R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Refrigerator question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ArenaBlanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator question
    Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 9:02am
I really like this forum. I appreciate all the input. We are planning on trying to take the 195 to Alaska this summer and are probably going to try driving (if we can keep the fuel costs under $5,000 US).

I'm looking ahead to going back to Newfoundland again and know there is a potential 12-16 hour ferry ride.  And Daddy always told me, "prior planning prevents poor performance" so I plan way out in the future.  I also think Forest River made a poor design decision when they took the 3 way refrigerator out of the R-Pod.

Thanks again for the input. 
Enjoy Life!!
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 9:20am
ArenaBlanca, the third option, the battery, would not really work.  Your batteries would be dead in a very short time.  

When we bought our Lifetime ice chest, it was when had our rPod 172 with it's tiny 3-way refrigerator.  We were pleasantly surprised at how cold the stuff we stashed in the ice chest stayed, even when we camped in the AZ desert.  The key was to keep it in the shade and open it very rarely.  We've also had some cross country trips with our larger trailer and fridge and ran out of gas on one occasion without realizing it.  The fridge had nothing to power it for many hours before I realized what had happened.  The refrigerator stayed plenty cold.  If you plan ahead and freeze some milk cartons filled with water, and put them in the fridge (below and in the freezer) you'll have no problems for the ferryboat time you anticipate.  The more you can fill all the empty space in the fridge and freezer with ice in milk cartons, the better.  Ice keeps stuff cold while air space quickly warms up.  Ice is kind the opposite of thermal mass and is slow to warm up.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 9:32am
+1 on the 3 way and battery operation. We had two 6V GC batteries and in less than 12 hours, the refrigerator was beeping. 12V operation is pure resistance heat and will chew through the battery/batteries in short order. Ice, regular or dry, in the refrigerator or in a good ice chest is your best option.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 4:17pm
We have used an Engel cooler for years. We freeze gallon milk jugs and put one at each end.  the key for us is the insulated wrap that we amde.
We bought Reflectix at Lowe's and built a cover. We spent about $45. We taped the edges with special Rflectix tape. We ahve used this for over 3 seasons and it's still intact after a few repairs with more tape. It will keep ice for 4-5 days easily when exposed too direct un.

safe travels
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12