R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDe-winterizing checklist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: De-winterizing checklist
    Posted: 12 May 2011 at 6:01pm
I am going out to see if I might have an access there. These Pods are strange in some ways. Does not always seem to be a standard for each model.
Thanks
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 6:17pm
I DO have an access panel with four screws. But, as you said, in order to get into it you have to fit in the storage compartment hole in the first place. And I think there is another turn off up close to the wall that I would not be able to reach by that route. Again, I say. Not always much thought about the care of the Pod by the owner. Just build to sell.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:30pm
Now I'm curious about mine, since mine is an earlier 171.  But its dark out now.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 7:09am
If you find a way to even reach the valves, let us know. Now, wonder what good the little removable panel serves?
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by mountain mist

Why Oh Why was this Pod built with the access to the water heater cut offs so inaccesable??
It is more than one person can do for sure and such a tight space 2 people have a time doing it.
Getting under the mattress to hold it up and then lift the board support up it near impossible.

I have the 171. IS there any way to get it done that we have not found?

I am wondering (both yourself and HodgePODge).....How high would you need to lift the matress to be able to reach in and turn the valve?  Also, about how big is the panel that you need to remove?  I might have an idea or two to give you superhuman strenght!

Right now, I have to get back to the garage and put the last few rivits in my "Ironman" suit....I bet I can cook on the campfire with one of those! Smile
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 11:12pm
Curiouser and curiouser, David.  (Okay . . . I know, "curiouser" isn't even a REAL word.)  Superhuman strength?  I admit it does look like Mountain Mist and I will either have to have superhuman strength or be contortionists -- one or the other! Ouch
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 8:50am
I have to get under the mattress (blinds up and out of the way) with my back pushing it up to a height that the panel can clear (unscrewing the odd screws they had in the shop that day, but have been replaced with regular phillips head ones) . Then get the panel out of the way (36" in length)THEN you can get into the cavity to the valves. BUT there has to be 2 people to do this because someone has to keep the mattress aloft!
I am thinking of at least leaving the screws out if the panel does not shift. This will NOT set well with the hubby, everything has a place and should be in it. Appears the only way into it unless you have an elastic body and can get into the useless panel in the storage compartment. Even then there is a valve up agains't the bulkhead where the refrigrator is.
For what good it will do < I think I will put this problem in the FR "complaints" or changes. Am I the only one to have complained about this other than Hodge-PODge? Won't change my current problem, but maybe some way they can rethink their access to it. I have not gone out to look to see why there could not be another panel that opens on the left side of the hot water heater. I don't know what is already there. Probably some of you do.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 8:55am
By the way. That is 36" from front to back, not along the front edge of bed. So mattress has to be up enough to get the panel out. This is while you are unscrewing between you legs, but if you bend over the mattress is getting out of hand by coming down over your head!
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:06am
I've considered cutting a pole to length so I can lift the mattress AND the access panel that lets you get into the storage compartment (the same compartment you can get to from the access door on the floor), then jam the pole in place to hold the plywood up.  Then it would be hands-free getting into the water heater compartment.  Two people could stand side-by-side - barely - to lift the mattress and large access panel, and put the pole in place.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:48am

Upon further review, I probably shouldn’t give you superpowers equal to my own. The two of you might decide to turn evil and destroy us all! I have enough trouble already battling the “camping gods”.

I can imagine many “Rube Goldberg” contraptions that one could tinker together to lift the mattress. However, they might be a bit too complex and troublesome to make. Since I am not familiar with the layout of the RP171, I’ll proceed forth with the following assumption, based upon what I have read; The water heater is located underneath the mattress - near the corner where the bed and fridge meet and is accessed by removing a (guessing) 2’ X 2’ panel. I am also going to assume that you need to lift the mattress only enough to reach in and turn the bypass valves.

Harkening back to my days working on the rescue squad, among the “tools in our arsenal” were these pneumatic (air) bags that we could inflate, to say, lift a vehicle off of someone pinned underneath. If you go look at your vehicle now, you will find it held off the ground by four circular “air bags”, with about 30psi (+ or -) of air (your tires).

Now, if my assumptions are correct, you could lift the mattress about 10” (+ or -) by obtaining a rubber “inner-tube”; such is on the rear wheels of my lawn tractor. Slip it between the mattress and supporting wood - but not covering the access panel, and then, inflate it. You won’t need anywhere near 30psi to do the job. When you are done, deflate and remove the inner-tube. If additional height is needed, stack 2 inner-tubes. For the sake of safety, you may want to wedge a stiff container between the mattress and wood - should the inner-tubes shift/drop.

So, you can have super powers for the price of a lawn tractor inner-tube! If you would like other ideas, just ask. However, I will not tell you how to make a “repulsar beam”, no matter how many times you ask! (see first paragraph)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>