This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ELECTRIC ? - Event Date: 14 Jan 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: ELECTRIC ?
    Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 4:33am
LA, of course the NEC is not in itself legally enforceable, the NFPA which administers it is a private entity with no legal standing. Enforcement lies with the AHJ in each community where it has been adopted. That entity has the final word.That's why they call it the authority having jurisdiction.  Anyone is free to call their AHJ anytime and ask for a waiver of whatever Code provision you want. Who knows, you might get lucky. 

Where it seems we don't agree is whether or not Article 334.40(b) itself is not clear regarding the use of NM cable splice products. It is. They can be used for repair or in an exposed location for new wiring, not for new wiring when concealed inside a wall.

BTW thanks for the insult to all the hard working people from industry, safety, science, engineering, contracting, and government who work hard and mostly thanklessly to filter, write and maintain the Code. I guess we need to add attorneys to the committees because without them we couldn't possibly write a proper English sentence. OTOH if we did add lawyers we'd never get anything done because they would argue with each other incessantly.

I think we've beaten this proverbial horse to death. We don't even know if Hogone's existing Romex will reach his new box location.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 5:44am
Oh, please, OG, people have been trying to write rules for all of written human history and very few have succeeded in writing with perfect clarity.  Engineers and technical people are no more perfect than the rest of us.  Not to be religious, but they are no more infallible than the pope.  And, yes, when there is lack of clarity, it's the lawyers to whom people turn to fight over it.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 8:20am

LA, this is what you said yesterday:

"Few codes are well written and most are loaded with ambiguity for inartfully chosen words". 

Today's version:

"....very few have succeeded in writing with perfect clarity.  Engineers and technical people are no more perfect than the rest of us."

While the former is both inaccurate and insulting, the latter is certainly true, so I'll happily accept that modification  to your previous  "inartfully chosen words".

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:55am
I don't want to get in the middle of this words tangle, but...............

I was a Licensed General Contractor in NC for 35 years and owned a residential construction company.  I can ASSURE all of you that individual city/county inspectors have a LOT of latitude in interpreting the codes they are paid to enforce. I worked in multiple cities and multiple county jurisdictions and experienced firsthand differing interpretations of the same code depending on the inspector.

codes are written, but inspectors decide what is acceptable or not depending on their interpretation of what is written.

Travel often and safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 12:37pm
you guys (OG/LA) need to go out and smoke a big old doobie and relax man!!LOL  this was meant to be a friendly/simple inquiry.  now maybe thats a subject we should debate!!  jpp
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 1:53pm
We're all good Hogone, LA and I actually respect each other's opinions, we're just old and get cantankerous at times.

As for smoking a doob, the older I get the more I feel the need to keep the brain cells I have left over from having grown up in NorCal. So I don't smoke anything anymore unfortunately....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 3:31pm
Yes, OG and I are just two argumentative grumpy old men, but we don't take each other too seriously.  It's just a game of the "dozens."   

As for smoking, never have been a fan.  I did inhale a few times, but it was almost half a century ago.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 4:46pm
nazereth concerts were awesomeThumbs Up.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 5:55pm
Nazareth was pretty darn good, but the Meatloaf Bat Out of Hell Tour was what rock dreams are made of.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 1:31am
The Airplane. May 67.  Coconut Grove, Santa Cruz.  Strobes and mesc.

Surrealistic Pillow hadn't been released yet, so it was my first time hearing Grace Slick belt out White Rabbit. An experience never to be forgotten, or equalled either. 

I guess at this point though Im mostly just glad I survived that crazy time....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>