R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forest River Build Quality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote wvanauken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forest River Build Quality
    Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 8:12am
Why is it that poor build quality with many RVs seems to be just the way it is as if this has become a normalized part of the industry? Does the Dept. of Consumer Affairs know about this sad state of affairs? It seems that this has become an accepted part of business as usual. It is unacceptable. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here. I purchased a new 2019 Forest River R-pod 180 and had nothing but problems with it right from the get go. I took many pictures and did a write up and sent it to Forest River. They contacted me and basically said that since all these deficiencies were repaired at the dealership, why do I have an issue? I told them that the warranty really shouldn't be relied upon because the manufacturer build quality and quality control is poor. Warranty is to cover things that show up during a certain period as the unit is pulled and used. I do really think that Forest River is taking advantage of the dealerships to cover their butts in this regard. Anyway, after a lengthy conversation with FR in which I told them I feel I should be compensated for all the hassle of towing it back and forth to the dealership, the frustration, the waiting for FR to OK the warranty repairs and the extended time to receive parts. And the fact that my unit wasn't useable for the first 2-3 months of it's life. They finally asked me what type of compensation did I have in mind. I told them that some type of money reimbursement would be nice. They actually cut me a check for $500 which was nice, but really didn't address the issues they were having. Did they take it seriously enough to try and go back and rectify these build quality deficiencies or just call it the cost of doing business? I will never purchase another RV again unless I'm convinced I won't get ripped off. I've done many upgrades in addition to all the repairs to get it to the point where I'm satisfied and feeling good about taking it out on the road. Sorry for my lengthy two cents...or maybe three or four 🙂 but really, it's so ridiculous that we have to put up this type of stuff.
2019 R-pod 180
2008 Toyota Tundra
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 8:50am
You raise a valid point about build quality.  Unfortunately, it seems to be common in much of the USA RV business.  At some point some smart person with a few bucks in his pocket is going to make a deal with some European caravan builders to import some of their very nicely built trailers and sell them here at competitive prices.  Like the USA automakers, once they have some quality competition, they may get smart and start to pay some attention to the reliability of their products.  If not, they'll just fade away.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 5:17pm
Or people will look to Escape or Bigfoot trailers from Canada. They seem to be built better also. However, it is the price point also. You will never get a Rolls Royce at a Chevrolet price. The old equation applies:

Cheap
Fast
Quality

You can only pick 2 out of the three.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
wvanauken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wvanauken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 6:30pm
Once again...exactly. Big smile
2019 R-pod 180
2008 Toyota Tundra
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 6:33pm
For example:  https://www.donedeal.ie/caravans-for-sale/new-swift-sprite-ew-quattro-6-7-berth-caravan/34713463

But, if you get ones from countries that drive on the wrong side of the road, the entry door is on the wrong side too. Ermm
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 9:40am
Originally posted by lostagain

For example:  https://www.donedeal.ie/caravans-for-sale/new-swift-sprite-ew-quattro-6-7-berth-caravan/34713463

But, if you get ones from countries that drive on the wrong side of the road, the entry door is on the wrong side too. Ermm 

That would be a big ol' bummer. 

We recently had a fatal head-on near here. There was single-lane control lights where they were working on a short section of road. A driver visiting from Australia (where they drive on the left side of the road) left the single lane, and accidentally left the single lane on the wrong side of the road. He collided with a local car, and two of the passengers were fatally injured. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 2:21pm
Having driven in Ireland a few years ago was a mind bender for me.  One has a well developed spatial sense for where the side of the car opposite the driver's position is located, but switching to the opposite drive really messes up knowing where the opposite of the car is vis a vi the roadway.  Forgetting which is the correct side to drive on, especially with turns, is also a brain twister.  

The trend seems to be to switch from driving on the left side to the right.  The last big country to make the switch was Sweden in 1967.  Since then a number of smaller countries have made the switch too, such as Iceland and Nigeria.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Or people will look to Escape or Bigfoot trailers from Canada. They seem to be built better also. However, it is the price point also. You will never get a Rolls Royce at a Chevrolet price. The old equation applies:

Cheap
Fast
Quality

You can only pick 2 out of the three.

That's what we did. We purchased an Escape. We were lucky with our previous 179 because even though it had it's share of issues, they weren't nearly as bad as bent frames, sagging floors and separating walls. In the end, we purchased the Escape because we planned on longer trips and higher mileage and wanted something that would have longevity, so fiberglass was the obvious choice. As StephenH said, it all comes at a price. I will say we made some great memories with our Rpod and I had a lump in my throat when it rolled away with it's new owner. They are nice trailers but need continual TLC.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2023 at 10:18pm
Ours has been in the shop for a month and I must say, it has taught me to monitor ALL systems over the years and keep a ready toolbox and a friendly Users Group. In 2016 though, if we had been presented only $40k price tags at the dealers for well made, reliable, and long lasting trailers, we would never have signed up for this adventure.

The issue I have is with the disposable nature of the whole industry, making thousands of these every month, knowing how many will be worthless in ten years due to lack of attention, interest, and abundance in Craig's List, yet selling to mostly first time buyers. Second generation buyers tend to buy quality.
2016 179 Gastropod
2017 Ridgeline
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 1:10pm
Personally, I believe the longevity of a trailer declines significantly as the manufacturer attempts to make them lighter in order to appeal to a wider range of customers who wish to tow with their small trucks and SUVs. Any stick-built trailer is going to require a significant amount of care and feeding to keep it on the road which shouldn't be the case, but it is the reality. While we intend for our Escape 5.0 to be our last trailer, if I had to buy another, I would stay away from single axle, lightweight units.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>