R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDe-winterizing checklist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: De-winterizing checklist
    Posted: 09 May 2011 at 11:47am
Originally posted by techntrek

Yeah, all I can grow is moss, too.  Lots of shade since I'm in the woods.  Just to be absolutely clear, the pink RV antifreeze is a food-grade additive used in the food and cosmetic industries, no worries about putting it on the ground.

The yellow or pink automotive antifreeze (lots of thanks to the idiot that made the newer stuff pink, too) is sweet to the taste so it attracts animals and it will kill them through liver failure.

Not that it matters, but the automotive antifreeze causes kidneyl failure, seizures and death.  Dead is dead whether it is due to liver or kidney failure.    I didn't realize that the colors where different though.  I thought automotive antifreeze was green?  Since it only takes a small amount to kill, it is proper to be cautious about it.  Cry
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 10:24pm
Interesting, I just did a quick search and saw about as many search results that said kidney as I saw that said liver.  I didn't dig in to find the correct answer... not that it matters, like you said, it kills.  I would say the older stuff is yellow-green, kind of florescent, more yellow.  The newer long-lasting stuff which GM used (I think it caused corrosion problems so I don't know if they still do) is similar in color to the RV stuff.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:40am
Why Oh Why was this Pod built with the access to the water heater cut offs so inaccesable??
It is more than one person can do for sure and such a tight space 2 people have a time doing it.
Getting under the mattress to hold it up and then lift the board support up it near impossible.

I have the 171. IS there any way to get it done that we have not found?

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:52am
I really don't find it difficult.  Its a two-minute job.

From my post (here):

Before you begin, raise the blinds in the back so that they're out of the way and remove all sheets/foam pads from the mattress.  Lift up the edge of mattress and sit down on the plywood underneath, holding the mattress up with your shoulders and back of your head while you work.  Unscrew the access panel over the water heater, move the plywood out of the way, and you'll see the three bypass valves.  For normal operation, turn the valves on the pipes leading into/out-of the water heater parallel to the pipes; the third (middle) valve, which is on a short piece of pipe running between the other two valves must be turned perpendicular to the pipe.

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by mountain mist

Why Oh Why was this Pod built with the access to the water heater cut offs so inaccesable??
It is more than one person can do for sure and such a tight space 2 people have a time doing it.
Getting under the mattress to hold it up and then lift the board support up it near impossible.

I have the 171. IS there any way to get it done that we have not found?

Mountain Mist, I'm of the same opinion. Censored    I'm afraid Outbound had to calm me down with the same instructions (but I'm still not happy about it -- NOT about you, Outbound, because I APPRECIATE you -- just unhappy about the process, just the process.)
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Outbound

I really don't find it difficult.  Its a two-minute job.

That's because you're a MAN with a strong back!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:12am
HoLOL We did it as suggested. Now this was the way we did it when it was time to winterize. Just happened tobe one of those freak(and are we not getting more of those) hot days in November, Must have been 95 degress in the Pod.
This time not hot. I was the one holding up the mattress and got better leverage on it by having both feet pushing on the opposite wall!Cry I can understand that each time it is done, as with anything else, one gets more efficient. BUT there is no way in Hail that I can do this on my own. And I want to be able to do everything I can myself. Keeping the mattress in the air and unscrewing the odd screws, how many folks have that tool around. My husband has every tool know to man and sounds as if a healthy number of you do, but get out of there. Why not a plain phillips? Does this screw hold better?? I digress.
Left holding the mattress aloft, unscrewing AND lifting the panel out takes more strength than I will be able to muster.  I do think having some finger holes bored in would help too.
Now, in my readings somewhere in the forum, I think the question was raised about leaving the panel unscrewed. Would it shift? If not, if I can get those screws out and into a safe keeping place, and bypass the hubby's noticeStar, one step would be taken out.
I am no engineer (and I wonder sometime if there are ANY engineers putting in 2 cents on all RV's), but have 6 in the family/extended family. If any of THIER minds were put to it they would come up with better (and easier) designs. I know the hot water heater is in ok place, but what kept FR from putting outside access to it?
AND maybe a man can do this task. BUT maybe not when you are 76 as my hubby is.  Thing is, if you can not perform the tasks on an RV then you do not need to be dealing with one. And this leaves out a lot of people that love to camp and could if more thought went into even this one function.

Off my soap box. Going to get out and polish Escape Pod starting this morning. A panel at a time now that it is clean! Sure looks good with a clean face.
Now that I am almost ready to roll someplace, the weather forcast looks pretty poorOuch
I know I am staying on high ground and out of twister country.
To any of you that are in those areas, God bless and hope you are OK>

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:21pm
The screws under the mattress on mine were regular phillips - and once they came out I left them out to make the future access easier.  The lid stays in place with the mattress on it.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by mountain mist

I do think having some finger holes bored in would help too.
Now, in my readings somewhere in the forum, I think the question was raised about leaving the panel unscrewed. Would it shift? If not, if I can get those screws out and into a safe keeping place, and bypass the hubby's noticeStar, one step would be taken out.

If you're concerned with it possibly shifting, you could build a frame that just fits the opening it's covering and attach it to the underside of the panel, that way it wouldn't budge horizontally. Finger holes would be a definite plus.

Really all you'd need is a couple blocks on opposite corners.

|                                    |
|                                 O |
-------------------------------

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
Mamajoma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 3:04pm
FYI (at least on my 177) there is an access to the water heater valve in the pass-through storage.  The cover to this access also was screwed in place, but at my walk through when they showed me the access they just left the screws out and the cover off.  It is best to to be skinny and have long arms if you plan use this access though 'cause you have to get your head and chest into the storage compartment to see and reach the valves.
mamajomba
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>