R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

AT Tires R Pod 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AT Tires R Pod 171
    Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 7:41am
guess im confused by recent above comments regarding the axle/suspension?  whats wrong with it if thats what someone wants?  many are looking for something as such to access areas not allowed by an rpod.  and more realistically, i really dont think one would drive quite like that on roads/trails like that anyway.  i take it as a commercial with a little bit of exageration.  i think that dude may have eaten one to many gummies. just my thoughts.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 4:35pm
I was just making a joke about the gear getting thrown all over the trailer. Hopefully most actual RV owners know better that to do that.

I think the suspension itself could be fine, if it actually worked. But like 90 plus percent of Americans say when surveyed, I never believe anything I see in ads unless I can independently confirm it.

But then there's that gullible few percent who believe everything they see and expect to be able to do that too. Thats why you usually see those "professional driver on closed course, don't try this a home" type disclaimers. Which this ad didn't have.

And those idiots are the same ones who will tear up the parks like LA is worried about. And the ones who will sue when they do something incredibly stupid that the advertiser never imagined they needed to warn them not to do. Like, Mickey D's having to warn ppl that hot coffee is, um, hot....

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 6:01pm
I defended lots of cases in which people vied for Darwin awards.  Crashing a trailer claiming the ad led them to do it would be a law suit that would be lots of fun to defend, not to mention making a lot of money.  ...almost enough to tempt me to come out of retirement.  Big smile  Kind of like defending the Superman costume makers for failure to print a warning on the cape that you really can't fly while wearing it.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 6:42pm
hold on here...........i did the superman thing!!!!Wacko.....no further comment!!  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 7:41pm
Yikes! jon, did you file a law suit and win???  Must have been in MO.  Wink
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 8:17pm
nope, no lawsuit here; just pulled up my big boy pants and got a batman suit instead; much safer.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 3:53am
Some companies start out being run by engineering, some by manufacturing, and some by sales. You can generally tell which is which.

If it's engineering then they will have the coolest gadgets with lots of obscure features. The product will probably work well if you know what your doing but it won't be cheap. And you'll have a hard time figuring out what all the features are because they won't do a great job advertising them.

If it's manufacturing then there will only be a few options if any, the product will always be kinda behind the curve, but quality will be good and it will be cost competitive in it's market.

If it's sales then the product will never stay the same for long, it will have all the latest features, but either the quality won't be the best or it will be expensive, or both. You'll for sure know what the features are though because they will all be named and hyped up in ads.

Guess which type of company FR is? That suspension ad is a perfect example. Beast mode? And we all know about rpod "quality", right?

One of those ways tends to be how companies become successful. But then eventually they get big and want to hang onto all those hard earned dollars.

At that point they might get taken over by the accountants or the lawyers. Those are the folks who come to the planning meetings and say "no" to the engineering, manufacturing, and/or sales folks.

If that happens the company will stop making the cool gadgets, the best value products, or the latest new thing, whichever one made it successful in the first place. Instead it will focus on making as many beans as possible on each widget or on avoiding lawsuits, or both. At that point the end is usually near...

And please before any lawyers or accountants here take offense, I'm not saying they're not needed, just that they shouldn't run the place.

So actually I'm kinda glad to see that silly ad, shows that at FR sales still runs the show and the lawyers and accountants haven't taken over yet...

Not that I'd ever buy an another FR product though. I've gone for stodgy quality this time round with my old Chinook. Man that thing is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Just trying to cut a hole in it to put in a window a/c is taking hours and a sawsall. In my rpod I coulda done it in a couple of minutes with some tin snips.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 5:53am
In my experience lawyers are a lot like the guys with the brooms and shovels who follow the circus parade, except they get the blame for the mess they're hired to clean up.  They usually don't make the decisions that make the problem, but when the problem happens and they have to clean up the mess someone else makes, they get the blame because they're visible and in the middle of the fight.  In most companies, their job is to warn of dangers, but it's up to others to make the decisions whether to take the advice.  I'm sure it wasn't up to the lawyers to decide the cost benefit analysis of the engineering failure of the explosive Ford Pinto, for example.  ...It was probably accountants.  

Product development is like making sausage.  If you examined it in detail it would make you feel really queasy.  Everyone makes mistakes, passes the buck, and tries to claim credit for what others did. ... then they hire lawyers to clean up the legal messes they got themselves into.  ...And there are plenty of lawyers who make the messes even worse.  A world run by engineers, manufacturing process people, sales people, accountants and lawyers, would be pretty ugly place.  Come to think of it.............
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 8:03am
No argument that lawyers and accountants (both of whom are there to clean up messes or to keep them from occurring) often get blamed for others mistakes.

But here's the thing. Unless the business is a law or accounting firm the value it adds for the customer isn't created by the lawyers or accountants, so they shouldn't have to much decision making power.

In a company that makes stuff the value is created by the engineers who design the stuff, the manufacturing people who make it, and/or the sales and marketing folks who figure out what the customers need and how to explain it to them.

The role of the lawyers and accountants is to not squander that value by avoiding stupid mistakes. That's all good and very necessary.

What I've seen happen though, is that after a company gets older, larger, and more profitable those "value preservation" folks tend to often become too powerful and as a result the company can lose sight of what made it great to begin with.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2023 at 8:29am
Nor did the engineers who came up with the explosive Ford Pinto design add much value to Ford or its customers who bought one.

Engineers are not infallible and are not gawds any more than are lawyers, bean counters, sales people or the folks who clean the factory floor.  Everyone should, but sadly doesn't, try to add value through his or her work.  But no one, in the grand scheme of things, is really any better or worse than anyone else.  Value is an utterly subjective concept that can be interpreted anyway you like.  We all like to believe we add it in our work, but none of us is truly objective about the worth of what we do. 

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>