R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Frame replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frame replacement?
    Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 10:30am
On our last trip out west, we bent the frame when we went onto a pull-off that was extremely rutted when the ruts were not visible as we approached. We got home and we did have the frame straightened and welded. However, I don't feel comfortable with the frame since the welder could not get to both sides to weld plates on and of course, did not lift the body off to weld the top. Is it possible to lift the body off and replace the frame?  Has anyone heard of that being done? I would assume that it would be an expensive proposition, perhaps more than the value of the trailer to have done. Along with the bent frame comes a sagging floor in spite of having outriggers as they failed (metal tore along fold line). I raised it up and added more outriggers but it is still sagging and there is a noticeable difference inside where it bends down toward the wall. I am assuming this would mean the floor would need to be replaced also. 

Opinions: Would repairs cost more than the trailer is worth? I can't say it is warranty, since it did happen when we hit really rough terrain. I have not idea of what it would cost to have these repairs done. If It did go to the factory, it would be the second trip for repairs.

We went to an RV show yesterday and saw some really nice new trailers. Unfortunately, no RPods were there, but there were some NoBo models as well as other Forest River products. There were some pretty nice other than FR products there too. However, current pricing is rather steep. There was one model I liked but my wife didn't. Likewise, there was one I liked that she didn't.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 11:55am
Oh no! marital strife! Maybe if you each know what you like and dislike about each of those models, something can be worked out?

So you Rpod is 7 years old, and it sounds like there are some serious structural issues. I don't know, but surely part of the evaluation is that you may only have 3-5 more years of useful life to it? If it's at all possible, you should see if you can get some estimates for the repair and then run a comparison between a (for example) 5 more years in the Rpod, versus 10-12 more years in something newer?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 12:41pm
At this point, I am leaning toward newer and then with full disclosure, selling our 179.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 3:17pm
StephenH, since the whole structure of the trailer is mounted to the chassis, I can't imagine that being a repair that would not exceed the fair market value of your trailer.  If I am not mistaken, which I usually am, your trailer is a 2015, 179, which, according to J.D. Power has an average retail price of around $8K, assuming there are no structural issues.  Between the parts and labor, I think you'll find the cost of replacing the frame well in excess of that.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 5:46pm
Have to agree with LA. Get what you can for it and start looking at new or newer-used. There is no reason why it would't make a nice weekend camper or possible a simple basecamp for a hunter. Someone may also decide it would be perfect for additional living space like a "she-shed". 

Life's too short. Get something you and your wife would enjoy and fits your budget and TV.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 8:01pm
Agreed. We decided to do so. We went back to the RV show in Raleigh. There were no RPods there and the NoBo models were not ones we liked. We saw another Forest River Product and liked it, so we are going to make a lateral move to a Grey Wolf 24JS.

It is a 2023 model, and comes with a lot of features. It is heavier, but also has dual axles. As long as we don't load it down, we should still be okay to tow with the Frontier, but we will seriously begin looking for a half-ton pickup.

I won't miss the E/W bed. This one has ducted heat and AC, so it will hopefully be quieter. It includes the Base Camp package and from what I am reading, includes the Limited and Campfire packages too. It has a tankless water heater. It has a real oven and a 3 burner stove. It has just a microwave, not a convection microwave.

One thing it lacks and I am glad it does is a window on the front. I really did not want one. It has a real oven and a 3 burner stove. It has just a microwave, not a convection microwave.

It is still a Forest River product, so we will still be FROG members. I plan on sticking around the forum. I hope to still see many of you in person again.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 8:21pm
Pretty nice looking rig StevenH.  Yessir, you will probably NEED to upgrade to a half ton pickup.  I see it weighs over 2000 lbs. more than my 177, that is significant.  Hope you enjoy your new toy and btw am glad you will still be 'hanging out' with us smaller and lighter podders on this forum.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2023 at 9:27pm
I could not be happier for you StephenH. That is a real nice rig, excellent choice. You will really appreciate the tandem axels which are probably around 3500lb capacity each, and the peace of mind knowing you have an over-built under carriage. Make sure you follow all guidance of torquing the wheel lug nuts at the recommended intervals. This is apparently a thing with tandems. Having a bed you exit from the side is life changing! Congratulations. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 5:40am
Wow! That is a really nice trailer StephenH.  Congratulations on your decision to replace your current trailer.  You will find the bed orientation and the easier access a great deal more comfortable.  Also, the larger refrigerator and stove will also be a big plus.  I agree with jato a larger truck is really needed to tow the much heavier trailer.  We found that out when we got our Sonoma.  Though it wasn't really that much heavier than ourPod, it was enough of an increase that our Dakota was on the edge of its capacity.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 7:01am
My wife and I were discussing that. I think the Frontier will be good for local trips, but for the Rockies, we will definitely want a TV with more capacity. Even the Blue Ridge Parkway will probably be better with a higher capacity TV.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>