Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnother new guy...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another new guy...
    Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 12:18pm

I’d been tent camping with some friends and saw a 176T pod at the campgrounds and that got me thinking...<always dangerous>.  I liked the small size, and knew that since it had an AC I could get the wife to go camping with me <momma don’t like to sweat>.  I started researching pods online and found that the closest dealer was in Conroe TX.  Sometime latter while on our way to LA we stopped in and looked at the different models.

The main thing I didn’t like was the narrow path in the middle of the trailer so I wanted a slide out for the extra room.  I kept looking at the 175, I liked the couch and the fact that it had a slightly larger kitchen area.  Momma wanted the 177, she liked the dinette area, we both liked the permanent bed.

So...

My wife called the guys at Couch’s RV Nation and bought the 177...then she told me I needed to go pick it up Tongue.  They will be keeping it for us over the winter and we will drive up to yankee land and pick it up in the spring.  Figure we’ll be camping a bit with it on the way back home since it’ll be a little over a 1000 miles.

I'll be towing with a Dodge Dakota 3.7 V6 4x4 (210 HP) so I don’t anticipated any problems towing.

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 12:43pm
Congrats and WELCOME to the forum!  I have the same engine in my 4X4 Liberty so I know you won't have any problem towing.  You gas mileage will drop pretty much but...oh well!  If you have over drive you will want to shut that off because your tranny will shift in and out of OD.  Bad idea.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 12:51pm
Your post made me giggle.  You stated all the exact reasons we bought the 177.  And this "mama" does not like to sweat either.  I told my husband I don't care how small we go on a camper, I just want a bathroom and an air conditioner.
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 4:07pm
Welcome to the group!  I hope you enjoy and use your Pod often.  Some of us guys don't like to sweat either....a bathroom an A/C are two of the reasons I got out of a pop-up.  When it get's hot, an afternoon nap in air conditioning is just fine. Smile
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 4:35pm
Welcome, and I hope you like your 177 as much as we like our 175. They're pretty nice little trailers. They have plenty of room for many of us, and lots of nice features.

Sorry to give you a different perspective from TerryM on towing with the 3.7 engine. If you're pretty much a flatlander your Dakota will probably do well, but in hilly country, not so well. Do a search on my posts and read the one under "mileage" to get my perspective. My Dakota just didn't fit well with how and where we tow. Hopefully your needs will be different.  

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 6:38pm
I do pretty good in the mountains also.  But, I got rid of my factory 3:73 gears and went with 4:11's.  More power at the expense of mileage for off road use.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 7:17pm
The 3:92  rear end didn't help much, and the Dakota probably weighs more than your Jeep. Also, does the Jeep come with a 5  speed auto, or is it equiped with a four speed like the v/6 Dakotas? That would make a world of difference.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 10:20pm
Welcome!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Caverkim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 10:43pm
Congrats and welcome!  The boards are full of helpful advice, they sure helped us!  
caver*pod 175/Louisville KY
Folornhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 1:03pm
Well..I figured the four wheel drive would help in hills and such (if need be), as for gas milage.  Well...we all know how that goes.

Dodge lists the max towing capacity at 6850 lbs.  standard at 2000 lbs.  So I didn't really expect to have any problems towing with it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>