R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

AT Tires R Pod 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AT Tires R Pod 171
    Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 9:18pm
Lost Again, the biggest advantage for me switching to LT tires was availability and choices in the particular size the Pod uses. Here in Albuquerque, there are two large tire shops that service most of the RV dealerships and all of them recommended going the LT route rather than ST. Airstream has been using highway tread LT tires on their trailer for several years now. Forest River now uses LT tires on the Wolf Pup series.

One thing both shops refused to do was to put a high pressure valve stem on the Pod wheels. LT tires can go to 80psi, however Rpod wheels are not rated for that high pressure. Your usual rubber valve stem is only rated at 65psi and that is what they installed when I had the tires mounted and balanced. I would be cautious about putting anything above 65psi in LT tires on Rpod rims.

gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 6:02am
LA, I agree with you. I think the aggressive tread pattern is essentially for marketing purposes. If you like the looks of the LT tread then fine, just know they will reduce your fuel economy slightly.

Linda&Gino, you raise a good point re the Rpod wheels. Wheels have load ratings too, just like tires. It turned out the original 14 inch wheels on my 2015 179 were only rated for 1750 lbs, like the tires. When I upgraded I bought pre mounted 15 inch tires and wheels with IIRC around a 2400 lb rating. My 179 was loaded pretty heavy so I had no rough ride issues.

I bought the wheels and tires online and mounted them myself, no big deal. What I saved on mounting costs and selling the existing tires and wheels on CL paid for the upgraded wheels. Few folks want to buy used tires because it's not really worth mounting them but mounted on wheels there seemed to be a ready market.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 9:00pm
Nearly 2 years ago I purchased my third set of tires for a 177.  First time going to a "D" rated tire and it has made a big difference on tracking in high wind conditions.  Purchased Carlisle Radial HD ST 205/75/14 - a great tire IMHO.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 5:56am
We run the same brand and weight rating tire as Jato, replacing Westlake junk (also D weight range).  We've had them for a couple years and they're performing very well.  The trailer tracks well in cross-winds and on wet pavement, the pressure (unlike the Westlakes) is maintained while traveling, and the tread wear is even and minimal.  

Flexible sidewalls worry me for a trailer because, as I understand it, they can amplify trailer sway, not to mention increase rolling resistance from tread squirm.  Certainly the flexibility, as Jim Poston points out, can soften the ride, but that seems to be a two edge sword that can be easily solved by selecting the appropriate weight range.  We went from nice squishy load range C to D on our 172 and the improvement in stability and mileage was markedly better.  Nevertheless, those AT tires sure look cool.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 10:38am
We were traveling over the coastal mountains from Eureka to Red Bluff in early May and ran into some heavy, slushy snow. I have AT tires on my 2WD tow vehicle and was sure glad to in that situation. The Rpod, with the Wild peak AT3 tires pulled nicely behind with no sway or sliding on the twisty road.  I am by no means a tire expert, but I can't help but think that if I had highway tread the Rpod, I would have experienced much more sway and sliding in those conditions.

Ditto on the Westlakes not holding tire pressure. They would routinely lose 5psi over a month or so. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 10:50am
New type of axle!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgRdX8G4A84
A Curt Suspension, little over kill but might solve problems and issues, or cause more?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 6:35pm
Based on that ad, I'd  say  more problems for sure. I just imagine all the owners trying to drive like that themselves and finding all the gear in  their cabinets  on the floor when they get to their campsites.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 7:06pm
Similar in concept to the axle and suspension on Black Series trailers. Now you have swing arm bearings, shocks, probably some preload settings. No thanks.
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2023 at 7:48pm
OTOH, it would be tough enough to take that trip to Alaska with the rough roads I have read about. I'd be leery of that front window on the NoBo though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 6:52am
+1 to OG.  Not only will their stuff be all over the trailer floor, but encouraging that kind of driving in delicate ecosystems will cause irreparable damage to the fragile forest and desert lands.  The ruts, holes, and erosion on the dirt roads will only get worse and the places we wish to visit for peace and quiet and connecting with nature will be badly damaged.  And who will end up paying for the remediation?  We will, either in higher camping fees or areas closed off due to damage.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>