R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpring Mods 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring Mods 2011
    Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 5:30pm
As the snowy, cold winter has been passing, I've been gathering together a few items for our trailer to be installed come spring.  Most are just gadgets and gizmos... its a bit of a stretch to call them mods.

1. Oxygenics BodySpa.

Some of you may remember that I purchased a replacement shower head last year.  It was a vast improvement over the stock shower head and for the most part we were happy with it.  However, it was wasteful with water (almost 3 gallons per minute) and I'm told that the water pressure was a bit weak for washing shampoo out of hair (as I have no hair, I must take second-hand advice on these matters.) So, I decided to go for the gusto and purchased an Oxygenics BodySpa low-flow showerhead.  They're on the expensive side, but they're awesome!

2. Wireless LED puck lights

Our basement storage (outside storage bay) isn't lit and it can be difficult finding things when we arrive late at the campground.  I had been thinking about wiring in a light or maybe picking up some puck lights at the dollar store when I ran into a set of wireless puck lights at Costco.  The four lights can be turned on or off individually by pressing on the clear cover, or they can be collectively turned on or off by using the supplied lightswitch.   This will be an easy install as 3M tape was included.

3. Step Mat

A great invention, and I have no idea why we didn't put one on the trailer before.  A step map is permanently installed on the step and is conveniently located for wiping your shoes off before entering the trailer.  The dirt stays outside where it belongs.

4. Shoe storage

I've mentioned doing this before, but never got around to it.  I'm going to cut a hole in the side of the dinette seat closest to the door and trim it out.  I've got a small boot tray that will fit neatly inside.  This will allow us to store our shoes out of the way.

5. Clothes shelf

I hate getting down on my hands and knees to get to my duffel bag out from under the bed.  This spring, I'll be building a shelf over the foot of our 171's bed to store clothes.  It'll be a simple design with a bungee-net front and will closely resemble the open shelves over our microwave and sink.  I have no concern about my design or carpentry skills, but there is some question about my finishing skills.  Oh well, I'll never know unless I try.  Wish me luck Big smile
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 5:50pm
It looks like you have a lot of tinkering around to do!Big smile

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 9:32pm
I need to add several shelves, but I'm still nervous about anchoring them well enough that they don't end up on my feet at 2 am!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 5:49am
Cool stuff, Outbound!  Let us know what you think of the items.  Both the shower and LED lights look interesting. 

I tend to use the most water showering, so it would be nice to find something effective that uses less water.

I've been scratching my head on lights - even considered making something myself.  While the standard lights are OK with hook-ups, I'd like to use LEDs when dry camping, to conserve power.  Something like what you purchased may be an option.  So far, I've resisted the urge to swap out the standard bulbs for the commercially available LED arrays.

I like the step mats - though I get the cheap ones at Walmart and replace them every couple of years.  Between those, a standard course textured "welcome mat" on the ground, and a small rubber backed rug inside of the door, I don't get a whole lot of dirt inside of the camper.  Dog fur - yes; so I still end up cleaning at least once per day.

I know that everyone is on the edge of their seats wondering what is on my project list, so I won't keep you in suspense any longer...........

1. An outside on/off  (weather-proof) switch to turn off the fridge when stopping to fill up with gasoline (I run on propane).

2. Making my own "monitor panel".  Mine is just like yours (and nearly every other camper), but it is behind closed doors, underneath the sink.  I tend to forget and leave the water pump and water heater on.  The lighted switches drain the battery and I waste propane.  Also, I want some additional features, such as; a digital volt meter, amp meter, outside temperature, maybe blinking LEDs to remind of the water pump and heater being on (maybe build in a timer that they will auto shut off after a set amount of time).  I also tend to forget and leave the TV antenna amplifier on, so I may do something about that. While I have a good place to "build in" mine - over the DVD player, above the dinette

by removing the blank panel (save and replace at trade in time), it could be made in a small picture frame sized enclosure.  I'm going to make plugs on the back of the original monitor panel, so it can be reconnected when I trade in.
AvalancheRpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 8:06am
Craig,

How many gallons per minute does the Oxygenetics use? 
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 9:18am
Outbound...
I purchased some 'Puck-type-LED' lites also, but my units have 24 LEDs in each and use 4 AA batteries.  I found that anything less than 24 LEDs just doesn't give enough illumination.  They cost me $4 a piece.  I put one in each storage bay and put a couple in the Pod itself.  The batteries tho' don't last more than 5-6 hours.

TIDALWAVE
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 11:28am
So far, I've resisted the urge to swap out the standard bulbs for the commercially available LED arrays.

With our last trailer (a tent trailer), I went whole-hog and installed solar panels on the roof and swapped the lights for LEDs.  Actually, I tried several different sets of LEDs over the years.  I was never happy.  The light was too blue (even the warm white ones), and frankly they were never bright enough.  In the end, I left one incandescent bulb and one LED light in each fixture and it was OK.

When we bought the r-pod, I decided to go a different route.  I bought a few 4 watt wedge bulbs for Noma moonrays at Home Depot (they're the same size as the 7 watt bulbs in the trailer) and replaced a few bulbs with the lower-wattage ones.  When watching TV, eating a romantic dinner or otherwise sitting around, we turn on a fixture with a low-wattage bulb.  When playing cards, cooking or reading, we turn on the high-wattage bulbs.  It works out fairly well.

I also tend to forget and leave the TV antenna amplifier on, so I may do something about that.

Me too.  I never remember to shut it off.

...I don't get a whole lot of dirt inside of the camper.  Dog fur - yes; so I still end up cleaning at least once per day.

I know a guy who bought a roomba for his trailer to deal with just this problem.  He says he's on vacation and shouldn't have to clean.

Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 11:32am
Originally posted by AvalancheRpod

Craig,

How many gallons per minute does the Oxygenetics use?

I've been told anecdotally by someone who owns one that it will use up to 2.1 gallons per minute.  The shower head has an adjustable flow valve, so I'll be able to set the flow rate myself.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 4:28pm

Has anyone tried 12 volt flourescents?  The warm colored ones are identical to incandescents, at least the ones I use around the house.  I finally had my first 2 burn out last week after about 4 years of switching over - and I bought "daylight" by mistake.  Dead

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 3:01pm
My planned Mods for this coming year are:

1) Run several 12 Volt Circuits and place sockets at key points to run 12 Volt items.  I have 2 auto fans I picked up from Walmart on Clearance last year.

2) Finish installing a single bike mount on the front of the camper.  It will require moving the gas tanks forward and changing the gas hose

3) Remove the front decals as they have peeled bad this winter again.  For the time being it will stay white till I come up with something else.

4) Lighting - want to do something that will conserve the battery better but not yet sure which way to go.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>