This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ELECTRIC ? - Event Date: 14 Jan 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: ELECTRIC ?
    Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 1:57pm
good day all.  completely a non-pod question; actually a home ?.  i have done some minor electrical stuff in my days, but by no means an engineer!! i am remodeling our master bathroom and need to move the gfi outlet.  at present, it is a two outlet as i am assuming most are.  pam would like 4 outlets,  so my question is can you wire 2 of them together and next to eachother?  hope that makes sense.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 3:44pm
Not a licensed electrician, but I think it is the same scenario as the pod-one GFIC outlet in the circuit is enough.  simply wire the second outlet in series with the existing gfic outlet and it will be protected the same.
Travel safe and often
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 4:22pm
thanks vann.  thats what I thought.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 2:44am
Yes you can. But you can't simply remove the existing single gang box unless you have access to run new Romex from wherever it's coming to that box from, or reach you new box location with the existing wire. Anywhere you make a connection you need to have an accessible junction box, you can't conceal the junction behind the drywall.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 6:41am
The 2020 IECC seems to allow some limited splicing without a junction box, provided approved connectors are used.  Here is an article that describes these connections:  https://www.jadelearning.com/blog/splicing-nm-cable-in-walls-and-other-concealed-spaces/  But, be sure to check local codes which may still prohibit these splicing systems.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 9:45am
2014 NEC code cycle and onward you can use that thing for repair work only, not new wiring, which this is. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 10:11am
It is allowed in existing buildings in limited remodeling situations.  It would be worth checking with your local building department, if code compliance is a concern.  As for the safety issue, if it is safe to use for repairs, then it is probably safe to use in the kind of remodeling you propose.  A phone call to the local building department can save you a lot of headaches.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 11:36am
I would take out the duplex box, and replace it with an "old work" quad. Then just connect an ordinary outlet on the secondary side of the GFCI.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 1:15pm
LA, once upon a time I was on one of the code review committees for the NEC, so I know how the process works.

First, understand that the NEC is a prescriptive code, meaning that it's not open to adjustment  or expansion based on logical arguments. It's not like the law, where you can make a logical argument based on interpretation of precedent, and maybe get that accepted in court. 

In this case the Code says that device can only be used for repairs. Nothing else. Just repairs.

If you want to add or change anything to the Code you have to make a submittal and wait till the next 3 year cycle for it to get reviewed. 

And the Code changed in the 2014 cycle to restrict the use of that device to just repairs. That wasn't random, something had to have gone wrong for that to happen, because there are guys on the committee representing the manufacturers who would have got that proposed change tossed out unless there was a good reason. 
Now all that being said, the AHJ does have the final word and can approve (or disapprove) what he wants. In my experience though, AHJs rarely knowingly approve something that is a Code violation. No benefit to them to take the risk. They very often miss things though...

Of course, if the work is being done without a permit, then the homeowner can choose to do what he likes (at the risk of being the defendant in a lawsuit if something goes awry later of course).  
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 2:10pm
OG, let's leave it at simply saying we disagree.  I worked extensively with many so called prescriptive codes, especially elevators, and they are all subject to interpretation of the building officials, for better or worse, and some times before a court.  Few codes are well written and most are loaded with ambiguity for inartfully chosen words.  I still think it is worth a call to the local building inspector's office to see their local position.  If they say no, then don't do it.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>