EscaPOD Adventures - 2022 edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EscaPOD Adventures - 2022 edition
    Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 12:19pm
Time for an update. I have completed welding, and then installing the two new heavy-duty outriggers. These won't break like the factory supplied ones did. The frame bend will have to wait until we get back home to address. I am thinking about adding a plate to each side of the frame and through-bolting it to strengthen the frame in that area. I don't know how difficult it would be to straighten the frame first.  I just looked again. There is a very slight bend on the door side and a more visible bend on the slide side to deal with once we get back.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 6:15pm
It is a 2010 Frontier. It is not something I would have expected, especially since I have it in for service regularly. Hopefully, your 2016 RPod is many years away from such issues. We have over 163,000 on ours. With the age and mileage, I wold be surprised if nothing went wrong. As it is, with a new rear end, we should be set for many, many more miles. That being said, I would like to trade for something with more power. I really notice the lack of power when we are towing above 6,000 feet. A turbocharger or supercharger would make a big difference, but those are not available.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 5:23pm
I keep my speed between 60-70mph as well. Not sure what y everyone's hurry is out there. I think there is a competition to see what one-ton truck can pull its fifth wheel the fastest. I keep a bottle jack in the Pod as well as a jack-stand just in case. Hope you have safe travels home.

What year is your Frontier? The rear end going out is concerning. 
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 4:04pm
Same here. I have the new outriggers cut, bent, and waiting for the 30A to 15A adapter to arrive tomorrow so I can weld them. I did have a minor issue. The T section of my Frontier's jack handle broke off when I was raising the side of the RPod. The welded area just snapped. I have a new one on order from Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 3:13pm
Glad to hear you made it safely through the tire failure.  Hope you make it home without more issues.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 3:09pm
I'm glad I keep my speed at 60 mph or lower (with rare exceptions on steep downhill runs). I would not have liked to handle that at 70 or 75 mph. Even with the blown tire, the RPod tracked well. I don't know if the Hayes electronic sway control activated. That may have helped also.

Here's a picture of the tire:

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 1:39pm
Wow, Stephen. That sounds like a crazy adventure. So glad you are okay, there were a few things that could have really gone south and been worse.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 11:23am
I do not have a TPMS system for the trailer. I don't think it was excessively hot since we were still at a significant altitude (which would have increased the pressure differential between inside and outside the tire but I don't know if it would have been that significant). I had noticed that that tire had wear on the inside edge and would have probably replaced it when we got to our daughter's house if it had not blown. I probably should have switched it out with the spare which was in new condition with no road miles. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20. As far as I know, I don't recall any road hazards. that does not mean that there was not something that contributed to the failure that I did not see.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 5:39am
Stephen, I'm curious about the tire blow out. Was it excessively hot at the time of the tire blow out or do you attribute it to a specific road hazard or possibly tire age? Were you employing a TMPS? Glad you are ok. ~PP 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 3:43am
That welder sounds like a good deal, I think I'll check out our Harbor Freight here for one.

I agree your frame will probably be fine till you get home. Just a suggestion, you might want to relocate as much weight as possible from the kitchen storage (and maybe the spare) to forward of the axle or to the truck bed. Just in case you hit another bad set of pot holes.

Other than that the worst case scenario will probably be uneven tire wear if the axle has been decambered. With the reinforcement you have on it I'd be surprised if it's significant, I'd expect the frame to bend and outriggers to fail before the axle.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>