Topic ClosedA Christmas Story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Christmas Story
    Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 9:28am
I was driving home from a VA appointment in Gainesville, FL Tuesday morning. I was listening to channel 38LSB to 3 or 4 men talking over their cups of coffee. You know the type of conversation, teasing about things and just having a good time.

The subject got around to Christmas. This one guy that turned out to be from Kentucky originally, was telling about a Christmas long ago when he was a little kid. From his voice and some of the things he was saying I guess his age would be in the lower 70's.

It seems that this one year, three days before Christmas there was a knock on their door. His mother and all 6 kids went to the door. Their father was out working in the woods making .75 cents an hour using a 2 man hand saw cutting down trees. Back to the door now. It was a man from the "light company" saying she needed to pay her bill or he was to "turn off the lights". She asked how much was owed and he replied $6.00. Her reply was that she didn't have that kind of money. He then said, "okay I'll come back after the first of the year, but if you don't have the money I'll have to shut off the lights."

On Christmas eve there was a knock on the door, it was that same man from the "light company". He had a bunch of toys all wrapped up and a big bag of candy! He gave that stuff to her then handed her an envelope with money in it for her "light bill".

He said that was the best Christmas he ever had as a child. He also said he would take that memory to the grave with him.

I thought about that all the way home. I just had to share that with you guys! That is what Christmas is all about I think. That man went out of his was to help someone without asking and he made a typical poor Christmas (for the 6 kids) into an ever lasting memory.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Brewsterivy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:14am
That is a beautiful story. How special for all of them..including the generous man.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Carol
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 4:09pm
I guess there are still a few good people in the world.  I wish there were more like him.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 6:51am
I posted this story on a CB forum also.  This morning I had an email from one of the forum members telling me that the mans name is George and he is a 23 year retired Navy man.  They call them selves "The Coffee Club" and are on the radio every morning.  They are about 30 miles from me.  I guess I'll have to jump in there one of these mornings and say hi to George!

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 12:02pm
Nice, nice story. Thanks for sharing it.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 9:00pm
+1
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply