R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2016 R-179 Slide Totally Dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DHabibi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2016 R-179 Slide Totally Dead
    Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 12:32pm
My slide is totally dead just happened the other day. Batteries are full and fine and even when plugged in the slide does not make any sound or movement. All fuses good and there is power going to the wall switch. From what I know the controller is under the seat which is now covered by the slide and not accessible. Very smart design, is there any way to reset the controller to get the slide to come to life, again was working fine till the other day, brought it in, drove an hour and tried to open slide and it was dead. I am an engineer and very handy, if there is any way of manually getting the slide to go out so I can access the controller and motor area would be nice. Thanks for any suggestions, power is all good, need to get access the controller which I believe is in the covered area. Nothing under the refrigerator in this model, just two electrical wires, the controller is not there as far as I can see.

More info:

Well I do believe that the controller is in the ottoman, with the slide all the way in you can not get to the hatch, the motors are accessible but the screw to loosen them from the outside not accessible with the slide all the way in. Great design, somebody was not using their brain. Couple of options, I have made harnesses to connect to the motors directly and can try to power them to put the slide out assuming they are OK then I can access the hatch and see what the controller says. Have disconnected batteries from the RV and taken all power away for a min or so and have not had any luck.

Slide has been working fine, only thing I did different when I put the slide in and was towing the RV was that I ran the refrig on battery power, when I got to the camping spot 2 hours away the slide would not work, batteries still fully charged (have 400W solar system and RV was connected to car).

Called factory and they have not been much help, a technical person was supposed to get back to me, meanwhile ordered the outriggers to fix sag which the slide is developing. Will also support the kitchen floor soon, sag there will show up soon too. Somebody also lost my screen slide door and been trying to find one and it is only 10" tall which is not standard so have not had any luck, waiting on factory on this too. Not been my week.

Other options is to cut and access hole into the ottoman problem is I don't know how things are installed inside there and don't want to damage any equipment trying to get in there, will run a scope into the area and look at things, regardless this issue has become huge headache.

Any help appreciated, as I said huge headache which could have been avoided by having the controller installed in a proper location.

Don
Don Habibi
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 2:00pm
The controller is behind the flap under the refrigerator. Remove that flap and you will see it. I don't know what went wrong. Check your fuses before tearing things apart. You may simply have blown a fuse.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DHabibi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DHabibi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 3:13pm
Have looked behind that wood under the refrigerator and controller was not there, just scoped under the ottoman and the controller is there and is even installed upside down so I can not see the codes, the hatch is totally covered by the slide and the wires going to the motors are too thin to splice into, was going to tap into them and run the motors but now will order two harnesses so I can connect to the motors and hopefully push the slide out and not damage the wiring.  The motor wires way too thin, I think they might get cut if I try to splice into them.  Saga continues.  Hate to cut into the ottoman but than would be my last resort to make a access port and then make a door there, will not be pretty but slide not working like this is a very big deal.  Any other ideas let me know.  the motors have brakes in them so don't know about pushing the slide out but then it would also have to be pushed back in if things don't go well.  Screw for loosening the motors is covered by the edge of the slide and is not accessible right now since slide is all the way in. 

Don

Don Habibi
DHabibi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DHabibi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 3:15pm
Other option is to cut thru the seat area and then into the top hatch and go in from the top but again it will not be pretty and will need to be fixed later with some sort of hatch.  All pain in the behind.
Don Habibi
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 4:02pm
Okay, this falls under the "let no two RPods be built the same" rule. 

Is it mounted against the wall below the slide-out? When you say you "scoped" it, do you have a fiber optic scope that you used? If so, could you not see the codes using that?

I recommend NOT cutting through the seat area. That is the floor of the slide-out and will make a pretty big hole to weatherproof if you cut through that. The ottoman is basically fabric on the sides. It would be easier to reupholster them.

I went out and looked at mine. Here are the fault codes:

Green LED
1 blink - Motor 1
2 blinks - Motor 2

Red LED
Blinks Fault
2 Battery Dropout
3 Low Battery
4 High Battery
5 Excessive Motor Current
6 Motor Short Circuit
8 Wire Short Between Controller and Motor
9 Hall PWR Short to GND

How to manually override

1. Press button 6 times and hold on the 7th press until the lights start to flash
2. Use the normal slide control switch located inside coach to retract room

In your case, you are trying to extend, not retract. The button is in the rectangular cut-out on the front with the LEDs.
Here is a picture of mine.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 8:07pm
I found this a good resource and has some good maintenance tips which may be helpful to you.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxEYSstvICI  Hope this helps you resolve your problem.
Jay

179/2019
DHabibi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DHabibi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 11:09pm
Thanks yes I used a fiber scope like for car engines and put thru the hole in the back of the ottoman on both sides and looks like the controller is there and it is upside down so the button and codes and LEDs are facing the floor of the RV.  Again who built this.

Was going to patch into the wires for the motors but the wires are so thin I was afraid the tap might damage them and then I have other issues so I order to set of 5' pigtails today so I can power the two motors at the same time manually via connecting the pigtails and then connecting other end to a battery.  RV is leaving tomorrow and coming back on Sunday, wires will be here next week so either that works or I am going to cut thru the side of the ottoman and will then make a hatch there, yes realized today that can not come thru the top since that is the floor of the slide. 

Bought the RV since I have had other RVs from this manufacturer and did not have any issues but R Pods seem to have lots of issues, have addressed most but dealing with the sagging floor issues soon.  Ordered the outriggers from factory and for the kitchen area going to put up two supports and just use a pressure threaded wood there to support things.  I also have metal around and might be able to make a metal support, tried to buy one of the support which the tanks hang off of and factory would not sell it to me.  Thanks for the replies and again yes with the optical scope I see the wires going into the controller but all I see is the back side of the controller.  Hope this helps other people, if your controller is in the ottoman move it or make access to it since the situation I am in is very stupid and frustrating.

Don
Don Habibi
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 7:38am
Dumb question but just in case, did you try disconnecting power to the slide to reset it? Worked for me once or twice when it seemed to be locked up.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DHabibi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DHabibi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 10:59am
Yes I disconnected the battery twice and left it off for a while, a minute or less, wondering if I should have left it off longer I will do that when the RV is back on Sunday.  Have motor harnesses coming Wednesday and last resort is to cut into the ottoman.  Really somebody was not using their brain designing this.  Slide has already ripped the fabric on the ottoman too so starting to sag, waiting on the outriggers, mine actually has 4 connectors under the floor but they are like 2 inches long, no real support.  Thanks for the advice I will post again after all is done.  
Don Habibi
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 11:46am
The other thing you could try is to press the slide all the way in or out, depending on where it has stopped and if it's close to one end of the other of it's travel. It could be the limit switches are now misaligned because of the sag, which might be keeping it from travelling all the way in or out. By pressing on it you might get one of the limit switches to reengage.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>