R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShuttle Launch (updated with pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shuttle Launch (updated with pics)
    Posted: 19 May 2011 at 1:52pm

Here are a few select shots from my last trip.  Unfortunately the cloud cover was low, at around 5000 feet, so that is why I only saw 15 seconds of the show.  The first picture is a NASA press shot – I would have killed to be that close, but being that close will literally kill you.  My vantage point was 12 miles in the direction that the left wing is pointing (west).  I included 2 close-up crops, one shows it just above the tower pretty much at the same height as the press shot.  The second close-up shows it after it has begun the “roll program”, at that point the tail was pointing directly away from me so you can (barely) see the outline of the wings, the rocket boosters and the fuel tank.  I forgot once again to get a telephoto lens for my wife’s camera so these aren’t great on detail – that will have to wait for the next trip down in July…

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 1:54pm

Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 2:48pm
Cool shots, I'm jealousDead.  I've always wanted to be there for one of the launches.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 3:20pm
You still have one more chance.... I've already talked one couple into joining us in July...
GrandPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 6:32pm
 Doug; Great report of the shuttle lift off. At being 12 miles from the launch pad ; how is the
noise level at lift off at this distance? Also would it be possible to pull off the road with the R-Pod in this area ?
 Thanks
   Tom
Tom and Linda
R-Pod 177
Southwest Florida
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 7:44pm
Thanks for the pics!  Too cool.  It's a bit sad for me that we (as a Nation) just can't afford to do more space exploration.  A lot of good stuff came out of the space program.  It also gave us (as a Nation) something to be proud of. Thumbs Up
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 8:31pm
I'm glad you finally made it!  Of course, YOU were ready all along, but the shuttle wasn't.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 9:03pm

The noise was interesting.  I had read before I left that depending on atmospheric conditions it could be anywhere from fairly quiet to chest-shaking.  Without prior experience I can only guess that this was half-way.  Fairly loud, with the expected loud pops from the rocket boosters (they don't burn their fuel evenly so you get pops) but not what I would call chest-shaking.  What was interesting was since we were 12 miles away it had disappeared into the clouds long before the first sounds from ignition reached us.  So once the visible show was done we then got a minute or two of sound.

Definitely room for 'pods and tow vehicles.  I didn't see any on this trip in the area where I was, but last trip I saw RVs up and down the road wherever they could park on the news.  As long as there is no "no parking" or "private parking" sign, the Titusville police don't care.  The trip in July I'm considering taking the 'pod again since we'll all be there (I don't think my wife would sleep in the van like I did).  Parking right where I am in that pic above, maybe 50 feet farther forward since just past that electric pole its only wide enough for vehicles so nobody could try to squeeze around me to park farther in.  I was the first person in there the night before and several people squeezed past me after spots around me filled in.  I was glad I was there 2 weeks earlier so I knew right where to go this time.

David, I agree.  I like that they are pressing for private industry to come up with solutions, but for the first time since our space program started we will be without any active solution to keep us in space.  I know Orion was revived after the whole Constellation program was killed, but its now just an escape capsule for the ISS.  No moon shot, no Mars shot. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 6:13am
Tell me you didn't build and fly models rockets (Estes Company) when you were a youngster!  I still recall the thunderous roar of the mighty "B" engines (along with all of the newspapers I delivered to buy the stuff). Smile
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 10:52am
Oh yes!  I even built a Space Shuttle model and when we did a rocket building unit in school I fired it off in front of my class.  Which was a big disappointment, it recommended a break-in launch with an A motor which took that behemoth up about... 10 feet.  Did I mention this was in front of my class?  Yeah, that was embarrasing.  I think it could take a C motor after that but the 2nd launch - in front of my class - still didn't take it that far.  I never fired it off again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>