R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

AT Tires R Pod 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AT Tires R Pod 171
    Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 4:18pm
It was a 1971 Pinto. Yes, the silica coating on the cylinder walls was the issue. It was an idea to save weight of a cast iron block, but the technology was just not there for it to succeed.

The Pinto died in another accident on our honeymoon in 1975. We slid into an intersection on slick roads during a hurricane going up through PA. A tree was hanging down over the stop sign. By the time I saw the stop sign and hit the brakes, I could not stop and as we slid in, a flatbed semi shaved the front end of the Pinto off from the radiator on forward and bent the front from the windshield on forward. We did not get hurt, but we did count our blessings of not having arrived at that intersection a second earlier. If we had, I would not be typing this.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 4:34pm
I remember there was a Cosworth version of the Vega back then. They were supposed to be quite peppy. In the eighties, my dad bought a Pinto station wagon. He welded a roof rack on to it and used it for the handy man business he started after he retired. He had a perfectly good pickup, but didn't want to put miles on it.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 5:11pm
Indeed, StephenH, you and your wife were very fortunate.  Someone was watching out for you two.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 5:57pm
And let's not forget another sweet car, the AMC Gremlin.  After selling my '69 Corvette (had to so I could continue to pay my way through college debt free) I purchased a brand new 1974 Gremlin off the lot (3.8L V-6) for $ 2902 out the door, and that included taxes and license plate transfer.  Even got recognition at a church I went to near the campus of M.S.U. in East Lansing, MI for bringing the most people in one car - 10 of us!  Would most likely get a ticket for doing that today as the 3 in the back had their legs hanging out the rear window.

A scary car I remember being a passenger in during that same time was a friends Honda Civic.  Going down the expressway you could easily see the undercarriage of semi's as they whizzed by, the car sat that low.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 7:21pm
Funny you mentioned the Civic. After the accident, we used a Ford Falcon that my Dad drove down for us. In 1977, we purchased a Honda Civic CVCC wagon. It was called a wagon because it had the squared off back of a wagon, not because it was a land yacht like the ones my parents had. It was a standard (like the Pinto was), and was fun to drive. I agree it sat rather low. Then again, so did the MGB I had the opportunity to drive once and it was a convertible at that. I think I could have driven under a semitrailer, but it is something I will leave for stunt men.

Another car we have had was a Geo Metro. It was interesting with the 3 cylinder engine. It also was fun to drive, but it would not have been a good one for long trips, even though it did get really good gas mileage.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 8:36pm
Stephen, did you get the mower deck option on the Metro? Just kidding. It was a fun car to drive. I had a MG Midget when I lived in California. We joked that you wore a Midget more than you drove it. Nonetheless, for as small as it was, it had a full set of gauges. Loved that little sponge, I mean car.
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 8:59pm
I've always been a fan of smaller vehicles. While I have a pickup now, it is a mid-size Frontier. I have driven much larger vehicles, but always prefer the smaller ones. One of the biggest was the motor home my parents used to own. That thing was huge and got about 6 mpg. Any sort of cross-wind and it was really challenging to keep a straight track. 
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 3:50am
Originally posted by StephenH

Come on now. Pintos did not spontaneously explode. I had one. I even had a rear-end collision of a sort. I stopped for a red light because the signal was changing and I hit the brakes instead of trying to get through the yellow light. A Volkswagen Beetle behind me did not stop quite so quickly. His bumper hit my tailpipe. It broke the muffler hanger and I could see where the exhaust pipe hit the brake line. I think it wasn't flattened because of the pressure it was under. He had a bent bumper to show for it. I took a piece of an old tire to make a replacement muffler hanger and drove it until the exhaust system needed replacing when the muffler rusted out.
My Pinto lasted better than a classmates Chevy Vega. That thing was covered in rust spots the first winter and the aluminum engine block needed to be bored out and iron sleeves put in to stop it form burning oil.
The Pinto replaced a 63 Corvair that I drove when I first got licensed. It was not turbo and it did have the swing axl.

StephenH, you misunderstand me, and rereading my post I understand why. My bad. I disliked the Pinto because it was just a terrible car to drive, not because of the gas tank. I'm not one to avoid so-called "dangerous" vehicles as long as I know what I'm getting into so I can manage my risk. Heck I fly an experimental aircraft.

But why get in any car if it's a POS? My GF back in the mid 70s had a Pinto and it was the most gutless piece of junk I ever got behind the wheel of. She had the base model. It had no power, no power steering, no power brakes even. It would literally wheeze going down the road, like an old man with asthma. And it was a new car. It also had a horrible automatic tranny. Might have only been 2 speeds, can't recall. But it was really really bad. Nothing was right on that car. It was an embarrassment to car-dom. I hated it. Told my GF I'd rather walk. Hey but they had "more road-hugging weight". Remember that silly ad slogan?

At that time I had a Civic. First brand new car I ever owned. Loved it. Jato, if you think Civics were low, get in an MG Midget sometime, if you can fit. Now that was strap a roller skate to your butt low.

As for unsafe at any speed, I'm still not sure why Nader singled out the Corvair. That car was just GMs rather poor attempt to copy the ultra popular VW Bug. The Veedub had the same swing axle design up to around 1968 when they finally adopted the Porsche IRS. I can assure you that the swing axle VWs had similar handling quirks as the Corvair. You could still throw them around in the twisties, you just had to know the limits or it would bite you real bad. Serious racers put things called camber compensators on them to limit wheel tuck under.    But Nader didn't target that car. I suspect he knew the VW was too popular to fail, while the Corvair was vulnerable. Nader sure knew how to pick his battles.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 6:07am
I had a 1965 VW that was a piece of junk.  The no. 3 exhaust valve kept burning and I ended up needing at least 4 valve jobs.  The oil cooler was right over the valve in the cooling housing and blocked the air from that area.  Another bad thing was that it needed a full tune up with plug, points and condenser every oil change.  And since it had no oil filter the oil need changing every 3K miles.  I did get proficient at engine removal and replacement though.

Later, around 1978, I got one of those Honda CVCC orange station wagons. ....another piece of junk.  The transmission wore out at about 40K miles.  My mechanic friend who tried to fix it said the casing was so worn out that it wouldn't even hold the internal parts in place.  I got a junkyard transmission and sold the car.

I've also had very bad luck with GMC products.  Oil consumption, parts breaking off, premature failures of basic systems, and consistently uncomfortable seats for my body shape.   

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 7:06am
Yep, number 3 exhaust on VWs was notorious. Even worse in type 2s (busses) because they are run harder. The fix is to remove the OEM oil cooler and replace it with an external one that gets better cooling, and allows air to get to number 3.

Interesting but Lycoming O320 and O360 aircraft engines have the exact same issue on some aurframes, premature number 3 exhaust failure. I recently had to sort that out on my airplane, which as an 0360. Turns out the fix is even easier than on VWs, the cause is the cooling baffle setup can block airflow past the cylinder cooling fins in one spot on that cylinder. Creating a 1/8 inch gap with a spacer fixes it. It's often the little things. My number CHTs now run within 2 degrees of the other cylinders.

Was your Civic tranny manual or a slushbox? I had a 76 with the manual, never had a single issue with that car in the 150k miles I owned it.

My worst ownership experience was my 1984 Keep Cherokee. That's when AMC owned Jeep. AMC seemingly made a global search to fund the worst parts they could for it. Had Lucas hydraulics (Lucas!) and the infamous 2.8 liter GM V6. What a piece of junk that car was.

Everyone has different experiences. I found that if I actually liked driving the vehicle a lot then Id tolerate it's foibles but if I didn't it could do nothing right.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>