This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

So Far No Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So Far No Issues
    Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 3:47pm
I dewinterized, and I don't see any leaks or problems. This is the first year I only blew the lines out, no antifreeze in the lines. I was nervous cause we had some good 15 - 20 below zero days. I used a little pink stuff in the sinks, shower, toilet, but from what I'm told, I don't have P traps. I guess the newer models have a different system called a Hepvo. I guess it doesn't need anti freeze, but a put a bit in. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 6:16pm
The Hepvo system looks like a good thing. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 9:01pm
Good for you mjlrpod!  Except for the first year of owning our 177 the past 10 years we have used the same method, compressed air and then using a total of 16 oz. RV antifreeze for the 2 sink and 1 shower trap and then a small amount for the top of the toilet to keep the seal moist.  In northern Michigan temperatures also hit well below 0.  The good news is no leaks ever.  And the beauty of blowing out is once the HW tank is drained and the 3 valves are set to bypass it takes less than 2 minutes to blow all the lines out twice using air at 85 psi.  Works for us.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 5:46am
We have also used the blow out method and it has worked well with one exception; the toilet valve had some residual water in it that froze and cracked it, making an unpleasant surprise on the first trip of that season.  I replaced the valve with a more durable one made by a third party company that claims it resists freezing better than the Dometic valve.  I also make it a practice to disconnect the water line to the toilet valve when I blow out the system and separately blow some air through the toilet valve while holding it open.  All you need is a towel to soak up the little bit of water that spills out onto the floor.

Those Hepvo traps look like a really good idea and should give a little more space under the sinks.  For myself, I'm too lazy to bother with a retrofit unless the price of the pink antifreeze goes way up.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 6:08am
Originally posted by lostagain

Those Hepvo traps look like a really good idea and should give a little more space under the sinks.  For myself, I'm too lazy to bother with a retrofit unless the price of the pink antifreeze goes way up.  

Indeed, the last gallon on RV antifreeze lasted 8 years (I use 16 oz. each year for the traps/toilet) and the cost was 99 cents.  Am currently on year 3 of my second gallon, purchased 2020 and noted that the price skyrocketed all the way up to $ 2.99/gallon.LOL
God's pod
'11 model 177
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 7:11am
A 3 pack of Hepvo drain traps costs $157 on Amazon; one for the each sink and one for the shower.  To make it cost effective, I'd have to have the trailer over 40 years just to pay for the Hepvo drains, not to mention the other plumbing parts to make it fit and my incredibly valuable labor.  With all due respect to Forest River, I don't think my trailer will be around that long.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by lostagain

A 3 pack of Hepvo drain traps costs $157 on Amazon; one for the each sink and one for the shower.  To make it cost effective, I'd have to have the trailer over 40 years just to pay for the Hepvo drains, not to mention the other plumbing parts to make it fit and my incredibly valuable labor.  With all due respect to Forest River, I don't think my trailer will be around that long.

Let's be reasonable here and do the math:

Hepvo traps   $157
misc. plumbing parts $50
LA's labor      $200/hour taking his time to change out all three with assigned coffee breaks  $600
Total  $ 807.00

Hmmm.  I guess you are correct again Lostagain!

God's pod
'11 model 177
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 2:12pm
Jato, Jato, Jato, what's with the $200 per hour?  I charged that back in 2000 before I got out of the litigation business and decided to do something honest for a living.  Now that I'm retired, my hourly rate is priceless, coffee breaks being extra.  Big smile
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 7:10pm
OK, I stand correctedLOL.  Regardless of your new 'rate' the jeorpardy final answer will not change.  Indeed, I don't think your trailer will be around that long either, I know for fact - I won't last that long or be around either!
God's pod
'11 model 177
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by jato

And the beauty of blowing out is once the HW tank is drained and the 3 valves are set to bypass it takes less than 2 minutes to blow all the lines out twice using air at 85 psi.  Works for us.

85 p.s.i.?? Shnickies, I thought 50 p.s.i. was about the max you want to put into the plumbing. I only used about 40 p.s.i. to blow out mine.  Should I bump up the pressure?  Thanks 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>