R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPod recall from transport canada

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod recall from transport canada
    Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 11:18pm
My dealer here in Regina alone said they've sold about 20 some RPods that will be affected by the recall, and one still on the lot. And we're not a large city. I imagine every major city in Canada has a dealer so it adds up quick. Just think about the number of RPods in the states.
Ready to pod around!
Gerald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 9:06am
Outbound, no apoligies needed.........I guess that great minds must think alike.

Thanks for your update. When I got into work this morning there was a phone message from Susan Thornberg at Forest River. She explained briefly about the recall and asked that I forward my VIN number for verification. Sounds like things are moving. Now we just have to sit and wait.
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and The Boys (2 Shelties)......Canuck Podders
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Outbound

Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Outbound can I move up there with you till at least the work on my R-Pod is done?  I don't eat too much  Big smile

Certainly!  I'm sure that you won't find rent at our house too unreasonable Star

On an unrelated side note: looks like I'll be able to afford a new truck sooner than I had thought Wink

Wow must be great to come into extra money like that....... Oh wait! your renter is going to pay for it.  Star
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 2:15pm
I always assumed that I would be able to tow my R-Pod into Canada!  I live about two hours drive from the border.  I had planned to do some camping up in NW Ontario this summer.  But if my US R-Pod is illegal to haul north of the border, I may have to cancel my plans.
If Forest River won't retro-fit my R-Pod, I guess I will have to spend my own money to correct FR's
DOT deficiency!
TIDALWAVE
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 2:21pm
As a followup to Pawpop's Canadian recall...why does Forest River have to install an complicated and expensive spoiler on the backs of the R-Pods?  Installing a spoiler just to get clearance lights on the back doesn't make much sense.  It has been quite established that the spoiler on most units is just for cosmetic design.  Retrofitting a spoiler will require major roof rework!  Why not just install a simple three-lite LED bar on the back?  It certainly should be easier to snake the required wiring down the roof than ripping a section of the roof out.
TIDALWAVE
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by TIDALWAVE

I always assumed that I would be able to tow my R-Pod into Canada!

You can.  As long as your trailer is legal to haul where you call home, its legal to haul it here.  However, if you live here, you must follow to the rules.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by TIDALWAVE

As a followup to Pawpop's Canadian recall...why does Forest River have to install an complicated and expensive spoiler on the backs of the R-Pods?  Installing a spoiler just to get clearance lights on the back doesn't make much sense.  It has been quite established that the spoiler on most units is just for cosmetic design.  Retrofitting a spoiler will require major roof rework!  Why not just install a simple three-lite LED bar on the back?  It certainly should be easier to snake the required wiring down the roof than ripping a section of the roof out.

I've seen lots of speculation (and participated quite a bit too) concerning, but AFIK, nothing has actually been established yet concerning how effective a spoiler would be.  Certainly, my own computer-generated airflow experiments show the position of the stock spoiler on the most recent r-pods to be in the most effective position.

If you want to run wires down through the roof of the r-pod, the ceiling panels inside must come out.  There are wood braces every 16" or so with insulation packed between.  There's no way you could fish wiring through there.

As far as a LED light bar vs. the spoiler light bar, there may be other factors.  It may be a matter of economy: the spoilers are a stock part and presumably have already passed Transport Canada inspection, so Forest River can begin a replacement program right away.  A LED light bar installed above the window on the curve of the roof may allow an unacceptable amount of light to bleed forward and glow may be seen from the front of the trailer, potentially confusing oncoming motorists.  It may simply be a matter of aim: A standard LED light bar, installed on the curve of the roof, would point toward the horizon; as LEDs give off directional light, there may be an insufficient brightness reaching a trailing motorist.  The spoiler light bar was designed to be mounted on the r-pod's curved roof and point its lights backwards, aimed at a trailing motorist. 
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
LunaPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 9:49pm
From looking at my spoiler with the LED lights, it looks to be bolted on the regular roof and the edges caulked. Is it possible the wiring is being fished up the back from the taillights along an existing frame member?
Mike & Barb, R Pod 173 - TV 2011Silverado
DerekMc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 3:39pm
My letter came today. A quick call to Campkins showed at least a couple of weeks before they can do anything. I don't think they were expecting this little problem to be dropped in their lap at this time of the year. Gave the service department all my information and they will call in a couple of weeks.

Derek
Gerald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 3:50pm
Thanks Derek,
As soon as I receive my letter I will be giving Campkins a call to order the part and set up a time. Hopefully I can get it  done before caming season starts.

Gerald
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and The Boys (2 Shelties)......Canuck Podders
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>