R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Frame replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pod People View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frame replacement?
    Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 9:08am
Hello Stephen,
congratulations on your new trailer. I hope you and your wife will love it as much as your 179.  I know you spent a lot of time, money and effort to make the  mods that personalized your 179.  You gave us a lot of inspiration and ideas.
Please stay in touch with the RPod crowd here-your knowledge and insight has been very valuable through the years.
Best of luck
travel safe and often
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 9:01am
+1 to gpokluda's comment about the F-150 ecoboost, though given the weight of the proposed new trailer, I'd sure opt for the 3.5L engine instead of the 2.7L.  The difference in towing capacity will give you a comfortable margin of weight range.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 8:37am
If you decide to go with a new TV, I can't say enough good things about the Ford F150 with either of the EcoBoost motors. Roughly the same mpg as my previous Frontier 4.0 engine. The Powerboost configuration seems to be gaining popularity as well.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 7:01am
My wife and I were discussing that. I think the Frontier will be good for local trips, but for the Rockies, we will definitely want a TV with more capacity. Even the Blue Ridge Parkway will probably be better with a higher capacity TV.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 5:40am
Wow! That is a really nice trailer StephenH.  Congratulations on your decision to replace your current trailer.  You will find the bed orientation and the easier access a great deal more comfortable.  Also, the larger refrigerator and stove will also be a big plus.  I agree with jato a larger truck is really needed to tow the much heavier trailer.  We found that out when we got our Sonoma.  Though it wasn't really that much heavier than ourPod, it was enough of an increase that our Dakota was on the edge of its capacity.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 9:27pm
I could not be happier for you StephenH. That is a real nice rig, excellent choice. You will really appreciate the tandem axels which are probably around 3500lb capacity each, and the peace of mind knowing you have an over-built under carriage. Make sure you follow all guidance of torquing the wheel lug nuts at the recommended intervals. This is apparently a thing with tandems. Having a bed you exit from the side is life changing! Congratulations. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 8:21pm
Pretty nice looking rig StevenH.  Yessir, you will probably NEED to upgrade to a half ton pickup.  I see it weighs over 2000 lbs. more than my 177, that is significant.  Hope you enjoy your new toy and btw am glad you will still be 'hanging out' with us smaller and lighter podders on this forum.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 8:01pm
Agreed. We decided to do so. We went back to the RV show in Raleigh. There were no RPods there and the NoBo models were not ones we liked. We saw another Forest River Product and liked it, so we are going to make a lateral move to a Grey Wolf 24JS.

It is a 2023 model, and comes with a lot of features. It is heavier, but also has dual axles. As long as we don't load it down, we should still be okay to tow with the Frontier, but we will seriously begin looking for a half-ton pickup.

I won't miss the E/W bed. This one has ducted heat and AC, so it will hopefully be quieter. It includes the Base Camp package and from what I am reading, includes the Limited and Campfire packages too. It has a tankless water heater. It has a real oven and a 3 burner stove. It has just a microwave, not a convection microwave.

One thing it lacks and I am glad it does is a window on the front. I really did not want one. It has a real oven and a 3 burner stove. It has just a microwave, not a convection microwave.

It is still a Forest River product, so we will still be FROG members. I plan on sticking around the forum. I hope to still see many of you in person again.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 5:46pm
Have to agree with LA. Get what you can for it and start looking at new or newer-used. There is no reason why it would't make a nice weekend camper or possible a simple basecamp for a hunter. Someone may also decide it would be perfect for additional living space like a "she-shed". 

Life's too short. Get something you and your wife would enjoy and fits your budget and TV.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 3:17pm
StephenH, since the whole structure of the trailer is mounted to the chassis, I can't imagine that being a repair that would not exceed the fair market value of your trailer.  If I am not mistaken, which I usually am, your trailer is a 2015, 179, which, according to J.D. Power has an average retail price of around $8K, assuming there are no structural issues.  Between the parts and labor, I think you'll find the cost of replacing the frame well in excess of that.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>