R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPod recall from transport canada

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod recall from transport canada
    Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 2:30pm
Our dealer had no ideal about it. Our RPod has the lights from the factory. The models with the new graphics seem to have them. Weird that forest river never told my dealer or others, ecpecially after midyear installing them.
Ready to pod around!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Pawpod

Weird that forest river never told my dealer or others, ecpecially after midyear installing them.

I'm not surprised that Forest River is keeping this fairly quiet.  The parts are probably $60-$80, and the labour to install will be enormous: I'd guess 6-8 hours.  A ceiling panel will have to come down inside, a brace installed, wires routed...  this has got to cost somewhere in the $700/unit range.  Even if there are only 713 units affected, that's about half a million dollars.

And that's just Canada.  Imagine if a similar decision comes down in the US...
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Gerald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Outbound

Originally posted by Pawpod

Weird that forest river never told my dealer or others, ecpecially after midyear installing them.

I'm not surprised that Forest River is keeping this fairly quiet.  The parts are probably $60-$80, and the labour to install will be enormous: I'd guess 6-8 hours.  A ceiling panel will have to come down inside, a brace installed, wires routed...  this has got to cost somewhere in the $700/unit range.  Even if there are only 713 units affected, that's about half a million dollars.

And that's just Canada.  Imagine if a similar decision comes down in the US...
This might be a good oportunity for me to get the TV, which is mounted in the centre of the bed moved over to the foot of the bed. It is not well located. Also we will now know for sure if the spoiler would help the gas mileage. (Hate to bring this up again, I doubt if it will make and difference, even Forest River said the spoiler was for cosmetics).
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and The Boys (2 Shelties)......Canuck Podders
rabuol View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 6:10pm
Bought my Rpod at McPhail's in Harriston, Ontario....and this what a technician answered about the recall:

Update: Ijust spoke with the factory and we need to add light bezels on the back and lights on the fenders and the kits will be available starting in a couple weeks.

Lou
Lou
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 7:44pm
** UPDATE **

I received reply to my email from Susan Thornberg at Forest River today.

Susan confirmed that my 2009 RP171 is part of the recall (I had provided her with my VIN number).  She told me that she had just begun the recall process late last week and will be mailing out instructions on how to handle the recall to all affected owners by the end of next week.  Susan confirmed that the recall work will include the installation of a spoiler with 3 clearance lights and that a light will be installed on each fender.

So, it looks like Canadian owners who are affected by the recall will receive notification in the next 3-4 weeks.

On a side note, it also looks like we'll have a good sample of owners who'll be able to give concrete confirmation (or denial) of whether the spoiler improves gas mileage.  Admittedly, Forest River reps have stated on several occasions that the spoiler was not designed to improve gas mileage, but I'm still curious.

Side note #2: my thanks to Susan Thornberg for getting back to me so quickly with complete answers to my questions.

-edit-

For some reason, I said virtually the same thing concerning spoilers and gas mileage that Gerald already said above.  I have no idea why.  I must be going senile.  Apologies to Gerald.
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 9:07pm
She didn't happen to mention whether that would affect your neighbors to the south, did she?

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 9:10pm
Outbound can I move up there with you till at least the work on my R-Pod is done?  I don't eat too much  Big smile
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by ToddsPod

She didn't happen to mention whether that would affect your neighbors to the south, did she?

To tell you the truth, with my pulled-it-out-of-my-fanny* calculation that fixing the Canucks will cost Forest River a cool half million dollars, I didn't want to ask about our brothers and sisters to the south.

* apologies to any Brits reading this, but a fanny is quite a different thing this side of the Atlantic
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Outbound can I move up there with you till at least the work on my R-Pod is done?  I don't eat too much  Big smile

Certainly!  I'm sure that you won't find rent at our house too unreasonable Star

On an unrelated side note: looks like I'll be able to afford a new truck sooner than I had thought Wink
AvalancheRpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:44pm
Do you really think they've sold 713 R-pods in Canada? Seems high to me.

Personally, I'm in no hurry to get it done. I'll wait till they've installed a few of these kits before they tear into mine. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>