
MissPolly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 5:34pm
How wonderful, Congrats!!! You will have many relaxing days in your pod. Good luck on your advanced degrees, and the many years of joy the process will grant you.

Happy Travels,
Polly
Faux Pod owner, mother to Strike 7 mths old future left handed relief pitcher, and Atlas 3 yr old Neo Mastiff
Flagstaff Micro Lite XLT 18RK
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 6:11pm
Hi - welcome to the forum!  I am presently working on my Ed.D. (Education Doctorate), and am in the dissertation phase.  I've planned a couple of trips in the HodgePODge already where there is wireless setup in the campground so I hope to be able to relax some even if I have to work some, too.  (Am I CRAZY or what -- I really should be enjoying my grandkids!)  I am picking up my RP-177 on Saturday. 

This forum has already helped me a lot.  I have a little bit of the same concerns you do, but I figured if I could back up a popup then I can back the pod up, too. (You can't see over the top of the popup when you back it up anyway.)  About what Techntrek said, "You should also get an inertia-based brake controller like the Tekonsha Prodigy," I wonder if that's what the POD dealer is getting for me.  He called me very concerned today about putting a brake controller on my new Mercedes ML350 because Mercedes requires a special module that has to be installed before using a brake controller - very expensive and on backorder so it isn't available to me now anyway.  So the dealer recommended that we use the wireless module  that Tekonsha makes.  One part goes on the towable, and the other part plugs into the cigarette lighter in the tow vehicle.  Being wireless you can use it on any tow vehicle.  He said they are running into this problem with a lot of new cars so they have ordered several of these modules.  Obviously, I don't sound like I really know what I am talking about because I really don't Embarrassed but I liked his suggestion because I'm not  having to make any structural modifications to my vehicle and I think it is work the extra money -- and still cheaper than Mercedes.  (I bet Techntrek knows exactly what I'm talking about even if I don't!)  

. . .  Enough of all that because the really important thing here is welcome aboard -- from one newbie to another.  You will learn a lot here.  These techie guys here in the forum, they're the ones who should really have the PhD!

Happy Podding!

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

jayber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 7:09pm
Congrats and welcome from another newbie.
Jay
2010 Honda Odyssey
RP 171 aka PodInn
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 7:50pm
We have 2006 Trailblazer that we tow with.  We get along fine with the sway bar.  We do not have a tow package, but well within the limits of the trailblazer.  I had never backed a trailer before, but with a little patience, it is not bad at all.  We have gone out twice with it and of course towed it home.  We did buy a new pickup and will be towing with it this summer.  But not afraid to use trailblazer.
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>