R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Visiting Family with my RV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visiting Family with my RV
    Posted: 05 May 2022 at 6:22am
Life is messy! Happy Cinco de Mayo and National Day of Prayer everybody!
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 5:55am
It isn't the receptacle that is the issue, it's the bag being punctured by other stuff and the exposure of folks who collect and handle the trash.  They get a daily dose enough from disposable diapers with full loads too.  I'm glad I don't drive one of those D-10 cats pushing the garbage around with the wind swirling the debris around them.  I hope they have very good filtration respirators.  Don't step in it.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 6:58pm
It's not 8 gallons full, only use it once and discard. The 8 gal bags fit nicely into the 5 gal bucket. With a toilet seat from Walmart. Double bagging insures it is sealed up, then into a suitable receptacle. Not for the faint hearted. Necessity is the mother of motivation! No footprints left behind!

Pooping 101 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gj3ocdO4Qk
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 5:16pm
Richard, how do you take care of ensuring that your 8 gallon bags of stuff are dumped into some kind of a sanitary sewer system?  I think I'd rather dump a porta potty like I had on my first sail boat, since it is pretty easy to pour the contents of the small holding tank into a toilet.  I hope you're not throwing the bags into the trash.  That could present some real hazards for folks who collect the garbage and work at the transfer station and dump.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
richardd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 4:05pm
I bought my 171 R-pod new in 2016. I live in it now. I have never used the black tank. Wouldn't want to have to dump it, smell it, think about it, or clean it. I use a 5 gal bucket with with 8 gal bags, doubled. Only when essential. Leaned that from Bob Wells' videos about keeping it simple. Perfect solution. Mostly, I know where the nice public bathrooms are. But if you're not a single person, this might not work for you! Works for me!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 6:12am
Originally posted by lostagain

Building codes and health regulations vary considerably from state to state, urban vs. rural vs. suburban, regarding how and whether gray water may be used for non-consumption purposes such as irrigation.  It is an issue that really needs further research to assess the safety concerns.  Part of the problem is that gray water contains organic materials, such as bits of food waste, but also a toxic brew of household chemicals.  My personal view is that household gray water that contains only organic and bio-degradable, non-fecal, materials, will ultimately be used as reclaimed water for landscape irrigation, especially in a sub-surface distribution system.  It is probably no more hazardous than water put into a septic leach field, probably less.  Like non-fossil fuel energy sources, it is a developing story.

Most jurisdictions don't distinguish gray and black water because if you leave gray water in a tank for even a short time it undergoes anaerobic decomposition, becoming blackwater. Approved graywater systems discharge the gray water immediately into the root zone of intentionally designed planting areas so that it stays aerobic. There was lots of work done a couple of decades ago in this area before people realized that a standard septic leach field works about as well environmentally for a residence application, and is much easier and more foolproof.

So if you do have approval from the owner to do graywater discharge then is best to just let it run out into the vegetation rather than store it in the tank for awhile first. Leave your gray tank valve open, use a long hose running downhill, and move the hose around every day or so. Avoid chemical use and cleaning of fecal matter in the sinks. That's what I have them do when I have relatives staying in RVs here on my little farm.

For blackwater I have a blueboy and let them borrow my riding mover to tow it over to a sewer line to my septic tank. They get to do that job all by themselves.

As for this and renewables being developing stories, that is true if by development you mean developers, not r&d engineering. All this stuff is well understood and mature technically so it's a matter of developers and financiers putting in projects at this point.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by jato

After reading all the 'rules' and 'laws' concerning dumping gray water it makes me appreciate the fact that I live in a rural area in northern Michigan.  Lots of orchards, golf courses and lakes.  No problem dumping or using gray water in orchards, using to irrigate large expanses of turf, or plain dumping it on my 20 acres.

Amen!  This is all a little overstated.  Toxic?  To what/whom?  Nonetheless, It's best not to put grey water into a storm drain.  As many have said, local regulations may prohibit that.  Water the grass?  Probably fine outside urban areas.

Now, the real point.  At a disaster, a shower and washing breakfast dishes uses about 3 gallons of water a day, trying to conserve a little.  Other meals are provided for me.  That will give you about 10 days of storage (you'll know the grey tank is full when the shower backs up).  You will want about half of that grey water to finish flushing the system when you dump the black tank. 

BTW, when you dump the black tank, use the black tank flush liberally (minutes) to get the stickies out.  They will build up and cause odor if you don't. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 3:03pm
After reading all the 'rules' and 'laws' concerning dumping gray water it makes me appreciate the fact that I live in a rural area in northern Michigan.  Lots of orchards, golf courses and lakes.  No problem dumping or using gray water in orchards, using to irrigate large expanses of turf, or plain dumping it on my 20 acres.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:11pm
The setting can have a lot to do with it.  On a 48,000 acre ranch in Montana dumping grey water is probably more acceptable than doing the same thing in Upper Montclair, NJ.  Pretty much regardless, it's inadvisable without the property owner's informed consent.  The caveat being that without a couple of college level courses and analysis of the grey water in question, informed consent isn't likely.  Just haul your waste away with you with when you leave and stop at a dump station on your way home.  Not that complicated.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 9:26am
Building codes and health regulations vary considerably from state to state, urban vs. rural vs. suburban, regarding how and whether gray water may be used for non-consumption purposes such as irrigation.  It is an issue that really needs further research to assess the safety concerns.  Part of the problem is that gray water contains organic materials, such as bits of food waste, but also a toxic brew of household chemicals.  My personal view is that household gray water that contains only organic and bio-degradable, non-fecal, materials, will ultimately be used as reclaimed water for landscape irrigation, especially in a sub-surface distribution system.  It is probably no more hazardous than water put into a septic leach field, probably less.  Like non-fossil fuel energy sources, it is a developing story.

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>