R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Furnace help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace help
    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 7:10pm
I just bought a 2012 177. I haven't had to use the furnace but it's going to get below 10 degrees on Thursday and I'm worried my space heater won't do the job anymore. I just tried it out and, as I can see, the air blows out from under the bed. But the metal plate that covers it is missing! Is that a big deal? Should I not use it unless I have that cover? Also, the a/c from up above doesn't turn off, why is that? Help, I'm new at this!
Maddox Price
Winterpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Winterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 7:48pm
Make sure the thermostat is set on AU
Go to the fan setting then use + or - buttons
Should show hi,low,au on screen
Hope this helps
Winter pod
2013 R-Pod 178
2007 Silverato 1500 LT.
Trek Stash 8 29er hard tail
Old Town Kayak
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 8:06pm
In addition to the above it is not a big deal that the metal cover plate is missing.  It will still run normal.  Just be careful to keep everything a good distance away - nothing under the bed - for safety sake.  There have been quite a few here who have constructed a diverter so that the heat exiting the furnace gets out to the main area better, also freeing up a good half of the space under the bed so you can utilize it for storage, even with the furnace running.  It is a nice modification.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2022 at 9:45pm
Nothing to add about the furnace but at 10 degrees you almost certainly need to drain and or winterize your plumbing.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 6:23am
I would have thought that a 2012 would not have the integrated a/c and furnace thermostat like the later models do. My 2015 had a nice simple tstat dedicated to the furnace only. There is no reason firvhe roof a/c fan to be running when you're using the furnace.

As for the cover, you should replace it. It is designed to minimize the amount of hot outlet air that gets immediately pulled back throygh the inlet into the furnace. That's because the inlet about outlet ave right next to each other. If you don't have that the furnace will be inefficient at best and could overheat at worst.

OTOH a baffle redirecting the air out firm under the bed is not needed. If it was then it would have been put there at the factory. The gap between the floor and the bed is huge and allows for plenty of air convection into the room. Just don't fill it up under there with stuff and you will be fine.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Maddoxjprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 7:27am
Thanks! Any idea on where to find one of those covers?
Maddox Price
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 7:42am
I would start with the manufacture, I have a 2019 Rpod and the manufacture is Suburban model # NT-20SEQ but you will have to check your furnace to make sure of the manufacture and model number.  If it is in fact a Suburban their phone number is 423-775-2131 according my manual.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 10:00am
I had an early 80s camper which had the same furnace (except pilot ignition not direct spark) and it had the same cover. Suburban had been making that furnace forever. So you might try an RV shop in your area and see if they have an old one laying around.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 10:30am
Originally posted by offgrid

OTOH a baffle redirecting the air out firm under the bed is not needed. If it was then it would have been put there at the factory. The gap between the floor and the bed is huge and allows for plenty of air convection into the room. Just don't fill it up under there with stuff and you will be fine.
Here is where I would disagree with you. I built a diverter (not a baffle) for our RPod 179. It makes a big difference by diverting the heated air so it is better distributed throughout the cabin. I used to use a fan to help for this, but it is no longer needed with the diverter. Given that my DC to DC charger would be directly in the path of the hot air from the furnace, having the diverter is useful to ensure that it does not get overheated. Plus, I can safely put things in the empty space that otherwise would not be usable. I'm not saying to fill it up. There still needs to be room for return air flow, but some of the space can be used, even for items that might be heat sensitive. It might not strictly be needed, but it is a very good modification to make that some might find very desirable for the better heat distribution.

Edit: Just because the factory did not include it does not mean that it isn't needed. There are lots of modifications I have made that the factory did not include because it made things easier or better (in my opinion). Forest River is not necessarily going to put some items on because they want to keep the cost low. It just means that we get to do the modifications if we want to improve things.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 12:43pm
Agree, I have seen the same Suburban furnace on a variety of different TT's so the cover plate should be readily available from Suburban.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>