R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

AT Tires R Pod 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AT Tires R Pod 171
    Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 9:13am
Who ever said engineers, or anyone else, is infallible?

Didn't I just point out that you can usually tell an engineering dominated company because the products will tend to be complex and relatively expensive with lots of obscure features. Not particularly good things.

Nor did I say that lawyers and accountants don't add value. Quite the opposite.

What I said was that lawyers and accountants arent where the core value resides in a company that builds products. They aren't what makes that company great. They are there to preserve value created by others. So absolutely they have value to add but they shouldnt run the place, any more than an engineer or manufacturing manager should run a law firm. If that's not obvious I don't know what else to say.

The very best manufacturing companies understand that their core value is in design, manufacturing, or customer service, and are excellent there, but are also very very good at the other two. And they also have proper checks and balances on the legal and finance sides. And importantly the corporate leaders demonstrate due respect for all the above.

Sadly, FR seems to be almost entirely sales dominated, with seemingly little thought left over for design excellence, quality, reliability, or, based on some of their claims, perhaps for legal considerations either. Not sure where they are on the accounting and finance end of things, but I'll bet they're pretty good there or ol' Warren wouldn't have invested.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 9:33am
dam, i crashed the batcycle Embarrassed(again no lawsuitStern Smile).  now onto a real superhero......El Kabong.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 11:33am
Dang, jon, you gotta read those warning labels.  Shocked
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Nor did the engineers who came up with the explosive Ford Pinto design add much value to Ford or its customers who bought one.
Hey, don't anoint engineers with the Pinto issue. They designed the car under weight, cost and schedule constraints, and when initial testing showed a tendency toward immolation the fixes were developed, tested and priced but a famous cost-benefit analysis resulted in the Pinto going into production with the vulnerability intact.

https://philosophia.uncg.edu/phi361-matteson/module-1-why-does-business-need-ethics/case-the-ford-pinto/
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 12:58pm
Ironically, a fully restored Pinto will command $8K to $15K these days. About 3-4 times of what they cost new.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 1:21pm
The Ralph Nader model of the Corvair commands a pretty good price too.  In good shape, north of $20K.

Were they designed by bean counters or lawyers looking for roll over cases to defend?  Ermm
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 1:35pm
Some companies try to push design while some try to maximize profit and some try to do both. From my time in the motorcycle industry, mechanics loved to work on Hondas because they were easy. We hated to ride Hondas because it was like kissing your sister. The design by committee approach Honda used refined all of the character out of the bikes. On the other hand, mechanics did not like working on Yamahas because they were hard, but we loved riding them because they were exciting.

Not sure where I was going with that but there it is.
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 2:13pm
FWIW, I'd take a Corvair Corsa Turbo in a heartbeat. Great fun. But I wouldn't get in a Pinto unless my life depended on it. And even then I'd have to think about it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:13pm
Come on now. Pintos did not spontaneously explode. I had one. I even had a rear-end collision of a sort. I stopped for a red light because the signal was changing and I hit the brakes instead of trying to get through the yellow light. A Volkswagen Beetle behind me did not stop quite so quickly. His bumper hit my tailpipe. It broke the muffler hanger and I could see where the exhaust pipe hit the brake line. I think it wasn't flattened because of the pressure it was under. He had a bent bumper to show for it. I took a piece of an old tire to make a replacement muffler hanger and drove it until the exhaust system needed replacing when the muffler rusted out.

My Pinto lasted better than a classmates Chevy Vega. That thing was covered in rust spots the first winter and the aluminum engine block needed to be bored out and iron sleeves put in to stop it form burning oil.

The Pinto replaced a 63 Corvair that I drove when I first got licensed. It was not turbo and it did have the swing axle. It wasn't until after it started dancing when I pulled back in my lane after passing a car that I read Unsafe At Any Speed. Then I understood why it had done that. I also found out that it was not very good on ice from freezing rain after making a couple of 360 degree turns and ending up in a snowbank. Other than that, the 2 speed automatic was really bad. I'm glad it had the automatic though as I got hurt and could drive with my left foot since it didn't have a driveshaft tunnel.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:37pm
StephenH, what year was your Pinto?  The recalled ones for the gas tank issue were made between 1971 and 1976 with the recall of 1.5M Pintos and 30K Bobcats taking place in 1978.  

Ah, yes the Chevy Vega, one of the worst cars ever made by GM.  Didn't they experiment with some kind silica coating on the walls of the cylinders that wore off when the pistons got distorted due to excessive heat from an inadequate cooling system?
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>