This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOur new-used R-Pod!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our new-used R-Pod!
    Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 11:06am
My girlfriend and I purchased a used 2009 R-Pod 152 in September.  We live in Connecticut and drove all the way to Wisconsin to get a 152 because its the only R-Pod I can tow with my 3.0L Outback Wagon (and I wasn't really too sure how well that would work out either).  We really wanted a floorplan that could sleep 4 that I could also tow legally.  We drove 2 days straight to the dealer in NW WI (Dick's RV).  They installed a brake controller and wiring in my car during our walkthrough of the trailer and had us on the road in 3hrs flat.  We then camped our way back to CT across upper peninsula Michigan, through Ontario (including a stop to visit family for a break), then across New York state and home.  We spent a total of 10 nights in our Pod on its maiden voyage.  We took it out again to Vermont the following weekend.  And the weekend after that we went to Provincetown on Cape Cod. 

Overall, we're very happy with our adventure and plan on making lots of short trips around New York and New England with it next year.  We had a few problems too though - the TV/DVD died a few days into the trip and the windows ALL leaked badly when we drove through the rain.  We arrived at a campground in the middle of northern Ontario after driving through the rain all day to find the inside of the Pod soaked!  I think we solved the window problems - I sealed the side windows with silicone and had the rear window replaced (Forest River sent a free replacement window when we complained though I had to pay a local R-Pod dealer to install it, no big deal).  Towing made me a little nervous at first but I'm comfortable with it now and am pretty sure the car can handle the Pod (my tow capacity is 3000lbs and our total weight with Pod/Car loaded should be ~2500lbs I guess).  We were a little shocked by how bad the gas mileage turned out to be (~12MPG!!) but after talking with other people I know about towing they all said they get the same mileage towing similar weights with similar engines (6 cylinder, 250HP).  I just had the Pod winterized and put in storage for the winter and we're already planning our trips next summer :)

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 12:50pm
Welcome!  Sorry to hear about the leaks but sounds lik it all got fixxed up.  Any questions feel free to ask!
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 1:04pm
Welcome to the family!  You forgot to mention the 3rd. member of the family...the one with white curly hair!LOL

Terry 
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 5:02pm

Welcome!  We bought our r-pod and it went directly in winter storage.  Will be interesting to see if we have any problems when we bring it out this coming spring.  We can hardly wait to start camping. 

Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 6:03pm
Oh that's Chai the Pod Poodle. She really dug the whole camping thng but was getting bored of the car ride after the 5th or 6th day on the road ;)
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 5:03am
Welcome to the group!  Sorry to hear about the leak problems.  It is good that FR was willing to work with you on the situation.  Unfortunately, yes, 12mpg seems to be right - regardless of what you tow with.

Good to see you travel with the K-9.  I know what you mean about them getting bored.  Mine is always a bundle of energy aften even just a few hours of travel.  After driving all day, I'm pooped and want to just relax.  She's ready to get out and get after it!  She usually wins.  LOL
AvalancheRpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 7:47am
Welcome. Thanks for telling us your interesting story and including a picture - well done!
Caverkim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 8:36am
Congrats and enjoy!!  
caver*pod 175/Louisville KY
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 11:22pm
Welcome!  Others have had problems with the rear window in certain production runs - the new window seems to fix the problem as you found.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 2:12pm
Always nice to see another RP-151 out there.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>