Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaiden Voyage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maiden Voyage
    Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 9:17pm

For 3 months we've only been able to look at our new Pod and dream of our first outing....our dream is coming true this weekend.  Finally have great weather coming and a day off from work.  We are taking the Pod on it's maiden voyage to Kings Mountain State Park, our home away from home.  We are so looking forward to setting everything up for real for the first time.  Will post pictures next week of the whole set up.  Hope everyone gets to camp this weekend!

Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 9:39pm
I would love to be able to go camping this weekend.  It's supposed to be 60 tomorrow in Chicago, but they're calling for snow on Sunday.  Go figure!  LOL

Enjoy your maiden voyage, and I would love to see photos.  I'm hoping that our maiden voyage will be in a few weeks.  

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 10:11pm
Tim, we are experiencing the same weather dilemas.  Can't wait for our maiden voyage too, iamsmonk. 

Dreaming in Iowa...
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 7:49am
I am still dreaming here also, 1st planned outing will be in April, even though it is supposed to reach 73 here in Kansas City today.

Have a great time, post pictures!

Tom
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
Folornhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 1:00pm

Mine is still at Jeff Couch's.  Didn't feel like going up to Yankee land and bringing it back through all the ice and snow...so our maiden voyage with our pod will be mid March.  Looking at about a thousand miles with a fair amount of meandering along the way.   Tongue

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 2:58pm
Good luck!  If you have any questions and have wifi access, post your questions and hopefully somebody can get back to you quickly.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 11:40pm
Our maiden voyage was a success Thumbs Up

It was almost like starting from scratch with the new pod.  It towed well, but still wish I had more power for those darned Carolina hills.  We will see how the truck pulls it next time vs. the Wrangler!  Setting up was a piece of cake, not much different than the pop-up. We had a nice little routine with the pop-up, it's now going to just take a couple of trips to get used to where everything is packed.  I LOVE the 'basement".  I can get to power cable, water hose and stuff while Carol is unloading the pod.  Setting up the dome was a little challenging.  Not the actual installation of it, just figuring out what 'panels' we did and did not want to use.  We finally settled on removing the entire front panel, leaving the sides which we absolutely loved.Heart  We installed the lower screen thinking it would possibly help keep the pups contained, this was before we decided to remove the front panel Embarrassed  Not sure we will use it in the future.   The only thing we had a problem with was the water heater.  This is the first water heater we've had and it was 3 months ago since the dealer explained to us how to use  it.  Long story short - I had one of the valves turned the wrong way which was mixing the hot and cold water.  A phone call to our dealer got us fixed right up.  Once I turned the middle valve the right way we had HOT water.    The bathroom was nice to have even though it is a bit cramped.  It beats having to go outside to the 'cabana' we used to have or having to walk to the bathhouse in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.  The little sink in the bath is really a useless item, but it makes an excellent toilet paper holder.  We did not use the furnace but our little electric/oscillating heater kept us plenty warm during the cool nights.  We love the refrigerator.  It's about twice the size of the one in the pop up and it was great being able to go ahead and put everyting in it before leaving the house.  And I don't know how many times I had lowerd the pop-up just to realize I had forgot to unpack the fridge.  so I had to crank it back up to get the stuff out, then into the cooler.  Packing up was a breeze and it was so great not to have to push and tuck and lower the pop-up or roll up that aggravating awning we had on it.  We loved our pop-up and had many wonderful trips in it.  But we are totally thrilled with the pod and look forward to many, many seasons in it.  Below are a few photos from this weekend:

And these are 3 of our babies!!!

Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 7:52am
Really neat, I was wondering how the dome was going to be to set up? Thanks for posting the pics.
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 11:10am
Congratulations on a great trip!!
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 12:32pm
Thanks for the description of the successes and snags on your first trip out. The doggies are too cute...the pictures really are much appreciated. We are still a week or so away from taking delivery on our 176T and hope to do as good a job as you did on describing our first trip out!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>