Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCamping with vehicle attached

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping with vehicle attached
    Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 4:46pm
A group of us are planning a cross country bike tour & my wife will be driving the R-Pod attached minivan as a sag wagon.  Since the bikers will be leaving the campsite before my wife (she likes to sleep in), this means that we would need to reattach the minivan to the trailer before she's awake.  A friend who has lots of RV'ing experience suggested that I keep the minivan attached to the trailer at the campsite.  I was under the impression that this was in some way dangerous due to the proximity of the propane tank to the car.  What do you think about this idea?  Would it be safe if I make sure that the car isn't running while the propane tank is open?  Thanks for your help.
Bob
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 4:57pm
I have camped with our R-Pod attached to the tow vehicle.  One of the first things you want to make sure is to detach the cable from the car to trailer.  Trust me you do not want to drain the battery down where the car will not start the next day.  I also drop the tongue jack down if I can to help take the weight off the car.  But have ran everything in the camper.

Sounds like a neat trip biking from spot to spot. A few years back I had wanted to bike the Canal  from Cumberland Maryland down to Washington DC with my kids but that never happened.  Now the kids are older and want nothing to do with that.
rshapiro126 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:08pm
Thanks.  Those are great suggestionsSmile.

Bob
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:21pm
I second everything rpodcamper says.  If I am just overnighting somewhere, I never unhook the trailer.  I do unhook the Bargman (electrical plug) connector (as mentioned, for the reason mentioned).

The only danger I see from the propane is if there is a leak.  If there is any doubt about the integrity of the system check all of the fittings with a soap solution or have it checked by a professional - as this would be dangerous hooked or unhooked. 

While the tanks do have a safety vent incorporated into the regulator, it should only release a small amount only if there is excessive pressure; such as sitting in the direct sun for a long period.

I look at it this way, my vehicle has 20+ gallons of exposive liquid (gasoline) on board.  Could something go wrong with that - yes, but probably not (at least it hasn't in many years of driving).  Personally, I've never heard of an incident similar to what you mention. 

Relax and enjoy the trip....it sounds cool!   
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:33pm
I wouldn't worry about using the propane tank while connected to your vehicle.  Its perfectly legal to travel with the propane running (apart from ferries and tunnels, and while refuelling).

You may run into levelling problems if your campsite is off-kilter.  If the tilt is out more than a few degrees, it can lead to crystals forming in your fridge coils, reducing its effectiveness and eventually an expensive repair.  Also, I personally find it uncomfortable to sleep at an angle - and you're going to want a good nights sleep with all that exertion.

You may wish to buy your wife some solo hitch aligners so that she can hitch-up by herself at her leisure.  They're very easy to use and she'll become an expert after 3-4 tries.  She's going to have to do all the other trailering tasks anyway (filling the fresh tank with water, backing in, levelling, going to the dump station)... hitching is really quite minor.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:03pm
One more comment - if you are camping with hookups you can keep the Bargman connector connected.  This will keep not only the 'pod's battery topped off but it will also keep the car's battery topped off.  If you are dry camping do as rpodcamper said and disconnect the Bargman connector.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
profmagickb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 6:07pm
I hitch up while my wife is sleeping, or getting ready in the pod.....never had any problems. I also have left it hitched up through the night. I also tow with the propane running the fridge. I think you will have an awesome time.... good luck
I can't even begin to describe it.... you would just have to see for yourself....
rshapiro126 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 7:27pm
Thank you all for your comments. This eases my mind & will make it easier for us to get an early start.Smile
Bob
AvalancheRpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 6:05pm
One possible problem with camping while hooked up is that some on some vans and suv's you may not be able to open the back door of the tow vehicle because of the tongue jack on the r-pod while you're hooked up.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 7:17pm
You can replace the factory jack with a fold-up model that fits on the side of the tongue.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>